LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 277 users in the forums

Cam Newton - videos and more

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
It is difficult to make a full evaluation based on the videoclip provided from 1090, but here are some general observations:

1) Outside of a few throws that appeared to be slightly behind the receiver (mostly on underneath routes), he threw the ball accurately.

2) Most scripted QB drills do not have pseudo rushers coming after him, but a number of snaps included "pass rushers" making him move in the pocket. It is a better simulation than dropping back with nobody moving forward from the LOS.

3) Newton's deep balls were sharp, very accurate. Not always easy in a place like San Diego, where the wind can play havoc with throws.

4) While much of the throwing was scripted, Trent Dilfer actually guided the QB coach to make specific throws on specific patterns, and Newton looked sharp on most of these throws.

Overall, with limited video here, all in all, it appeared to be a terrific workout. You have to hand it to their team. It takes a lot of confidence to perform this workout this early in the draft season. Most QB's wouldn't try this "stunt" at all, especially one attempting to transition under the center.

It appears that unless Gabbert really falls apart, two QB's are all but locks to be selected in the top 10 picks, and if Newton's workout is sharp on campus and he alleviates some of the character concerns, he has to be a candidate for that 7th pick, if he happens to slide that far, which I doubt.

Thats what Ive been saying for the last what 2 months?
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
where can we find the workout clip?
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
where can we find the workout clip?

http://www.xx1090sandiego.com/pages/xx1090tv#vmix_media_id=61818641
As to be expected, he aced the workout. Which didnt answer any of the main questions about him. Everyone knows he has the size, athleticism and arm scouts drool over.

Work ethic, smarts, leadership, desire to be the best and the "hype/father" baggage are the questions I got. Interviews will be key for him. Unfortunatley, none of us will know the answers til the draft, as everything you hear will likely be smoke screens.

Also, I got questions about his short/meduim accuracy and ability/confidence to throw into tight windows. He does have good deep ball accuracy, which is a plus in a run happy offense. His mobility is a major plus to the run game. It stops the DE and OLB from "crashing in" on inside runs. Gotta love the threat of the bootleg.

In summary, a top 5 pick physically, major questions mentally and emotionally.
Originally posted by mtminer:
As to be expected, he aced the workout. Which didnt answer any of the main questions about him. Everyone knows he has the size, athleticism and arm scouts drool over.

Work ethic, smarts, leadership, desire to be the best and the "hype/father" baggage are the questions I got. Interviews will be key for him. Unfortunatley, none of us will know the answers til the draft, as everything you hear will likely be smoke screens.

Also, I got questions about his short/meduim accuracy and ability/confidence to throw into tight windows. He does have good deep ball accuracy, which is a plus in a run happy offense. His mobility is a major plus to the run game. It stops the DE and OLB from "crashing in" on inside runs. Gotta love the threat of the bootleg.

In summary, a top 5 pick physically, major questions mentally and emotionally.

Nobody doubts his leadership....I have seen every AU game this year he commands not only the huddle, but the entire team....

Oh and desire to be the best too.....through all the adversity he got better. That speaks volumes. 2 Championships on his resume aint to shabby, so I think Desire to Be the Best can be withdawn as well.
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Originally posted by SWAGG-ER:
Originally posted by Atl49er:
Originally posted by wailers15:
Damn it!!! Now we may have to move up to get Cam! IDK why all these people on here are hating on Cam, as Trent Dilfer just reported, there aren't many people in the World that can throw the ball like Cam did today!

who the f**k cares how you throw a football. f**k my cousin can chuck it with a beautiful spiral 60 yards with ease, he can't play worht a lick. Dude Kyle boller from a knee at the 50 yard line perfect spiral through the goal posts, jamarcus russell easily throws a 70 yarder money. they all suck. f**k Trent Dilfer wtf does he know?

Oh Great..You're prob a guy that is dieing for us to keep Alex Smith...to huh?!?! LOL!

My bad, I forgot you played in the NFL and worked for ESPN longer than Trent Dilfer..that makes you an expert..right! Get a clue...everybody is harping on us to take a db, or a pash rusher...HELLO, we have one QB under contract and JH has already stated that QB is the most important position on the field.

I can't wait until we take Cam and listen to Trent and JH gush over his talents!!

seriously? lol. one not high on alex smith but i'd have him as a BACKUP, and that's it. that makes the most sense. We can get a Vet QB in FA and draft a qb in the later rounds.
sorry but trent dilfer's mouth piece and history speaks loudly for himself. He was in awe of Jimmy Clausen, He said he was hands down the best QB in that draft being pro ready and able to come in and start right away. How did that work out for him? Colt McCoy had by far the better yr. Siad the same thing about Josh Freeman and ALEX SMITH!!!!!!!

