LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 321 users in the forums

Should we prepare for luck now?

Originally posted by TalkinBoutWILLIS:
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by TalkinBoutWILLIS:
if sadly we owned the first pick overall next year with all this fan talk id rather be the team that takes 3 first round draft picks instead of drafting luck. that would be the most ridiculous trade. idc if luck turns into joe montana id still rather have 3 first rounders instead of him

So you would rather have three 1st than the re-incarnate of Montana (your words, not mine, and obviously hypothetical)?

Really?

I mean really?

2012 49ers with Montana re-incarnate (again the above disclaimer) and Harbaugh at coach and you will trade that for three 1st's?

Look all I know is this. Harbaugh has said some pretty remarkable things about Luck. Harbaugh has a good track record with QB's. Harbaugh and Baalke both agree that QB is the most important position on the team. Anything is possible, including Luck busting, but I personally wouldn't have a problem with a ridiculous trade for Luck.

We need a stud QB in a QB driven league. If those 2 feels strongly that Luck is exactly that then I have no problems with showing the guts to do what you feel is necessary.

what usually works out better...a stud qb with nothing around him or a decent quarterback with a bunch of talent around him

You said, and I
Quote:
idc if luck turns into joe montana id still rather have 3 first rounders instead of him

Thats the only part I had a problem with. I stand by my stance that if Baalke agrees with what Harbaugh has already said and spends big to get him then so be it.

I am not advocating, I believe the likely hood is extremely small, but I wouldn't hate it.

Personally I want to see if Harbaugh can take a lesser touted guy and coach him into a stud. If that happens then 49ers fans should be REAL excited cause Harbaugh is a QB coaching machine and that would bode VERY well in a QB driven league.
I stock with what I said get lucks backup in this draft and next draft do the necessary actions and Give up what's needed for luck
  • dj43
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
that's Harbaugh's master plan. Tank the 2011 season to grab Luck with the #1 pick!

Lacking a QB AND a pass rusher AND a decent CB AND a #1 WR, unless Baalke gets very lucky in the draft, it may not take much of a "tank job" to be quite high in the draft.

Personally, I think we are all drinking too much Harbaugh Kool Aid. The guy comes with some impressive college credentials but this team is not as talented as some people think. In addition to the above listed areas, RG and Center are also in dire need of upgrade along with the full return to health and form of Joe Staley. And that says nothing about whether or not Anthony Davis can learn to play in this league.

I wouldn't call it "tank," but it will take a near miracle to win more than 6 games next season.
[ Edited by dj43 on Feb 3, 2011 at 11:14 AM ]
I really hope Luck really Locker's out () this next year so he can fall to us in next year's draft.
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
I really hope Luck really Locker's out () this next year so he can fall to us in next year's draft.

Luck is not going to do a Locker. The difference: Luck has proved that he can produce with that amazing Junior season, Locker by comparison has never had a good season - he's just had good potential.

BTW: There is no chance we get Luck in next year's draft - unless we end up picking #1 which isn't going to happen.
Originally posted by DraftaQB:
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:

Luck is not going to do a Locker. The difference: Luck has proved that he can produce with that amazing Junior season, Locker by comparison has never had a good season - he's just had good potential.

BTW: There is no chance we get Luck in next year's draft - unless we end up picking #1 which isn't going to happen.

Originally posted by dj43:
that's Harbaugh's master plan. Tank the 2011 season to grab Luck with the #1 pick!

Lacking a QB AND a pass rusher AND a decent CB AND a #1 WR, unless Baalke gets very lucky in the draft, it may not take much of a "tank job" to be quite high in the draft.

Personally, I think we are all drinking too much Harbaugh Kool Aid. The guy comes with some impressive college credentials but this team is not as talented as some people think. In addition to the above listed areas, RG and Center are also in dire need of upgrade along with the full return to health and form of Joe Staley. And that says nothing about whether or not Anthony Davis can learn to play in this league.

I would call it "tank," but it will take a near miracle to win more than 6 games next season.

Not only that but we have a very tough schedule next season.
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Originally posted by Draftology:
Considering that quarterback is by far the biggest need for this team, should we use this draft to put us in a position to take Andrew Luck next year? He is one of the best quarterback prospects in the last 10 years, and fits Harbaugh's system perfectly. This is what I think we should do in this draft to make sure we can get him next year:

-trade back from 7 to the mid-twenties for a 1st next year and a third this year
-trade our 2nd and 4th this year for a first next year

(granted there has to be teams willing to make these trades)

This would give us 3 first round picks for next year, giving us enough ammunition to trade up to the first overall pick. We would also still have a first and 2 thirds this year, but no second or fourth.

I understand that no player is a lock, and that Luck might end up like Jake Locker and have a bad senior season, but there doesn't seem like a single quarterback in this draft worthy of our first pick outside of Gabbert who has accuracy issues which is not a good attribute for a west-coast quarterback. Worst comes to worst we have 3 first round picks next year, and can greatly improve our roster.

[ Edited by fropwns on Feb 3, 2011 at 08:14:01 ]
  • dj43
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by dj43:

I would call it "tank," but it will take a near miracle to win more than 6 games next season.

Not only that but we have a very tough schedule next season.
Yep, that is a big part of why I said 6 wins may be the best we can hope for.
Share 49ersWebzone