LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 215 users in the forums

If A.J. Green

Originally posted by joeymac49s:

I def. agree with this. Look at what Sam Bradford did with the Rams and honestly they're best WR was out most of the year. (Donnie Avery) As for finding good CB's on day 2. The drop off from Peterson/Prince to Brandon Harris or Aaron Williams is a lot bigger then the drop off from Miller to the next set of pass rushers. At least that's my opinion...
prince is a little bit overrated imo...i dont want us to draft him. the problem with this year's pass-rush class is that it is top-heavy so that a lot of them could be gone by our 2nd-rounder.
Originally posted by Sims84:
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by Sims84:
if we get a good qb, we wont need green...but we need pass-rush and CB badly. we should at least consider a trade-down if green is available for us.

A trade down wouldn't be bad but if a player the caliber of Green is there, and we don't take him, we better ask for A TON in return. If the team is not willing to give it up, then oh well, we take Green.
i have also said the following in another thread: one heard same talk about crabtree...there are not many 3-4 pass-rushers out there, so if we have a shot on miller, i would take him over green every day. i would also prefer a pass-rushing DE...but not a CB.

If Harbaugh likes a QB that he knows he can take in the 3rd round, then AND ONLY THEN would I pass on Green in favor of Miller because then we can easily grab another WR that can be very good in the 2nd round.

But a talent like Green, comes around ever so often. Pass rushers come out all the time, we have just failed to get them OR coach them. Look at Pittsburgh, you think all those guys were just BEASTLY coming out? besides Woodley, no they weren't but their scheme and coaching put them in great positions to make plays.

Maybe Fangio will look at our roster and say "hey, I can easily put Brooks and Lawson and maybe a late day pick in position to cause havoc". Never know but one thing is for certain, we SHOULD NOT pass on a player like Green who can change the game each time the ball is thrown his way.

James Harrison- one of the best pass rushers in the business right now was undrafted. I agree 100% with you. You can't pass on a potential elite player like a Green/Peterson/Prince for someone who is mostly a pass rusher.

James Harrison- one of the best pass rushers in the business right now was undrafted. I agree 100% with you. You can't pass on a potential elite player like a Green/Peterson/Prince for someone who is mostly a pass rusher.
oh yeah, let's pass on a pass-rusher for peterson or even prince...guys, dont you get it that pass-rush is much more important then a good cb??? look at the steelers cb's...there werent drafted in the 1st. sam shields was even udfa iirc.

oh yeah, let's pass on a pass-rusher for peterson or even prince...guys, dont you get it that pass-rush is much more important then a good cb??? look at the steelers cb's...there werent drafted in the 1st. sam shields was even udfa iirc.

I would pass on a pass rusher for a potential elite CB, if you have the ability to take the other teams #1 wr out of the game the whole game changes. Look at Revis vs Wayne this year in the playoffs. What happened? Now tell me who's the Jets unbelievable pass rusher? Don't get me wrong we're basically arguing the same point bc they go hand in hand but my point is if you look at the Elite CB's in the league almost all of them we're 1st rd draft picks and highly reguared coming out of college. Now look at the elite pass rushers in the league, it's all over the board. Like I said, Harrison was undrafted. Clay Mathews secondary is one of the best in the business, so is the jets. On the other hand Demarcus Ware is a beast when it comes to pass rushing, how did the cowboys fair this year?? b/c their secondary stunk.
if green is there at 7 no doubt take him
If he falls to us I don't think we should take him. Our offensive woes the past few (but long) years were because of our defensive minded head coaches. I think Harbaugh will unlock the potential in Crabtree and the rest of the offense. About that Cowboys comparison, an explosive player can have a great impact on a team but it doesn't mean that he'll make the team great.
Quote:
I would pass on a pass rusher for a potential elite CB, if you have the ability to take the other teams #1 wr out of the game the whole game changes. Look at Revis vs Wayne this year in the playoffs. What happened? Now tell me who's the Jets unbelievable pass rusher?

1.you have the ability to take ONE wr out of the game but it doesnt mean that the qb cant play with other guys, look at the chargers, look at peyton with collie or even garcon. the problem with colts is that their o-line sucked that year.
Quote:
Don't get me wrong we're basically arguing the same point bc they go hand in hand but my point is if you look at the Elite CB's in the league almost all of them we're 1st rd draft picks and highly reguared coming out of college. Now look at the elite pass rushers in the league, it's all over the board. Like I said, Harrison was undrafted. Clay Mathews secondary is one of the best in the business, so is the jets. On the other hand Demarcus Ware is a beast when it comes to pass rushing, how did the cowboys fair this year?? b/c their secondary stunk.
1.ware: 1st round
2.hali: 1st round
3.wake: undrafted
4.matthews: 1st round
5.abraham: 1st round
6.babin: 1st round
7.Umenyiora: 1st round
8.Tuck: 3rd round
9.Johnson: 3rd round
10.Suggs: 1st round
11.Mathis: 5th round
12.Clemons: undrafted
13.Philips: 4th round
14.Allen: 4th round
15.Hall: undrafted
16.Harrison: undrafted
17.Freeney: 1st round
18.Cole: 5th round
19.Woodley: 2nd round
8 out of 19 are first-rounders...4 out of 19 are undrafted, not a bad number but still 50% lower. spend a look at the raiders...they have one of the best CBs in the business, so what?
If Green is there at #7 then you take him. Plain and simple. Crabs, Green and Vernon will make darn near any QB look good. Morgan slides down to #3 where he rightfully belongs anyway.
While AJ Green is a beast i don't want to end up like the Lions in the Millen days. We grabbed Crabtree two years ago when we had other major holes and this year we have too many holes on the defensive side of the ball.
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
While AJ Green is a beast i don't want to end up like the Lions in the Millen days. We grabbed Crabtree two years ago when we had other major holes and this year we have too many holes on the defensive side of the ball.
thats what i'm talking about...

Originally posted by pete98146:
If Green is there at #7 then you take him. Plain and simple. Crabs, Green and Vernon will make darn near any QB look good. Morgan slides down to #3 where he rightfully belongs anyway.

With Gore coming out of the backfield, and Walker mixed in situationally. Wow, that offense could be nasty in Harbaugh hands.
keep in mind we can hit on some good FA CB....there arent too many pass rushing FA
--if we dont draft a good pass rush we cant pick one up
--if we dont draft a quality corner we can still try for one in FA
You draft don't based on need, you draft based on value. If Green is there, you take him.

[ Edited by RedWaltz24 on Jan 30, 2011 at 13:24:36 ]
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
You draft based on need, you draft based on value. If Green is there, you take him.
WR is not our biggest need...we drafted crab over oher and paid the price...no, thx. dont wanna make same mistake again.
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
You draft based on need, you draft based on value. If Green is there, you take him.

Needs to be one or the other.From your statement sounds like your a value guy.
Share 49ersWebzone