There are 186 users in the forums

OTC's Post-Combine Full 2011 Draft (3/3/11)

Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
SD, AB and SWAG's collective heads are going to explode, but I actually think Carolina will end up taking Gabbert #1 overall. Not that he's worthy (IMO), but the old adage holds true, that if you don't have a franchise QB and you THINK he could be one, you pull the trigger.

If Carolina had a 2nd rounder, and they liked Ponder a lot, I could see them going defense with the #1 overall pick then targeting Ponder...but they don't, so they have to make a franchise-defining move with this #1 overall. Keep in mind also, Jimmy Clausen was the previous coaching staff's mistake, not this one. IMO, they go in a new direction at QB, and that will be Gabbert.

~Once the CBA is agreed upon, Carolina signs veteran Billy Volek as the starter
~They trade Clausen for whatever they can get for him
~They draft Gabbert and groom him as the QB of the future
~St. Pierre and Null fight it out for the 3rd string QB spot

Other than that, I love your mock OTC.

Don't see it...just don't. The only time Gabberts name gained momentum was when Luck announced he was staying in school.
He filled a void that Cam was unable to at that point. I'm really not a fan of any of these guys but I still think Cam is the first QB taken.

I agree Jeff

who the hell is Jeff

SD, AB and SWAG's collective heads are going to explode, but I actually think Carolina will end up taking Gabbert #1 overall. Not that he's worthy (IMO), but the old adage holds true, that if you don't have a franchise QB and you THINK he could be one, you pull the trigger.

If Carolina had a 2nd rounder, and they liked Ponder a lot, I could see them going defense with the #1 overall pick then targeting Ponder...but they don't, so they have to make a franchise-defining move with this #1 overall. Keep in mind also, Jimmy Clausen was the previous coaching staff's mistake, not this one. IMO, they go in a new direction at QB, and that will be Gabbert.

Don't see it...just don't. The only time Gabberts name gained momentum was when Luck announced he was staying in school. He filled a void that Cam was unable to at that point. I'm really not a fan of any of these guys but I still think Cam is the first QB taken.

I think I am with Ghost on this one. Cam has all that talent in the world, but I think the stability of Gabbert, his football intelligence, and lack of outside issues make him the first QB off the board.

However, it is the draft, and there is still a month and a half to go.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Great job OTC. Been waiting for the new mock for awhile. Question though, where do you see Ponder going now after the combine? Do you think he will be there when we pick in the 2nd, and do you see Baalke/Harbaugh pulling the trigger to get him? Or do you see him going to one of the teams before us? If he's there when we pick, do you see him being the pick over House? Or do you see Dalton as their target QB? I also like the Deandre Brown pick. He's a huge WR, with alright speed (4.59), good strength, just needs to learn better route-running but I think he can be a great threat for us.

Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Like the two pass rusher picks. That issue has to be addressed once and for all.

A little skeptical of the 2nd and 3rd round picks. If Ponder was available in the second, I would jump on him at that point over waiting for Dalton in the third. Then again, finding a quality CB in the third would be harder than getting a good developmental QB.

Nice work!

You know, brock, I wouldn't disagree with either move -- unless we missed out on both. And Trav, Ponder should go in the 2nd round. I see no reason to believe he'll fall past that. I believe it's 50-50 on whether we draft him. Depends on whether or not Baalke values Ponder high enough over other BPA's and whether or not he feels we'll find just as good if not better value later in the draft.

Originally posted by lamontb:

Don't see it...just don't. The only time Gabberts name gained momentum was when Luck announced he was staying in school. He filled a void that Cam was unable to at that point. I'm really not a fan of any of these guys but I still think Cam is the first QB taken.

But we all know what's gonna happen when he wow's people at his pro day. They gonna look at how his measurables at the combine were on par with Newton. And his stock will begin to rise. Plus they will hype up a qb duel at the top of the draft b/c it gets more attention than Suh vs Mccoy duel. I agree that so far Gabbert main bump came when Luck stayed in school. And his 2nd bump came from other qb's not looking so great at the combine while he didn't throw at all. Him risisng to the top of the draft really isn't that crazy. I agree he's not worth it, but his agents now how to ramp up the hype and how to position him.

Hey OTC can you explain that ATL pick. I know TG isn't getting any younger, but they really could use some help defensively, or even a number 2 wr than a tight end.

Gabbert's Pro Day will be huge. If he impresses, and he probably will, he's going to shoot up every board -- including this one -- to first overall.

For Atlanta: There's always that one, "Well, hmm.. I guess it makes sense but they could've taken someone else" kind of pick in the draft, and I think this will be one of them. I think they just plan for the future and select the best prospect at the position to succeed Tony. If they don't, I see them going after a DB. After Rudolph, five other names they could take a look at are:

WR Torrey Smith, WR Leonard Hankerson, OL Pouncey, OT Sherrod, or CB Brandon Harris (would be a reach).