Dude you need to get a clue. no need to wet the paper and draft a QB with our first pick. there are other qb's who have a btter football iq (reading coverages, plays etc) so why spend that first pick on a qb. Newton is not a franchise QB or he goes #1 to Carolina. Fact.

We need help on Defense, and sorry but the CB's & OLB/DE's that are projected to be around will and would help us out asap. not a rookie qb to come in and learn a new system as well as the nfl. come on man.

So hello yes we have only 1 qb under contract so why are qwe wetting the bed. we resign one of the smith's as a backup, hit the trade market or free agency.

Josh Johnson comes to mind. he didn't do to bad 2 years ago. he's a harbaugh guy.

No offense Dude...but thank God you are not the GM for this team! Are you not tired of being stuck in mediocrity..excuse me...SUCKING?!?!? Alex Smith never needs to wear SF on his helmet again #1... back up or not. And your idea to draft another back-up (Josh J or a 3rd round Qb) for our team does not help either!

I'm not basing my opinion of Cam on Trent Dilfer..just merely stating that he was blown away by his film study of Cam and first hand witness of the workout. What impresses me about Cam more than anything else...is the fact I've watched him all year long and he is a born leader that makes everyone around him better!

How many players can say that they have won a Championship at EVERY LEVEL they have competed....high school, Jr. College and D-1 College!?! Can you name another one...?

Say what you want, try and compare him to all the other athletic Qb's with big arms..but the truth of the matter is..there is no comparison!

How many qb's that win a high school championship even have to go to jr. college?

BOOM.

Probably more than you think...I dont think I need to remind you that he went to Florida to be Tebow's successor....and then his story began. End story.

So he has a 1 yr story? Cool bro. Cool story. Cool story bro.

I dont have the time and obviously not the patience. Look at the many Cam threads. If you really are that clueless, then all your posts you have made make you look your age. Stay Classy

I'm just saying someone said he's better than Andrew Luck. That is just crazy. The truth is nobody knows how good this kid is or can be because of the system he played in. Is he better than vince young? Idk. Mentally, he'd have to be, but physically? Who really knows.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
It is difficult to make a full evaluation based on the videoclip provided from 1090, but here are some general observations:

1) Outside of a few throws that appeared to be slightly behind the receiver (mostly on underneath routes), he threw the ball accurately.

2) Most scripted QB drills do not have pseudo rushers coming after him, but a number of snaps included "pass rushers" making him move in the pocket. It is a better simulation than dropping back with nobody moving forward from the LOS.

3) Newton's deep balls were sharp, very accurate. Not always easy in a place like San Diego, where the wind can play havoc with throws.

4) While much of the throwing was scripted, Trent Dilfer actually guided the QB coach to make specific throws on specific patterns, and Newton looked sharp on most of these throws.

Overall, with limited video here, all in all, it appeared to be a terrific workout. You have to hand it to their team. It takes a lot of confidence to perform this workout this early in the draft season. Most QB's wouldn't try this "stunt" at all, especially one attempting to transition under the center.

It appears that unless Gabbert really falls apart, two QB's are all but locks to be selected in the top 10 picks, and if Newton's workout is sharp on campus and he alleviates some of the character concerns, he has to be a candidate for that 7th pick, if he happens to slide that far, which I doubt.

Thats what Ive been saying for the last what 2 months?

This video showed us nothing that we didn't already know about cam newton. Great great great college qb. Will his game translate? This video did nothing to prove or disprove whether it will.
  • Paul
  • Veteran
my main thing is why did Vick go number 1 in 2001? I don't see any real difference between Vick and these other athletic Qbs that have come out since. Newton will go top 10 and ultimately his work ethic will decide his career.
Damn it!!! Now we may have to move up to get Cam! IDK why all these people on here are hating on Cam, as Trent Dilfer just reported, there aren't many people in the World that can throw the ball like Cam did today!

who the f**k cares how you throw a football. f**k my cousin can chuck it with a beautiful spiral 60 yards with ease, he can't play worht a lick. Dude Kyle boller from a knee at the 50 yard line perfect spiral through the goal posts, jamarcus russell easily throws a 70 yarder money. they all suck. f**k Trent Dilfer wtf does he know?

Oh Great..You're prob a guy that is dieing for us to keep Alex Smith...to huh?!?! LOL!

