LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 241 users in the forums

Mayock on QB class

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Mike Mayock shares his initial thoughts on the top QBs in the 2011 draft class.

- Without franchise QB wont make it to Superbowl.

- Cam Newton to early to tell where he will go, better technique then Tebow or Young. One look guy if its there he takes it if not hes out.

- Blaine Gabbert big kid, athletic can make every throw, a little bit flat footed (catch, rock and throw guy) needs to see some footwork through the proses.

- Ryan Mallet big arm can make every throw, questionable decision maker in the pocket.

- Jake Locker most had as a top pick last year, now most think is after thought, he is not, a top 15 talent. Question is accuracy, never been over 58% completion. Outside the pocket he is wonderful: very accurate, big arm, gifted kid. Inside the pocket: accuracy goes down when his vision goes down. Needs to convince teams he can slide/move in the pocket and increase accuracy.

- Andy Dalton really impressed at Manning QB camp last summer. Bigger arm then originally thought. Very football smart, high football IQ, a leader. In Rose Bowl made every throw. Should move up draft boards.

- You need ones of these guys hard part is figuring out intangibles: what kind of kid he is, how hard of a worker he is and his football IQ.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-senior-bowl/09000d5d81dcff1d/Mayock-on-QB-class
[ Edited by Jcool on Jan 21, 2011 at 10:55 PM ]
Originally posted by Jcool:
Mike Mayock shares his initial thoughts on the top QBs in the 2011 draft class.

- Without franchise QB wont make it to Superbowl.

- Cam Newton to early to tell where he will go, better technique then Tebow or Young. One look guy if its there he takes it if not hes out.

- Blaine Gabbert big kid, athletic can make every throw, a little bit flat footed (catch, rock and throw guy) needs to see some footwork through the proses.

- Ryan Mallet big arm can make every throw, questionable decision maker in the pocket.

- Jake Locker most had as a top pick last year, now most think is after thought, he is not, a top 15 talent. Question is accuracy, never been over 58% completion. Outside the pocket he is wonderful: very accurate, big arm, gifted kid. Inside the pocket: accuracy goes down when his vision goes down. Needs to convince teams he can slide/move in the pocket and increase accuracy.

- Andy Dalton really impressed at Manning QB camp last summer. Bigger arm then originally thought. Very football smart, high football IQ, a leader. In Rose Bowl made every throw. Should move up draft boards.- You need ones of these guys hard part is figuring out intangibles: what kind of kid he is, how hard of a worker he is and his football IQ.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-senior-bowl/09000d5d81dcff1d/Mayock-on-QB-class

From that list I pick Dalton everyday. Although I have to admit I have only seen one game that Gabbert has played in. Still I think Dalton fits the WCO best and he is a smart kid with alot of intangibles. Plus he is a Winner!
wat round is dalton predicted in?
Despite the fact that there is a generally perceived lack of top flight QB talent in this draft, I'm still very excited about this year's prospects. I'm not a fan of Newton or Gabbert. Newton is an incredible athlete but I don't think he has the IQ or work ethic to be an NFL star. Gabbert is more of a mystery. He is definitely raw and I don't see spending the #7 pick on him or any of the QBs. Here are the ones I like, in no particular order.

Ricky Stanzi- I think his arm strength is underrated and I like his ppoise in the pocket. He's a big kid with decent athleticism. In the games I have seen he moves through his progressions, stands and delivers in the face of the pass rush, and seems to perform at a higher level when the game is on the line. Depending on when the QBs ahead of him go he could be a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

Jake Locker- His lackluster statistics have teams cooling on him and so he might drop to the second round. His physical tools are extraordinary and given top flight talent he might be able to reach his potential. It will all depend on whether Harbaugh believes he can coach him up.

Andy Dalton- He's the webzone darling at the moment. He's got a good arm, a great football IQ, and all he does is win.

Pat Devlin- He plays in a spread offense so he will need some time to adjust but he has the accuracy and arm strength to be a good QB at this level. Again, it depends on what Harbaugh thinks.

Scott Tolzien- He has the accuracy and experience in a pro-style system. He is more of a "game-manager" but he is high character and a leader. If we took him in the late rounds and let him develop you never know.
Originally posted by 228niner:

2nd-3rd, though he is moving up. If there is a run on QBs he might even sneak into the first round. Newton and Gabbert are generally seen as the likely first 2 to go. After them, it's anyone's bet.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Karma:
Despite the fact that there is a generally perceived lack of top flight QB talent in this draft, I'm still very excited about this year's prospects. I'm not a fan of Newton or Gabbert. Newton is an incredible athlete but I don't think he has the IQ or work ethic to be an NFL star. Gabbert is more of a mystery. He is definitely raw and I don't see spending the #7 pick on him or any of the QBs. Here are the ones I like, in no particular order.

