There are 51 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

#7 overall pick the bust pick of top 10 picks?

Joe Haden and Sedrick Ellis are both great players
What is your definition of a bust?
if this is about not warranted being drafted in the top 10 then it makes perfect sense. But if it's about guys being busts then it doesn't apply. Gotta clear up your argument. there is a big difference in being a non value draft pick and just being a flat out busts as a player.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by communist:
whats so bad about andre carter, michael huff, joe haden or sedrick ellis?

Would you draft Andre Carter and Michael Huff in top 10 if you could do the re-draft?

Too early to say anythin' about Haden and Ellis has played well.
we are talking about busts...players like vernon gholston. drafting huff or carter at 7th ovr might be a reach but i would not consider them as a bust at all.
there is always the question who else was considered to be drafted at 7th ovr in the same year and how he panned out ovr.

as for now, ellis and haden did enough to be considered as good drafts...

"only 16% of the time does a #7 pick warrant the selection." - I don't think coachingmatters is saying those guys are bust. He is implying, very few times a team picking at 7 has gotten the true value of it's draft pick.
Though, I think it means nothing when it comes to 49ers drafting at 7. Every year is different, every draft class is different, and this is the first draft class I can remember in a long time where there are 10-11 players who could be top 5 picks.

Exactly what I was implying.
whats so bad about andre carter, michael huff, joe haden or sedrick ellis?

Would you draft Andre Carter and Michael Huff in top 10 if you could do the re-draft?

Too early to say anythin' about Haden and Ellis has played well.
we are talking about busts...players like vernon gholston. drafting huff or carter at 7th ovr might be a reach but i would not consider them as a bust at all.
there is always the question who else was considered to be drafted at 7th ovr in the same year and how he panned out ovr.

as for now, ellis and haden did enough to be considered as good drafts...

"only 16% of the time does a #7 pick warrant the selection." - I don't think coachingmatters is saying those guys are bust. He is implying, very few times a team picking at 7 has gotten the true value of it's draft pick.
Though, I think it means nothing when it comes to 49ers drafting at 7. Every year is different, every draft class is different, and this is the first draft class I can remember in a long time where there are 10-11 players who could be top 5 picks.

Exactly what I was implying.
Any list with Bryant Young in it works for me. I don't care about other players.

Statistics without warnings shouldn't be allowed!

thats what i tried to tell the people in similar thread a long time ago...and thats why i dont understand these threads at all. it should be clear that we dont talk about the same circumstances year in and year out...other coaching staffs, other type of humans (in terms of character) and so on and so on.
Your list sucks you left out alot of very good players. Just how the hell do you not include Bryant McKinnie? He is a franchise LT for jebus sakes. Turley was a monster before the head injuries. I wouldnt post on anymore topics if I was you. Atleast until you actually find a subject/topic you actually know about.

thats what i tried to tell the people in similar thread a long time ago...and thats why i dont understand these threads at all. it should be clear that we dont talk about the same circumstances year in and year out...other coaching staffs, other type of humans (in terms of character) and so on and so on.

What dont you get? Its just the history of the #7 pick. Take it for what you want.
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Your list sucks you left out alot of very good players. Just how the hell do you not include Bryant McKinnie? He is a franchise LT for jebus sakes. Turley was a monster before the head injuries. I wouldnt post on anymore topics if I was you. Atleast until you actually find a subject/topic you actually know about.

McKinnie is in the draft list. And I don't think the personal attack is justified.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:

McKinnie is in the draft list. And I don't think the personal attack is justified.

Not only that but whats so special about Mckinnie? The guy has played for 10 years and he isnt a perrinial pro bowler or anything(hes played in one pro bowl). He certainly isnt as good as the players I bolded. Mckinnie is mediocrity at its finest.
#1 is probably the most busty pick because of the expectations.
You must eliminate any picks by the Raiders because Al Davis is an idiot.....
I really think that parick Peterson falls to us the same way Adrian Peterson did when he was drafted at#7. Everyone knew he was the best player in the draft, but they just kept passing on him.
Also I agree with the above post. It's not our fault Oakland picks in the top ten everyear and sometimes pick seventh.

Yea, you know - I laugh at some of the stats commentators mention during a game - like in soccer WC - "Brazil has never lost after being up 2-0 at halftime since 1952." How is that relevant? Brazilian players are different, opponents are different, it has zero significance.

Even if every team drafting 7th drafted a bust or a player who didn't return the value - it has nothin' to do with this year. It has zero significance to how we'll draft. I remember how everyone was so excited when we had the 11th pick - because that pick has a history of teams drafting a very good player. Sure, we ended up with Willis - but if we had the 10th pick, we'd still drafted Willis as he was rated pretty high up on our draft board.