LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 300 users in the forums

Cam Newton - videos and more

Originally posted by teeohh:
You mean nfl people won't be able to go? I remember reading that some wouldn't want to go because it was stupid. I'd be surprised if he did it and no scouts showed up

I believe there is a rule about scouts, GMs, and coaches attending private workouts before the combine? I don't recall exactly what it was but it was something to that effect which is why it's a media-only event.

Whatever the case, that should work in his favor. If scouts, GMs, and coaches attended this private workout, he would run the risk that they might already make up their mind on him one way or the other and not attend his pro-day or bring him in for a private workout later in the process after he should be considerably more polished than he is now.

But, yes, it's just a move to build media hype. It'll be interesting to see if that works out in his favor.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Quote:
mortreport Chris Mortensen

Dilfer told me earlier in week he was pretty excited watching tape on Newton's NFL potential from pocket. In person, more impressed.
Originally posted by TX9R:
Originally posted by theginz2004:
Quote:
According to ESPN analyst Trent Dilfer, Auburn QB Cam Newton's media day workout Thursday was "phenomenal."
"If scouts saw this they'd have been slobbering," added Dilfer. Newton's measurables have never been in question, so it's hardly surprising that he excelled in a controlled environment. It is a positive sign, though, that the tutoring on his footwork and acclimation to working under center have paid off. It's certainly possible that a team with a top-five selection will fall in love Newton, but his character concerns will still be scrutinized over the next two months.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6491/cam-newton

Lost me at "Dilfer said". Same guy who said Alex Smith and Mark Sanchez would be stars.

Yep. Has Dilfer ever given an objective viewpoint on anybody? It seems he is always gushing over somebody.
Good, more of a chance that CB Peterson falls to us at #7 if one of Top 6 teams drafts Newton.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Quote:
According to ESPN analyst Trent Dilfer, Auburn QB Cam Newton's media day workout Thursday was "phenomenal."
"If scouts saw this they'd have been slobbering," added Dilfer. Newton's measurables have never been in question, so it's hardly surprising that he excelled in a controlled environment. It is a positive sign, though, that the tutoring on his footwork and acclimation to working under center have paid off. It's certainly possible that a team with a top-five selection will fall in love Newton, but his character concerns will still be scrutinized over the next two months.

Lost me at "Dilfer said". Same guy who said Alex Smith and Mark Sanchez would be stars.

Yep. Has Dilfer ever given an objective viewpoint on anybody? It seems he is always gushing over somebody.

And no one else is talking about the workout yet. Every article talks about what Dilfer said.
Quote:

Of course he said that about Smith he played with the guy. And Sanchez is on his way. 2 years 2 conference championships.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Quote:

Of course he said that about Smith he played with the guy. And Sanchez is on his way. 2 years 2 conference championships and one 17 year old.

Fixed.
I've been saying for over two months now that at least, Gabbert AND Newton would be top 10 picks pushing down two players. If Newton and Gabbert go top five, wow! That means one of those big bad boys will drop given that Car, Buf, Cincy, and AZ need a franchise QB, Carolina especially.

This may be the most interesting top 10 in some time.

The Cam Newton "HypeExpress" is leaving on track #3, Gailey's the Engineer. Woo Woo!

• TX9R
  • Veteran
Quote:

Of course he said that about Smith he played with the guy. And Sanchez is on his way. 2 years 2 conference championships.

from 2010 draft: Dilfer sees Bradford as extremely raw and a player who hasn't performed in a system even remotely close to the ones preferred by NFL teams. He thinks Bradford's accuracy falls off as the Oklahoma quarterback goes through his reads.

Further, drafting Bradford could be a "catastrophic mistake" for the Rams if they did not handle him properly. He thinks Jimmy Clausen is by far the best college quarterback right now.
more: Josh Freeman, a rookie, was named Tampa Bay's starting quarterback Wednesday. Dilfer thinks that decision could be a mistake.

Basically in the 2 years Dilfer has been on TV, he's pretty much been wrong about every QB he's talked about.
I watched the bit on espn and I think he comes acros well. I also like dilfer so I guess I'm on board the hype train. Although I think if Alex resigns a cb is a bigger need.

