There are 169 users in the forums

Very good article about drafting QBs in 2nd Round

I'm out of energy for the day, but I thought this was a good article I found on Rotoworld.

http://blogs.rotoworld.com/Fantasy_Football/2011/01/the_lack_of_success_of_secondr.php

The (Lack of) Success of Second-Round QBs

Jimmy Clausen falls into a dubious category as a second-round quarterback.

It's been a decade since the second round of the NFL draft produced a franchise quarterback. Drew Brees, selected in 2001, is the last signal caller to fit the description.

Second-round quarterbacks since Brees:

Jimmy Clausen (Panthers), 2010
Pat White (Dolphins), 2009
Brian Brohm (Packers), 2008
Chad Henne (Dolphins), 2008
Kevin Kolb (Eagles), 2007
John Beck (Dolphins), 2007
Drew Stanton (Lions), 2007
Kellen Clemens (Jets), 2006
Tarvaris Jackson (Vikings), 2006

And it gets better as you go on.....
Ok "very good article" maybe over selling it...LOL

Interesting?
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Quote:
I do not think the 49ers, or any team, can make draft decisions based on what might be available to them a year later. The 49ers cannot know how early they will draft in 2012, and they cannot know whether they will like any of the quarterbacks available to them at that time. Jake Locker's shifting stock comes to mind.

Until the 49ers have a legitimate long-term starter, they should draft a quarterback in the first round every time they value one as a first-round selection.

NFL teams tend to draft quarterbacks in the first round more frequently than they take them in the second or third rounds. That helps explain why so many more good ones -- and not-so-good ones -- were first-round choices.

Teams have drafted 143 quarterbacks since 2000. They drafted 28 in the first round, 12 in the second round, 14 in the third round, 12 in the fourth round and 77 in the final three rounds.

Sixteen of the 143 have earned Pro Bowl honors. This includes nine of the 28 first-round choices, but only three of the 38 quarterbacks drafted in the second, third or fourth rounds. None of the 23 fifth-round choices has earned a Pro Bowl berth. Three of 30 sixth-rounders and one of 24 seventh-rounders have earned the honors.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/32399/mailbag-how-to-approach-qbs-in-draft
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I'm out of energy for the day, but I thought this was a good article I found on Rotoworld.

http://blogs.rotoworld.com/Fantasy_Football/2011/01/the_lack_of_success_of_secondr.php

It's been a decade since the second round of the NFL draft produced a franchise quarterback. Drew Brees, selected in 2001, is the last signal caller to fit the description.

Ill bite and go, interesting.

However, there are alot of people here who think we should go after Kolb via trade, Stanton arguably is better than anyone we've had in awhile, Tarvaris could be a starter in the near future, and GB knew who their QB was. Most of these teams are deep in the process of rebuilding, or rebuilt. Jets, Lions, GB, Eagles. Yes, Clausen was a disaster.

My question would be how many franchises, like ours are years back because we went for a qb in the high first and failed and set their team back years. Even the flops on this list arent all that detrimental to their teams as a high first wasnt wasted on them.
Originally posted by frozen49er:

However, there are alot of people here who think we should go after Kolb via trade, Stanton arguably is better than anyone we've had in awhile, Tarvaris could be a starter in the near future, and GB knew who their QB was. Most of these teams are deep in the process of rebuilding, or rebuilt. Jets, Lions, GB, Eagles. Yes, Clausen was a disaster.

My question would be how many franchises, like ours are years back because we went for a qb in the high first and failed and set their team back years. Even the flops on this list arent all that detrimental to their teams as a high first wasnt wasted on them.

Yeah,but you can't be scared to take a QB first just,because of what happen with Alex.. Not every QB the same..

I'm not sure if Kolb is the answer or not. Keep in mind how good McNabb looked under Reid. Kolb had a lot of time to sit and learn the offense. I know we will run the WCO, but will it translate easily? Based on this article it might be worth trading a second for him. I also thought that it might not be a bad idea to trade back for two firsts and trade one for Kolb. Either way, I dont want to reach for a QB at 7 and it sure looks like thats what we would be doing if we take one.