Originally posted by oldman9er:
Hate to be one of "those guys", but it's Devine... Noel Devine.

... and I really love this mock draft, OTC... bravo.

Chalk it up to sleep deprivation -- I posted this around 3 AM.

Ghost, and to all the others who might be going haywire after seeing Newton #1 overall, you could be spot on. Honestly, it was a toss up for me -- I started out with Gabbert first overall.. then changed to Newton.. then back to Gabbert.. then back to Newton.

As MD said, a Newton selection would create a heck of a buzz. My question is, Do they see just too much in terms of physical ability and potential to pass? For this mock, I'm saying they bite. The next one? Gosh, who knows, but my scattered mind tells me the next mock you see closer to draft time will probably have Gabbert or Bowers going there. Well. Maybe. Possibly. Maybe not. But maybe.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Mar 3, 2011 at 11:19 AM ]
Double post.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Mar 3, 2011 at 11:18 AM ]
*FIRST POST* lol been a niner fan for life and have been reading 49erswebzone for like 3 years now. finally a member lol. ANYWAYS-------Robert Quinn im not high on. i actually like Akeem Ayers more than him. So Prince in the first round based on your mock. then ayers in the 2nd if still there
Originally posted by jtwentytwo22:
*FIRST POST* lol been a niner fan for life and have been reading 49erswebzone for like 3 years now. finally a member lol. ANYWAYS-------Robert Quinn im not high on. i actually like Akeem Ayers more than him. So Prince in the first round based on your mock. then ayers in the 2nd if still there

I'm not too huge on Ayers because I think he's just a Manny Lawson clone. Not that I think Manny is a bad player, but Quinn is more of a pass rushing threat.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Great job OTC. Been waiting for the new mock for awhile. Question though, where do you see Ponder going now after the combine? Do you think he will be there when we pick in the 2nd, and do you see Baalke/Harbaugh pulling the trigger to get him? Or do you see him going to one of the teams before us? If he's there when we pick, do you see him being the pick over House? Or do you see Dalton as their target QB? I also like the Deandre Brown pick. He's a huge WR, with alright speed (4.59), good strength, just needs to learn better route-running but I think he can be a great threat for us.

Like the two pass rusher picks. That issue has to be addressed once and for all.

A little skeptical of the 2nd and 3rd round picks. If Ponder was available in the second, I would jump on him at that point over waiting for Dalton in the third. Then again, finding a quality CB in the third would be harder than getting a good developmental QB.

Nice work!

You know, brock, I wouldn't disagree with either move -- unless we missed out on both. And Trav, Ponder should go in the 2nd round. I see no reason to believe he'll fall past that. I believe it's 50-50 on whether we draft him. Depends on whether or not Baalke values Ponder high enough over other BPA's and whether or not he feels we'll find just as good if not better value later in the draft.

But we all know what's gonna happen when he wow's people at his pro day. They gonna look at how his measurables at the combine were on par with Newton. And his stock will begin to rise. Plus they will hype up a qb duel at the top of the draft b/c it gets more attention than Suh vs Mccoy duel. I agree that so far Gabbert main bump came when Luck stayed in school. And his 2nd bump came from other qb's not looking so great at the combine while he didn't throw at all. Him risisng to the top of the draft really isn't that crazy. I agree he's not worth it, but his agents now how to ramp up the hype and how to position him.

Hey OTC can you explain that ATL pick. I know TG isn't getting any younger, but they really could use some help defensively, or even a number 2 wr than a tight end.

Gabbert's Pro Day will be huge. If he impresses, and he probably will, he's going to shoot up every board -- including this one -- to first overall.

For Atlanta: There's always that one, "Well, hmm.. I guess it makes sense but they could've taken someone else" kind of pick in the draft, and I think this will be one of them. I think they just plan for the future and select the best prospect at the position to succeed Tony. If they don't, I see them going after a DB. After Rudolph, five other names they could take a look at are:

WR Torrey Smith, WR Leonard Hankerson, OL Pouncey, OT Sherrod, or CB Brandon Harris (would be a reach).

Originally posted by oldman9er:
Hate to be one of "those guys", but it's Devine... Noel Devine.

... and I really love this mock draft, OTC... bravo.

Chalk it up to sleep deprivation -- I posted this around 3 AM.

Ghost, and to all the others who might be going haywire after seeing Newton #1 overall, you could be spot on. Honestly, it was a toss up for me -- I started out with Gabbert first overall.. then changed to Newton.. then back to Gabbert.. then back to Newton.