Personally I think as it stands now our needs are inorder
1. Qb
2. Cb
3. Rb
We desperately need another running back to go along w gore.

I don't care about Dilfer's analysis but I think Cam Newton will be a good starting QB in the league.

Now I don't think he is right for us though.
Quote:

from 2010 draft: Dilfer sees Bradford as extremely raw and a player who hasn't performed in a system even remotely close to the ones preferred by NFL teams. He thinks Bradford's accuracy falls off as the Oklahoma quarterback goes through his reads.

Further, drafting Bradford could be a "catastrophic mistake" for the Rams if they did not handle him properly. He thinks Jimmy Clausen is by far the best college quarterback right now.
more: Josh Freeman, a rookie, was named Tampa Bay's starting quarterback Wednesday. Dilfer thinks that decision could be a mistake.

Basically in the 2 years Dilfer has been on TV, he's pretty much been wrong about every QB he's talked about.

Pretty much everybody thought Clausen was more pro ready going into the draft b/c he played in a pro system. Watching Bradford you can see that his accuracy does fall off after his initial read. Thus why the Rams ran nothing but simple crossing and drag patterns all season. Now calling it a "catastrophic mistake" for the Rams to select him was a dumb ass statement. And last time i checked the majority thinks it's a mistake to have a rookie starting like Tampa did with Freeman. Folks here still crying about Smith not sitting for 2 or more years.

Now I don't think he's perfect by any means. But most of what you posted are things that other ppl said about Bradford. Not to mention many thought Bradford couldn't hold up to the NFL hits, and everybody questions qb's out of the spread system. Some of what Dilfer said could have been dead on or just way off base. All we see is the finished product. How do we not know that Bradford and Shurmur worked on those weaknesses and corrected some of them? It's just like we say Taylor Mays can't cover coming out of college doesn't have fluid hips. Well next year the guy is covering better and turning his hips to run with players. Does that me and you stupid, or did the guy work to fix his weaknesses? It's a mixture of both.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Quote:

Pretty much everybody thought Clausen was more pro ready going into the draft b/c he played in a pro system. Watching Bradford you can see that his accuracy does fall off after his initial read. Thus why the Rams ran nothing but simple crossing and drag patterns all season. Now calling it a "catastrophic mistake" for the Rams to select him was a dumb ass statement. And last time i checked the majority thinks it's a mistake to have a rookie starting like Tampa did with Freeman. Folks here still crying about Smith not sitting for 2 or more years.

Now I don't think he's perfect by any means. But most of what you posted are things that other ppl said about Bradford. Not to mention many thought Bradford couldn't hold up to the NFL hits, and everybody questions qb's out of the spread system. Some of what Dilfer said could have been dead on or just way off base. All we see is the finished product. How do we not know that Bradford and Shurmur worked on those weaknesses and corrected some of them? It's just like we say Taylor Mays can't cover coming out of college doesn't have fluid hips. Well next year the guy is covering better and turning his hips to run with players. Does that me and you stupid, or did the guy work to fix his weaknesses? It's a mixture of both.

Dude you know I agree with you pretty much 99% of the time. In fact I didn't like Bradford all that much for similar reasons. i was wrong. But I'm also not a paid analyst being quoted in the press.
It wouldn't surprise me at all if Newton had a "phenomenal" workout, as stated by Dilfer. It is run by his camp, and probably has been scripted for awhile. The tougher challenge will be when he has a campus workout run by an NFL coach.

"Phenomenal" is a pretty strong word, so I tend to believe that even if it wasn't a "lights out" workout, it still was really, really good. And, for teams with a top ten pick who need a franchise QB, it makes him very appealing. Excited to hear other opinions by writers.
Quote:

Dude you know I agree with you pretty much 99% of the time. In fact I didn't like Bradford all that much for similar reasons. i was wrong. But I'm also not a paid analyst being quoted in the press.

True i agree that does make a huge difference.
Share 49ersWebzone