LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 251 users in the forums

Trade w/ BUF

Right now this is how I we the first 14 picks going down
1) Nick Fairley- Have 0 NFL caliber DTs
2) Da'Quan Bowers- John Fox run a 4-3
3) Dareus Marcels- Bills switch between 3-4 & 4-3, have weakest front 7 in NFL
4) AJ Green- Ocho gone, need a franchise WR/BPA
5) Patrick Peterson- DRC had a down year and they need someone opposite him (also need rush linebackers)
6) Aldon Smith- Switch to 4-3, smith is sn elite passrusher
7) Robert Quinn- Need Pass rush OLB (also need CB- /Jimmy Smith round 2?)
8) Blaine Gabbert- No VC, develop QB for future
9) Prince Amukamara- terrible D from corners, need the shape up secondary
10) Jake Locker- No McNabb, develop QB for future
11) Von Miller- terrible D, switching to 3-4
12) Cam Newton- develop QB for future
13) Akeem Ayers- BPA, Julian Peterson gone/ Need OLB
14) Julio Jones- Bradford needs playmakers
Some poeple may think we should go for Amukamara, but I think that pass rush forces bad throws and gets in QBs head (rushes him). And I REALLY like what I saw from Quinn (also Von Miller looks very solid, but a little light).

I think that instead we should try and move up to 3 (BUF) and get pattrick peterson, who along with AJ Green are the two best prospects in the draft (far and away better than the rest). The trade looks like this:
SF --> 7, 45, 107--> BUF (our 1st, 2nd and higher 4th)
BUF--> 3, 68, 121--> SF (their 1st and 3rd and lower 4th)
Although this trade is costly, we get one of the best players in the draft at a position of need. The Draft now looks like this

1) Nick Fairley- Have 0 NFL caliber DTs
2) Da'Quan Bowers- John Fox run a 4-3
3) *Patrick Peterson- Best player in Draft
4) AJ Green- Ocho gone, need a franchise WR/BPA
5) Robert Quinn- Need Pass rush OLB (bottom third in sacks)
6) Dareus Marcels- switching to 4-3, get a penitrator in the middle
7) Cam Newton- Strong Armed (winds) QB that is mobile for the future
8) Aldon Smith- Get a DE and decide to not resign and overpay for Jason Babin after his one good.
9) Prince Amukamara- terrible D from corners, need the shape up secondary
10) Blaine Gabbert- No McNabb, develop QB for future
11) Von Miller- terrible D, switching to 3-4
12) Jake Locker- develop QB for future
13) Akeem Ayers- BPA, Julian Peterson gone/ Need OLB
14) Julio Jones- Bradford needs playmakers
Buffalo can now pick a QB (3 was too high) while picking up picks later in order to help out on D (at 34 pick Jimmy Smith and at 45 pick Phil Taylor), while SF get a lockdown corner with playmaking ability and can still get quality players in round 3 (Duenta Williams at 68 and Ricky Stanzi at 76). And draft a Kicker in the 6th (wes or Kai

Then just sign either LaMarr Woodley (pipe dream) or Kamerion Wimbley to add to the pass rush, an OG (davin joseph/ carl nicks) a Vet QB and we have a team that is very competative bothnow and in the future

Orton/Stanzi
Gore/Dixon
Marecic
Crabtree/Ginn
Morgan/Wilson
Davis/Walker
Staley
Iupati
Heitmann
Nicks
Davis

Smith
Franklin
Sopoaga
Wimbley/LaBoy
Spike/McKillop
Willis/Bowman
Lawson/McDonald
Peterson/Brown
Spencer/Adams
Mays/Spillman
Williams/Smith

This team is good on D (creates turnovers and wrecks havock) and with Harbaugh we maximize our Offensive capabilities (we will still need to improve that side of the ball, but with an O-line that will *hopefully* do much better and and a vet like orton managing the games we should be able to compete heavily for the NFC West title). Remember Defence wins championships (wasn't until we draft the great DB class lead by Ronnie Lott that the 9ers won their 1st Super Bowl)[/left]
i agree with doing what is necessary to land peterson but at the same time i dont really think we are in a position to trade up and lose picks. also not when amakumara would be available at 7 anyways....its a pretty damn good secondary prize
Originally posted by TalkinBoutWILLIS:
i agree with doing what is necessary to land peterson but at the same time i dont really think we are in a position to trade up and lose picks. also not when amakumara would be available at 7 anyways....its a pretty damn good secondary prize

No need to trade up in this draft. we'd be giving up a lot. prince wouldn't be bad, but hell niether would Von Miller. We need to wait to see what the Free agency brings. i mean hell what if we land Namdi and another decent CB like Eric Wright. I know wright his hit or miss but he has more potential than any of our Cb's.
ill pass. Prince should be there for us and hes pretty damn good too. or one of the stud DEs or OLBs. no need to burn picks on trading up.
Originally posted by wailers15:

No need to trade up in this draft. we'd be giving up a lot. prince wouldn't be bad, but hell niether would Von Miller. We need to wait to see what the Free agency brings. i mean hell what if we land Namdi and another decent CB like Eric Wright. I know wright his hit or miss but he has more potential than any of our Cb's.

this

no reason to miss out on filling other holes just to get the better CB. We will get a quality starter in the 1st round this year and that's what matters.
Definatly not worth losing later round picks, this draft is quite deep.
Stop with the trading up crap guys.

Nobody in this draft is worth trading up for. If Peterson drops great, if not then plenty of other players who can help this team.
Surprisingly I like this idea, doubt well do it but its something to think about.
Originally posted by matt49er:

this

no reason to miss out on filling other holes just to get the better CB. We will get a quality starter in the 1st round this year and that's what matters.

Also agree and wonder why many would be willing to give up draft picks for Peterson when many scouts think Amukamara is a better prospect.

[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jan 27, 2011 at 18:11:47 ]
I'm not happy with this scenario. Not happy at all.

I don't think there is a need to trade up. We can get an impact defender at 7th overall. Not to mention people aren't sure if Peterson's a corner or safety in the NFL. If we get an impact pass rusher at 7th or Amukamara then that's a good consolation prize.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
If anything we would trade down, not up. IMO the only way we draft Amukamara is if we cut Clements or move him to Safety. We are looking for a DE/OLB like Von Miller or Robert Quinn more then a CB. We can still get a quality DB in free agency or in round 2 or 3 of the draft.

[ Edited by sfout on Jan 27, 2011 at 19:38:34 ]
...I dont really think we are in a position to trade up and lose picks.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
...no need to burn picks on trading up.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Also agree and wonder why many would be willing to give up draft picks

This trade would be 3 picks for 3 picks. Moving 23 spots down from our original spot in the 2nd round and 14 from our pick in the forth. Where do the talks of losing or giving up picks come from?

No need to trade up in this draft. we'd be giving up a lot....

And really, is it THAT much to lose
If Peterson shows himself worthy, not a bad trade at all.(I'd pull the trigger). I would be satisfied with either, or even that pass rusher we all want.

[ Edited by Ibleedgoldnred on Jan 27, 2011 at 20:39:02 ]
Bad move. Pass rusher > shutdown corners.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Bad move. Pass rusher > shutdown corners.

pass rushers can be found in 2nd rounds shutdown corners cant
Share 49ersWebzone