As MD said, a Newton selection would create a heck of a buzz. My question is, Do they see just too much in terms of physical ability and potential to pass? For this mock, I'm saying they bite. The next one? Gosh, who knows, but my scattered mind tells me the next mock you see closer to draft time will probably have Gabbert or Bowers going there. Well. Maybe. Possibly. Maybe not. But maybe.

I don't think Cam is a horrible pick at all. In fact, it's hard to imagine a QB with as much overall raw talent/potential as Newton, so it's not a crazy pick in any way. But the business side of things might dictate going in a different direction.

Again, the thinking isn't that Gabbert is the best player in this draft, because he's not. The calculus is...they need a QB, and that QB has to be worth "1st overall" money both on and off the field. Many of the experts believe Gabbert to be the top rated QB in this draft, is clean off the field, has all the tools (size/arm strength/mobility/leadership) to possibly be a great QB and definitely as the intellectual horse-power needed to digest and run a pro-style offense.

Spending that kind of money is a huge gamble regardless of who they pick....but if they go with a QB, Gabbert is likely the safer bet, which means he's likely to be the pick.

Nice work!

Does any QB ever have a bad pro day...? Their field, their WR's, their scripted throws...how do you mess that up? Every QB should have a great pro day!!
Originally posted by NinerGM:
It's very hard for me to see Cam #1 overall to Carolina who just invested a 2nd last year at QB.
think the same but "new regimes mean new QBs" is the argument here, imo.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Love the Quinn pick. Also a big fan of the Romeus pick. What a lot of people forget is that he was a 1st round talent prior to last season and his injury hurt his stock.

I'm a little up in the air with the Davon House pick, maybe because I haven't watched him play. At that point, if we're looking corner, Johnny Patrick or Rock Carmichael would be a better selection, no?

Also, not a big fan of Devine. I just don't think he'd cut it in the pros. I'd much rather take Dion Lewis there.
house is rated as a 2nd-round prospect whereas carmichael should be available in the 3rd or even in the 4th...and that was even before the combine, iirc.
[ Edited by communist on Mar 3, 2011 at 12:51 PM ]
Explain your reasoning for passing on AJ Green. Even though WR isn't the greatest need we can't pass on a talent like Green.

Originally posted by communist:
It's very hard for me to see Cam #1 overall to Carolina who just invested a 2nd last year at QB.
Love the Quinn pick. Also a big fan of the Romeus pick. What a lot of people forget is that he was a 1st round talent prior to last season and his injury hurt his stock.

I'm a little up in the air with the Davon House pick, maybe because I haven't watched him play. At that point, if we're looking corner, Johnny Patrick or Rock Carmichael would be a better selection, no?

Also, not a big fan of Devine. I just don't think he'd cut it in the pros. I'd much rather take Dion Lewis there.
house is rated as a 2nd-round prospect whereas carmichael should be available in the 3rd or even in the 4th...and that was even before the combine, iirc.

You're probably right about Carmichael being a 3rd round prospect. IMO I feel like he'd be a major steal in this draft coming from a university known for grooming good corners. And like I said, Johnny Patrick is also a good choice in the 2nd.
Originally posted by Go49erss:
Explain your reasoning for passing on AJ Green. Even though WR isn't the greatest need we can't pass on a talent like Green.

For whatever reason, I can't see Baalke putting Green ahead of Quinn on the final board right now. Perhaps this could change in the coming month and a half, but for now, despite the unmistakable talent Green possesses, I think we'd go in a different direction.

It's a close call, really. Quinn and Green are both tremendous players and I don't think the 49ers would be going wrong for going in either direction.

You're probably right about Carmichael being a 3rd round prospect. IMO I feel like he'd be a major steal in this draft coming from a university known for grooming good corners. And like I said, Johnny Patrick is also a good choice in the 2nd.

Patrick is a little on the slower side (4.6 forty), with less strength to contend with more physical receivers and help in defending the run. Technically, he's pretty solid, but not quite on par with what House brings to the table.

Patrick is a little on the slower side (4.6 forty), with less strength to contend with more physical receivers and help in defending the run. Technically, he's pretty solid, but not quite on par with what House brings to the table.

I really need to watch some clips on this House kid. Seems like a few of you are pretty high on the guy.
Btw, Mike Lombardi on NFLN just went through his top-10 mock:

1.) Panthers - Blaine Gabbert, QB
2.) Broncos - Robert Quinn, DE
3.) Bills - Da'Quan Bowers, DE
4.) Bengals - Cam Newton, QB
5.) Cardinals - Patrick Peterson, CB
6.) Browns - A.J. Green, WR
7.) 49ers - Von Miller, OLB
8.) Titans - Nick Fairley, DT
9.) Cowboys - Marcell Dareus, DT/DE
10.) Redskins - Aldon Smith, DE/OLB
Share 49ersWebzone