LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 261 users in the forums

Comparisons

I know that in the long run comparisons of draft prospects to pro players doesn't mean very much and is often inaccurate. Still, I always enjoy them because it gives me a chace to see the type of player they can potentially be if they reach their potential. Just for fun I thought I'd start a thread where we can compare prospects that are relevent to the Niners to pro guys. I'll start it feel free to join in.

Guys that I haven't seen play I didn't comment on.

Von Miller - James Harrison

Harrison is the only 3-4 LB who has size similar to Von Miller (6-2 240 ish) everyone else is about 6-5 250 -270. Due to this their games appear similar to me. They are both polished pass rushers with multiple pass rush moves and who have to rely on their quickness to be successful.

Patrick Peterson - Charles Woodson

Both guys are bigger corners who can play press coverage, jam and rerout recievers but still have enough speed to run with most recievers.

Prince Amukamara - Darrelle Revis

Christian Ponder - Matt Hasselbeck

Both guys are accurate/efficient QB's whith better than expected mobility. They don't have great arm's but their arms are more than strong enough to make all the throws(esp in a WCO). They also have very good leadership skills.

Blaine Gabbert - Ben Roethlisberger

I don't know why, and I may be way off, but I just see Roethlisberger when I see him. I really haven't watched him much so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

More to come.
Cam Newton=Vince Young 2.0

Julio Jones reminds me of Roddy White

Patrick Peterson reminds me of a more physical Antonio Cromartie

Blaine Gabbert reminds me of Alex Smith a little bit
Jake Locker = Cody Pickett.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
1) DaQuan Bowers = Richard Dent (Chicago)

2) Nick Fairley = Warren Sapp

3) Patrick Peterson = Eric Wright (SF)

4) VON MILLER = Joey Porter

5) Cam Newton = Runs like Randall and throws like Bledsoe

6) Prince Akamura = Asante Samuel

7) Blaine Gabbert = Ryan Leaf

8) AJ GREEN = Tory Holt

9) Julio Jones = Terrell Owens

10) Marcell Dareus = Bryant Young
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:

rumour has it peterson knows all his kids names, aswell as nieces and nephews
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:

rumour has it peterson knows all his kids names, aswell as nieces and nephews

• 9moon
  • Veteran
Cody Pickett i thought had a chance to be a good QB in the NFL.. He was popular with the fans.. he's a gunslinger.. but Nolan never allowed him to develop nor keep in the roster because Cody was making Nolan looked like a fool for drafting Alex Smith..

Had we had a coach that fought for Cody, I think that he'd be the 49ers QB right now.. and a very good one..
Originally posted by 9moon:
Cody Pickett i thought had a chance to be a good QB in the NFL.. He was popular with the fans.. he's a gunslinger.. but Nolan never allowed him to develop nor keep in the roster because Cody was making Nolan looked like a fool for drafting Alex Smith..

Had we had a coach that fought for Cody, I think that he'd be the 49ers QB right now.. and a very good one..

Cody... Is that you??

I did like Cody Pickett though
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
hahah!!!

see what i mean, 9er fans like Cody!!
Von Miller=Greg Lloyd

Sione Fua=Kelly Gregg

Ricky Stanzi=Matt Cassel

Prince Amukamara=Ike Taylor

Roc Carmichael=Dunta Robinson

Anybody got a good one for Salas??? Cant think of any!

Originally posted by BigBug415:
Jake Locker = Cody Pickett.

I liked Pickett, he had a way better arm than Dorsey or Rattay, besides any QB that plays on Special Teams can't be all bad.
Looks like most people are just doing size comparisons.
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
I know that in the long run comparisons of draft prospects to pro players doesn't mean very much and is often inaccurate. Still, I always enjoy them because it gives me a chace to see the type of player they can potentially be if they reach their potential. Just for fun I thought I'd start a thread where we can compare prospects that are relevent to the Niners to pro guys. I'll start it feel free to join in.

Guys that I haven't seen play I didn't comment on.

Von Miller - James Harrison

Harrison is the only 3-4 LB who has size similar to Von Miller (6-2 240 ish) everyone else is about 6-5 250 -270. Due to this their games appear similar to me. They are both polished pass rushers with multiple pass rush moves and who have to rely on their quickness to be successful.

Harrison is a fair comparison, but I don't think he's the only other 3-4 OLB that size. Dummerville, Woodley, and Tapp are all a bit short aren't they?

Honestly, I think being a little lower can be an asset for pass rushers. Gives you better leverage.
Patrick Peterson=Nnamdi Asomugha maybe, or he kind of reminds me of Ronnie Lott(although I didn't get to see Ronnie play very much so I'm using him mainly as a size/speed comparison, and is a good hitter although not as ferocious as Ronnie). Ironically enough Nnamdi and Ronnie aren't very similar as player, Ronnie was more of a playmaker by getting INTs and eventually made the switch to safety and a huge hitter. Nnamdi is more of a shutdown corner. We'll see, he could go either way. I've actually seen Peterson play quite a bit.

Prince=Revis(potentially) He is so technically sound, and he gets a ton of passes defensed. He's usually in great position. He could turn out to be a lockdown corner IMO. His floor is pretty high IMO, like he is definitely going to be atleast a decent player even if he's not great. But he has a good chance to be great IMO.

Greg LIttle=TO or Boldin. NObody really remembers this guy real well since he was suspended all year, but he is really thick and explosive and once he gets the ball in his hands watch out. He has some decent height in addition to being really muscular. He actually has pretty good hands. I'm going off what I saw in 09 since he didn't play this year.

Jon Baldwin=JJ Stokes. I'm not a big fan of Baldwin. He's got great size and athleticism, so his ceiling is similar to Plaxico Burress when he was in his prime. But aside from potential, watching the actual player I wasn't that impressed. He wasn't real productive this year and he gets by quite a bit on size and athleticism. He's pretty fast but he seems to not play with great effort all the time. He also made some weird comments blaming the coach and the QB I believe for his lack of productivity. So I'm not a real big fan, he could still turn out good though.

JJ Watt=present day Justin Smith. The guy has a really good motor, quite a bit of size, and he can be a DE in either the 3-4 or the 4-3. He can get in the backfield and get to the QB a little bit. Earlier in his career Justin was more explosive and smaller but he has bulked up to play in the 3-4. JJ Watt probably won't be as productive but he'll still be pretty good.

Derrick Locke=Brian Westbrook. Small and fast and can catch the ball out of the backfield. Not a workhorse like an Adrian Peterson but you can get him the ball quite a bit and he's really versatile. I like his game quite a bit and I'd spend a pick on him. IMO he might not turn out to be a the typical every down back(and I think everyone knows that), but he could still turn out to be a really good player.
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:

3) Patrick Peterson = Eric Wright (SF)

Eric Wright: 6'1, 185 lbs.
Patrick Peterson, 6'1, 220 lbs.

wut

Quote:

6) Prince Akamura = Asante Samuel

Asante Samuel: 5'10, 180 lbs.
Prince Amukamara, 6'1, 205 lbs.

wut