Ricky Stanzi- I think his arm strength is underrated and I like his ppoise in the pocket. He's a big kid with decent athleticism. In the games I have seen he moves through his progressions, stands and delivers in the face of the pass rush, and seems to perform at a higher level when the game is on the line. Depending on when the QBs ahead of him go he could be a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

Jake Locker- His lackluster statistics have teams cooling on him and so he might drop to the second round. His physical tools are extraordinary and given top flight talent he might be able to reach his potential. It will all depend on whether Harbaugh believes he can coach him up.

Andy Dalton- He's the webzone darling at the moment. He's got a good arm, a great football IQ, and all he does is win.

Pat Devlin- He plays in a spread offense so he will need some time to adjust but he has the accuracy and arm strength to be a good QB at this level. Again, it depends on what Harbaugh thinks.

Scott Tolzien- He has the accuracy and experience in a pro-style system. He is more of a "game-manager" but he is high character and a leader. If we took him in the late rounds and let him develop you never know.

Quote:
It goes without saying that this wasn’t the kind of practice Delaware quarterback Pat Devlin had in mind for his first showing of the week. He was spraying the football all over the place, didn’t seem nearly as comfortable in the pocket as he did during his time at Delaware and his overall accuracy suffered because of it. And the main culprit? Well, he was taking snaps from under center. Devlin took nearly all his snaps from the gun over the past two seasons and was rarely asked to read a defense and decipher information in his drop, quickly get away from under center before balancing his footing and striding into a throw. Today he looked fidgety and uncomfortable trying to maintain balance in his lower half while still attempting to get the ball out on time. Most media sources will likely end up killing the guy for his struggles in day one, but in my view it’s just part of the learning curve for a quarterback who is making the move from a college spread to more of a traditional NFL offense.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/EastWest-Shrine-practice-review-Day-2.html
Originally posted by Jcool:

Quote:
It goes without saying that this wasn’t the kind of practice Delaware quarterback Pat Devlin had in mind for his first showing of the week. He was spraying the football all over the place, didn’t seem nearly as comfortable in the pocket as he did during his time at Delaware and his overall accuracy suffered because of it. And the main culprit? Well, he was taking snaps from under center. Devlin took nearly all his snaps from the gun over the past two seasons and was rarely asked to read a defense and decipher information in his drop, quickly get away from under center before balancing his footing and striding into a throw. Today he looked fidgety and uncomfortable trying to maintain balance in his lower half while still attempting to get the ball out on time. Most media sources will likely end up killing the guy for his struggles in day one, but in my view it’s just part of the learning curve for a quarterback who is making the move from a college spread to more of a traditional NFL offense.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/EastWest-Shrine-practice-review-Day-2.html

Yeah, that's just scary. I was high on ALex Smith coming out in 2005. I got swept up in his accuracy numbers and LOW interception rate. I still believe that Alex never got comfortable under center. I can't remember him checking off one receiver and going to another besides RB check downs. The word "spread" scares the crap out of me now.

2nd-3rd, though he is moving up. If there is a run on QBs he might even sneak into the first round. Newton and Gabbert are generally seen as the likely first 2 to go. After them, it's anyone's bet.

I would be absolutely shocked if Dalton went in the first.
I like Mayock. Once again he seems to have nailed it. The Dalton explanation makes me wonder if he'll be there at 45. Hope so.
Originally posted by ishkabibel:
I like Mayock. Once again he seems to have nailed it. The Dalton explanation makes me wonder if he'll be there at 45. Hope so.

With teams needed QBs. I think he will be taken in the second round..

Originally posted by jreff22:

Yeah, it isn't likely, but stranger things have happened toward the end of the first round. I will say that if the niners want him they probably won't be able to wait until the third.

Yeah, it isn't likely, but stranger things have happened toward the end of the first round. I will say that if the niners want him they probably won't be able to wait until the third.

The CBA will play a big part I think. Teams worried about it. Will draft players higher then they should go..
Originally posted by fakers23:

The CBA will play a big part I think. Teams worried about it. Will draft players higher then they should go..

They also might draft guys with perceived better "coachability" since training camp might be shortened. Guys that normally are drafted high because of potential might slide a bit. Of course, this is all conjecture.
Based on his build, athleticism, football IQ I bet Jim has Dalton graded as the closest thing to Andrew Luck in this draft. I'm thinking he will be out pick, and Jim will go with Alex and/or another vet (Orton/Edwards) and let them fight it out through OTA's and Camp.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81dd8ff0/article/underclassmen-prevalent-among-top-five-per-position

mayock's top 5 per position
Share 49ersWebzone