My bad, I forgot you played in the NFL and worked for ESPN longer than Trent Dilfer..that makes you an expert..right! Get a clue...everybody is harping on us to take a db, or a pash rusher...HELLO, we have one QB under contract and JH has already stated that QB is the most important position on the field.

I can't wait until we take Cam and listen to Trent and JH gush over his talents!!

seriously? lol. one not high on alex smith but i'd have him as a BACKUP, and that's it. that makes the most sense. We can get a Vet QB in FA and draft a qb in the later rounds.
sorry but trent dilfer's mouth piece and history speaks loudly for himself. He was in awe of Jimmy Clausen, He said he was hands down the best QB in that draft being pro ready and able to come in and start right away. How did that work out for him? Colt McCoy had by far the better yr. Siad the same thing about Josh Freeman and ALEX SMITH!!!!!!!

Dude you need to get a clue. no need to wet the paper and draft a QB with our first pick. there are other qb's who have a btter football iq (reading coverages, plays etc) so why spend that first pick on a qb. Newton is not a franchise QB or he goes #1 to Carolina. Fact.

We need help on Defense, and sorry but the CB's & OLB/DE's that are projected to be around will and would help us out asap. not a rookie qb to come in and learn a new system as well as the nfl. come on man.

So hello yes we have only 1 qb under contract so why are qwe wetting the bed. we resign one of the smith's as a backup, hit the trade market or free agency.

Josh Johnson comes to mind. he didn't do to bad 2 years ago. he's a harbaugh guy.

No offense Dude...but thank God you are not the GM for this team! Are you not tired of being stuck in mediocrity..excuse me...SUCKING?!?!? Alex Smith never needs to wear SF on his helmet again #1... back up or not. And your idea to draft another back-up (Josh J or a 3rd round Qb) for our team does not help either!

I'm not basing my opinion of Cam on Trent Dilfer..just merely stating that he was blown away by his film study of Cam and first hand witness of the workout. What impresses me about Cam more than anything else...is the fact I've watched him all year long and he is a born leader that makes everyone around him better!

How many players can say that they have won a Championship at EVERY LEVEL they have competed....high school, Jr. College and D-1 College!?! Can you name another one...?

Say what you want, try and compare him to all the other athletic Qb's with big arms..but the truth of the matter is..there is no comparison!

How many qb's that win a high school championship even have to go to jr. college?

BOOM.

Probably more than you think...I dont think I need to remind you that he went to Florida to be Tebow's successor....and then his story began. End story.

So he has a 1 yr story? Cool bro. Cool story. Cool story bro.

I dont have the time and obviously not the patience. Look at the many Cam threads. If you really are that clueless, then all your posts you have made make you look your age. Stay Classy

I'm just saying someone said he's better than Andrew Luck. That is just crazy. The truth is nobody knows how good this kid is or can be because of the system he played in. Is he better than vince young? Idk. Mentally, he'd have to be, but physically? Who really knows.

ok....much better than your previous reply. Yes he is no Luck....but his ceiling is close to Lucks, obviously with different attributes....but, it depends on how much time Cam wants to put in...
Originally posted by frenchmov:
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Originally posted by frenchmov:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

BOOM.

You wouldnt know what a good QB looks like. You have Stanzis UDFA ass as your top QB. Name a QB in this class better than Newton and why. Newton didnt choke vs Oregon like Luck. Luck choked and cost Stanford the game throwing 2 picks to get Oregon back into thegame. Which they ended up blowing out Stanford. Newton didnt let that happen and had a much better game than Luck vs Oregon. In fact Luck wishes he had Newtons poise cause then Stanford would have went to the National Championship if he didnt choke s Oregon.

So . . . . if Luck came out this year you would prefer Newton over Luck?

I would definately. Imo you dont pass on guys with Newtons poise and leadership. I also saw alot more of Newton and only saw Luck play twice. USC and Oregon so im probably biased on that alone. I think both are awesome prospects but my choice would still be Newton. He escaped Oregons defense with a win and kept his defense off the field securing the National Championship. This whole season he showed off amazing things from blowing out great teams to coming back against great teams. Id take him at 7 over anyone. Even over my man crush Peterson.

was his poise in the national championship when he was overthrowing wide open WR's or fumbling the ball away to oregon? or was it when he handed off for that fluke gigantic run near the end?

