LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 435 users in the forums

OTC's Post-Combine Full 2011 Draft (3/3/11)

Bump Pls see question above re Quinn
I love the idea of DeAndre Brown in the mid to late rounds.
Originally posted by ishkabibel:
OTC == I think Quinn is going to be great. However, I worry about his rush from OLB position. Seems one his attributes is being able to rush at full speed with his shoulder about 9 inches off the ground.I'm concerned he won't be able to do that from upright position. Would enjoy reading your thoughts on this. Actually anyone else is free to chime in as well.

That particular strength you mentioned is something that a guy like Quinn would bring us on all downs and situations. Some smaller prospects would not be able to get down with their hand in the dirt in Nickel and Dime packages and rush from the end. Quinn can do this. Sopoaga and McDonald, and the other DL in rotation will kick inside on those pass-rushing downs and we get ourselves a line combo that looks something like this: Quinn - Sopoaga - McDonald - J. Smith ... That's a very nice look, isn't it?

Brian Orakpo had similar concerns, but he has transitioned and excelled beautifully. So just as he has done so, I think Quinn will be fine. He has the athleticism to do it, and I believe once he is refined in technique at the position, he'd be a tremendous threat for us. There's always risk no matter who you draft, we just have to do our homework. IF they think he can do it, he'll be the pick if things pan out like this.
OTC:
Is Quinn/Miller significantly better than Kerrigan/Moch/Reed?
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
OTC:

Over Moch and Reed, yes. Reed has an outstanding set of physical tools and ability, but his production, although very solid, didn't quite match that. The idea is with NFL coaching and a move to the hybrid position, Reed could explode into an enormous pass-rushing threat.

Moch has incredible upside and is an absolute freak in terms of speed, but is a project and questions swirl on his ability to transition to LB, which is where he'll have to play because he's too small for DE in the NFL. Some think he may be nothing more than a nice situational rusher.

Now Quinn and Miller aren't that much greater than Kerrigan, and understandably, because all are top 20 worthy players. All three have the athleticism to stand up, all three have pass-rushing prowess, and that's how they're coincidentally ranked.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
OTC:

Over Moch and Reed, yes. Reed has an outstanding set of physical tools and ability, but his production, although very solid, didn't quite match that. The idea is with NFL coaching and a move to the hybrid position, Reed could explode into an enormous pass-rushing threat.

Moch has incredible upside and is an absolute freak in terms of speed, but is a project and questions swirl on his ability to transition to LB, which is where he'll have to play because he's too small for DE in the NFL. Some think he may be nothing more than a nice situational rusher.

Now Quinn and Miller aren't that much greater than Kerrigan, and understandably, because all are top 20 worthy players. All three have the athleticism to stand up, all three have pass-rushing prowess, and that's how they're coincidentally ranked.

So strategy wise if Baalke/Harbaugh felt they could get Kerrigan and be able to get into the backend of the 1st round to get Ponder (assuming that Ponder is worthy of a 1st round pick) would there be any wisdom in trading back and getting the passrusher and get the QB in the first round? I recognize that if the top of the 1st round talent is available then there is wisdom in getting the best available.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
OTC:

So strategy wise if Baalke/Harbaugh felt they could get Kerrigan and be able to get into the backend of the 1st round to get Ponder (assuming that Ponder is worthy of a 1st round pick) would there be any wisdom in trading back and getting the passrusher and get the QB in the first round? I recognize that if the top of the 1st round talent is available then there is wisdom in getting the best available.

If they wanted to give up someone they thought could be "elite" for someone who they think would be "very good" instead, then possibly, yes.
I would look at it as possible elite for possible two to three very goods?
Share 49ersWebzone