There are 91 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Changing face of the draft?

First post so be gentle!!
With the CBA being argued over at the moment I think it’s fair to say that the two sides will eventually come to an agreement! One thing they seem to be agreed on even at this stage is that there will be a rookie salary cap, vets are unhappy at unproven kids earning more than them and owners do not want to pay millions for “potential”.
With this in mind my question is will this change the way teams approach the draft and could the change start this year. In drafts gone by teams would be eyeing this crop of QB’s with suspicion, let’s be honest it’s a far from stellar year, not willing to spend a top pick and pay big bucks out on a weak group. However if a cap is in place this takes away a lot of the gamble, if you take somebody like Cam Newton with a top 5 pick (Buffalo at 3?) and he works out you’re a genius if he busts you haven’t lost the huge amounts you would have before and no more than any other player you would have selected.
With the QB position so important I can see far more going in the first round and much higher than before because the risk has been reduced on what is the premier position. I also think this could affect our draft strategy as there may not be any serviceable QB’s making it to the second round and the top prospects will be snapped up early, does this skew our strategy toward signing veterans?
Hope that makes sense, and remember first post be nice!!!
Originally posted by Hammerhead:
First post so be gentle!!
With the CBA being argued over at the moment I think it’s fair to say that the two sides will eventually come to an agreement! One thing they seem to be agreed on even at this stage is that there will be a rookie salary cap, vets are unhappy at unproven kids earning more than them and owners do not want to pay millions for “potential”.
With this in mind my question is will this change the way teams approach the draft and could the change start this year. In drafts gone by teams would be eyeing this crop of QB’s with suspicion, let’s be honest it’s a far from stellar year, not willing to spend a top pick and pay big bucks out on a weak group. However if a cap is in place this takes away a lot of the gamble, if you take somebody like Cam Newton with a top 5 pick (Buffalo at 3?) and he works out you’re a genius if he busts you haven’t lost the huge amounts you would have before and no more than any other player you would have selected.
With the QB position so important I can see far more going in the first round and much higher than before because the risk has been reduced on what is the premier position. I also think this could affect our draft strategy as there may not be any serviceable QB’s making it to the second round and the top prospects will be snapped up early, does this skew our strategy toward signing veterans?
Hope that makes sense, and remember first post be nice!!!

Before we can answer any of your questions, I'm going to help you out around here. We first off need your social security #, your mothers maiden name, your favorite dogs name, and your 16 digit credit card #. Sorry this is just how the webzone works........honest.

But in regards to your question, Baalke and Harbaugh both said they plan on drafting like normal. I don't see us "reaching" for need over drafting BPA. If we are to draft a QB, I believe that the we will get him in a correlation with where he is supposed to be picked and not just grabbing one out of fear that all the good ones will not be there later. Is that how you wanted me to answer?
Before we can answer any of your questions, I'm going to help you out around here. We first off need your social security #, your mothers maiden name, your favorite dogs name, and your 16 digit credit card #. Sorry this is just how the webzone works........honest.
I am forwarding that information as we speak
I just get the feeling that any decent QB's (even ones not that great) will go far earlier than before because the financial risk will have been removed.
Glad to hear we won't be reaching, but with the QB spot our obvious biggest need will a rookie cap see us trade up to select one when we would not have needed to any other year or do we forget a QB in the draft and sign veterans?
I think a rookie cap will forever change the make-up of the first round and make getting a QB all that harder unless you have a top pick or are willing to trade up.
Originally posted by Hammerhead:
I am forwarding that information as we speak
I just get the feeling that any decent QB's (even ones not that great) will go far earlier than before because the financial risk will have been removed.
Glad to hear we won't be reaching, but with the QB spot our obvious biggest need will a rookie cap see us trade up to select one when we would not have needed to any other year or do we forget a QB in the draft and sign veterans?
I think a rookie cap will forever change the make-up of the first round and make getting a QB all that harder unless you have a top pick or are willing to trade up.

Baalke seems like a GM that if he sees someone worth trading up for, he'd move up and get him. For example, lets say Christian Ponder, he was considered a 2nd rounder....but may have moved himself up to late 1st after his Senior Bowl and Combine performances, I believe if Baalke/Harbaugh believe he can be a good QB for the Niners, I can see Baalke moving up into the 1st to get him.
Part of you is very right and another part might be wrong. You are right about now there may be more of a push to gamble and select qbs with the new salary cap..
However this is only correct under the assumption that money and the owners might want to take this risk bc instead of putting 60 mil into a top five qb and 40 mil guaranteed now they will just be spending a cap figure....say 2 mil a year vs 10.

If they gamble on more qbs they are just as easily going to gamble on another position. Gms and coaches arent saving money only the owners and they all want to look good and keep their jobs so i think this will not change the draft strategy at all. It might change it after the top 15 or 20 where they dont have to invest much money and might be worth the risk.