LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 251 users in the forums

OTC's Post-Combine Full 2011 Draft (3/3/11)

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Btw, Mike Lombardi on NFLN just went through his top-10 mock:

1.) Panthers - Blaine Gabbert, QB
2.) Broncos - Robert Quinn, DE
3.) Bills - Da'Quan Bowers, DE
4.) Bengals - Cam Newton, QB
5.) Cardinals - Patrick Peterson, CB
6.) Browns - A.J. Green, WR
7.) 49ers - Von Miller, OLB
8.) Titans - Nick Fairley, DT
9.) Cowboys - Marcell Dareus, DT/DE
10.) Redskins - Aldon Smith, DE/OLB

I don't like Lombardi. I think his mocks are often "out there" and come off as random, uneducated guesses. I can't see Aldon being a top ten pick, but everything aside, for the most part it's pretty feasible.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Btw, Mike Lombardi on NFLN just went through his top-10 mock:

1.) Panthers - Blaine Gabbert, QB could happen
2.) Broncos - Robert Quinn, DE very interesting, the broncos still have ayers and they need a DT badly.
3.) Bills - Da'Quan Bowers, DE also very interesting especially if we consider that the bills will play in a 3-4
4.) Bengals - Cam Newton, QB green over newton and mallett in the 2nd
5.) Cardinals - Patrick Peterson, CB could happen but i see miller over PP
6.) Browns - A.J. Green, WR no-brainer
7.) 49ers - Von Miller, OLB yeah baby yeah
8.) Titans - Nick Fairley, DT no-brainer
9.) Cowboys - Marcell Dareus, DT/DE what about prince??? but could happen either.
10.) Redskins - Aldon Smith, DE/OLB could happen
Great job OTC
Love Quinn to us.
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
In your mock draft, I like Dareus over Quinn. He had a better combine, actually played last year and will be a great DT opposite of Smith. If Miller was available, I would have selected him over both. While pass rush is a need, I like the best player available, and in my opinion that is Dareus.
[ Edited by Nuns on Mar 4, 2011 at 9:17 AM ]
Originally posted by Nuns:
In your mock draft, I like Dareus over Quinn. He had a better combine, actually played last year and will be a great DT opposite of Smith. If Miller was available, I would have selected him over both. While pass rush is a need, I like the best player available, and in my opinion that is Dareus.

I actually agree with this assessment. While I may slightly prefer Dareus, something tells me we'd select Quinn over Marcel if the two both were on the board.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

I actually agree with this assessment. While I may slightly prefer Dareus, something tells me we'd select Quinn over Marcel if the two both were on the board.

Really? I love both players, but it seems that Dareus would be a better "fit" in our scheme VS Quinn because Quinn IS a 4-3 DE more so than a 3-4 OLB, but his athletisim could allow him to stand up. Problem is he hasn't played that way, ever. Yet, Dareus did play the 3-4 DE in Alabama's scheme and excelled in it. Given the "learning curve" for Quinn, I would think Baalke, Harbaugh and Fangio would want Dareus.

Although, I would love me some Quinn! Damn it! I just want a pass rusher. Is that too much to ask with these two bad boys as top 10 picks in Miller and Quinn?

Originally posted by ninertico:

Really? I love both players, but it seems that Dareus would be a better "fit" in our scheme VS Quinn because Quinn IS a 4-3 DE more so than a 3-4 OLB, but his athletisim could allow him to stand up. Problem is he hasn't played that way, ever. Yet, Dareus did play the 3-4 DE in Alabama's scheme and excelled in it. Given the "learning curve" for Quinn, I would think Baalke, Harbaugh and Fangio would want Dareus.

Although, I would love me some Quinn! Damn it! I just want a pass rusher. Is that too much to ask with these two bad boys as top 10 picks in Miller and Quinn?

I mean, I wouldn't care so much either way. But you're right Quinn doesn't have OLB experience, but on some occasions he has dropped into coverage.

Dareus logically should be higher on the board, but I don't know if he will be. Whatever way it shakes out, at #7, we're going to get ourselves one dang good player this year.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninertico:

I mean, I wouldn't care so much either way. But you're right Quinn doesn't have OLB experience, but on some occasions he has dropped into coverage.

Dareus logically should be higher on the board, but I don't know if he will be. Whatever way it shakes out, at #7, we're going to get ourselves one dang good player this year.

Yea, this is what I'm really excited about. We're going to have plenty of choices at 7. The top 10 group in this year's draft is so talented - this is the anti-2005 draft.
Have to love Quinn and you cover all the bases, good mock! Question Brown as a need area (we have two possesson receivers starting), hoping for Jurnigen for his game breaking quickness.

Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Have to love Quinn and you cover all the bases, good mock! Question Brown as a need area (we have two possesson receivers starting), hoping for Jurnigen for his game breaking quickness.

It's an argument that is valid -- on whether we need a game-breaking speed guy over a mammoth red zone threat. We lack both, really. We also lack a reliable, clutch 3rd down receiver such as an Austin Collie (or Austin Pettis if you're looking at this years draft class).

Brown would fill that void and would be a great value. I would not disagree with a selection of a vertical threat, although some here will argue it's not as much of a need with Ginn (despite his inconsistent hands and alligator arms). I don't think Zeigler makes the team this season, and I expect us to draft a WR to give us at least 5 going into next season, with Crabtree, Morgan, Ginn, and Kyle Williams being the four incumbents.
I like it OTC but I really think Ponder will end up in the 1st I think he's answered questions over his health and I think either Seattle takes him or a team at the top will trade up to get him.

If it does shake up like this it looks like division rivals would be getting some great players.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
I like it OTC but I really think Ponder will end up in the 1st I think he's answered questions over his health and I think either Seattle takes him or a team at the top will trade up to get him.

If it does shake up like this it looks like division rivals would be getting some great players.

It's possible, and becoming more and more likely as Ponder's hype increases.

If that happens, however, we're likely to see at least one -- probably two of the top five QB's fall to the 2nd. Out of Gabbert, Newton, Locker, Mallet, and Ponder, the only two I'd say have just too much ability/potential/hype to fall out of the first are Gabbert and Newton.

It's possible that Locker, Mallet, and/or Ponder could all fall to the 2nd round. If they do, I think we'll take one of them -- unless we're infatuated with Andy Dalton to the point where we slightly reach for him in the 2nd.
OTC == I think Quinn is going to be great. However, I worry about his rush from OLB position. Seems one his attributes is being able to rush at full speed with his shoulder about 9 inches off the ground.I'm concerned he won't be able to do that from upright position. Would enjoy reading your thoughts on this. Actually anyone else is free to chime in as well.
  • dj43
I like getting a pass rusher with 1st. As you say, we have been missing that for years. Whether it is Miller or Quinn I would be happy. Dareus could be in the conversation as well but somehow I don't see him being ranked as high on Baalke's "needs" list as the other two.

I also like the CB on the 2nd instead of the other way around. Good pass rush makes the entire secondary better.

On a separate note, St Louis could be a big threat with Julio Jones drawing double coverage while Danny Amendola runs under routes. Combined with Steven Jackson, that offense will be one that will make Fangio stay up a few late nights. If that group stays healthy, the NFC West will no longer be sending a laughing stock to the playoffs.
Share 49ersWebzone