I'm not sure if Kolb is the answer or not. Keep in mind how good McNabb looked under Reid. Kolb had a lot of time to sit and learn the offense. I know we will run the WCO, but will it translate easily? Based on this article it might be worth trading a second for him. I also thought that it might not be a bad idea to trade back for two firsts and trade one for Kolb. Either way, I dont want to reach for a QB at 7 and it sure looks like thats what we would be doing if we take one.

What if Scouts says Gabbert not a reach? I mean you can't tell who's really a reach or not intill the combines and pro days. It's still to early.. Ugh Feb 24 can't come sooner. 24 days of no football talk (well except the Superbowl... )
Originally posted by fakers23:

Yeah,but you can't be scared to take a QB first just,because of what happen with Alex.. Not every QB the same..

Is your soul (sole?) reason for posting to turn everything on the WZ into an Alex Smith debate?

[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Jan 29, 2011 at 22:39:30 ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

Is your soul reason for posting to turn everything on the WZ into an Alex Smith debate?

How is that leading to an Alex debate? He is making a good point. Seems you are trying to start the debate not him.
I think it would be be ill advised to avoid drafting a QB in the 2nd round just because of the lack of success of previous 2nd round QB's. To me it's the same as avoiding a certain player just because of what school he attended. I'm sure the Cowboys are happy with Dez Bryant even though the previous OK State WR Rashaun Woods was a bust. Or avoiding Tedford QB's because he never produced elite QB's in the NFL.

First round Tedford QB's

-Trent Dilfer - won a championship but not because of his play. He was a serviceable NFL QB at most.
-David Carr
-Akili Smith
-Joey Harrington
-Kyle Boller

Then you have Aaron Rodgers. His success in the NFL is well documented.

Originally posted by Jcool:

Is your soul reason for posting to turn everything on the WZ into an Alex Smith debate?

How is that leading to an Alex debate? He is making a good point. Seems you are trying to start the debate not him.

Thank you... All I was saying is you can't be scared to take a QB because of what didn't work in the past.

If it was someone else, maybe. But I have never seen this guy post in a thread without bring up Alex Smith one way or another. Maybe he is innocent and I'm just hyper sensitive, but I doubt it.

If it was someone else, maybe. But I have never seen this guy post in a thread without bring up Alex Smith one way or another. Maybe he is innocent and I'm just hyper sensitive, but I doubt it.

I brought up Alex because we drafted him in 05 and the guy above me said he's afraid to take another QB because of 05... All I said was you can't let what happen in 05 deter you from take a QB that you think is a franchise QB.. Your looking into some thing not there...

[ Edited by fakers23 on Jan 29, 2011 at 22:45:47 ]
Im new to posting here, and after reading on this site for 5 years, I am not taking any side on the whole Alex situation. I know, Im not any fun.

McNabb did look good under reid, and I dont think that Washington is a good place for anyone to go, could he be a stopgap, maybe. But Kolb for a 2? I dont know. Yes, we need a qb badly, I think we simply have too many needs to toss everything for a potential qb, no matter how good you think H is with them. Thats also assuming philly would deal him for a 2, which I dont see happening with Vicks injury potential.

Id like to see a qb later, 3rd or 4th. Let him sit a few years, McNabb, Orton, Johnson from TB. Whoever. Allow the rest of our team to come together with a couple of competitive seasons under one of these guys, then let the draft pick play, ala Aaron Rodgers. We dont have a Favre for him to learn from, but with H, it could work. A few okay years, for a dozen great years. I'm tired of losing too, but it would be worth it in the long run.

So a 2nd round qb? Why, we dont need to. CB and OLB, either order for the first two rounds. There are alot of other bad teams that can take qbs in the 2nd round and let them start in week 5 and ruin their carears, we dont need to be in the mix with them.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

This.

[ Edited by Jcool on Jan 29, 2011 at 22:45:25 ]
Share 49ersWebzone