He was off on those 2 throws by maybe a foot or 2. Newton also had another bad pass picked early too. So what? He recovered from that and Mathews made a great play in popping the ball out while Newton was scrambling. Great play by Mathews whos imo gonna be a good NFL player. Why dont you mention how Newton kept drives going giving his gassed DL time breath and get oxygen. Or didnt you see them gasping for air in the 1st qtr? How did you like him moving that offense vs a top ranked defense all game? How did you like him keeping cool under extreme pressure despite getting hit all game?

lol if you think those were his only 2 "bad" throws in that game then i have to question if you watched the game.

Outside the 1st qtr yeah pretty much imo.

and the extent of newtons play is this: make 1 read, if it isn't open then take off. guess what? in the NFL, ends are as fast as linebackers, linebackers are as fast as CB's, and CB's are on another level. not only that, but he isn't playing against undisciplined kids in the NFL. he is playing against grown men who have been doing this for years. he is playing against defensive schemes by professionals with the talent to exploit things.

You dont have the kind of success he had last year if he was only 1 read n go. To say or think so after watching him is silly. Since you obviously dont know, college defenses will stop that s**t real quick. The coaches in college are as professional as any NFL coach. The defenses they run are just as disiplined as well. Youre showing ur ass with that opinion.

newton has some physical skills, but so does every player in the nfl. even the 53rd guy on your roster has or had (at one time) some great potential or elite skill. the odds of making it to the nfl are insanely slim, so the guys there are the best of the best. newton will not be able to rely on his physical skills in the NFL alone.

No he wont so you hope he can digest a playbook and execute the plays. Hes proven to be able to do that. While showing off great leadership,poise and rare athletic ability. On a team with a solid coaching staff you take him. Alot of people said Young was 1 read n go too. How did that work out again?

does he have the desire and will to be a truly great QB? i don't know. but based on what we know about him (a cheater at florida, cloud of controversey around him with his dad getting paid but him supposedly not knowing) i wouldn't be willing to bet a top 10 pick on it.

So based on rumors and little fact you take away what he does on the field? Id bet after the combine and interviews you will change your bet. This is a good kid with rare potential for any team.

[So based on rumors and little fact you take away what he does on the field? Id bet after the combine and interviews you will change your bet. This is a good kid with rare potential for any team.[/b]
I think you're right.
QB's get over drafted.
  • dj43
Originally posted by TX9R:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by TX9R:
Originally posted by theginz2004:
Quote:
According to ESPN analyst Trent Dilfer, Auburn QB Cam Newton's media day workout Thursday was "phenomenal."
"If scouts saw this they'd have been slobbering," added Dilfer. Newton's measurables have never been in question, so it's hardly surprising that he excelled in a controlled environment. It is a positive sign, though, that the tutoring on his footwork and acclimation to working under center have paid off. It's certainly possible that a team with a top-five selection will fall in love Newton, but his character concerns will still be scrutinized over the next two months.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6491/cam-newton

Lost me at "Dilfer said". Same guy who said Alex Smith and Mark Sanchez would be stars.

Of course he said that about Smith he played with the guy. And Sanchez is on his way. 2 years 2 conference championships.

from 2010 draft: Dilfer sees Bradford as extremely raw and a player who hasn't performed in a system even remotely close to the ones preferred by NFL teams. He thinks Bradford's accuracy falls off as the Oklahoma quarterback goes through his reads.

Further, drafting Bradford could be a "catastrophic mistake" for the Rams if they did not handle him properly. He thinks Jimmy Clausen is by far the best college quarterback right now.
more: Josh Freeman, a rookie, was named Tampa Bay's starting quarterback Wednesday. Dilfer thinks that decision could be a mistake.

Basically in the 2 years Dilfer has been on TV, he's pretty much been wrong about every QB he's talked about.
Actually, the Rams did an excellent job of handling Bradford. Pat Shurmur custom made an offense for him that spoon fed him tiny bites of the field until he had grown his confidence and understanding. In this case, Dilfer was correct.
Cam is doing what is best for Cam. I don't blame him. In this age of over inflated egos and salaries, Cam is doing what I expect will happen more often . It's all about grabbing the headlines, and taking the money. Teams are hungry to win immediately and are willing to believe the hype against their better judgment.

Cam is obviously not ready to play NFL football. Does not have the maturity nor the on the field decision making skills. While possessing phenomenal physical skills and attributes, he will become unraveled under pressure.

Prefer the Niners do not draft him.

[ Edited by RogerCraig on Feb 11, 2011 at 00:50:54 ]
  • Riot
  • Veteran
He's actually quite well-spoken. Doesn't seem like a total meat-head at all.
Share 49ersWebzone