LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 277 users in the forums

My new mock

Don't hate your mock, don't love it but about Volek... about 5 years ago I would agree with everything you said. Now he will be 35 shortly and looks like he lost it.

Look at those pre season numbers from this year:
http://www.nfl.com/players/billyvolek/gamelogs?id=VOL083057

Like I said 6 years ago I would have thought about him as starting QB before we got Smith but now I think it's too late. Also, not sure I like Ponder but Dareus would be a solid pickup. Some of those other late round guys I could see happening like Whalen and Elmore might be one of those under the radar guys. He has great stats, not sure he is quick enough to play olb in the 3-4 but I haven't seen him. If he does run well with 22 sacks in the last two years he could shoot up to 2nd round.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jan 21, 2011 at 3:32 AM ]
Originally posted by mayo49:
I like your Ponder pick.

The Ponder "pickup" is starting to roll!!

I haven't jumped on board yet.
[ Edited by DaveWilcox on Jan 21, 2011 at 7:45 AM ]
Billy Volek Ponder
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Don't hate your mock, don't love it but about Volek... about 5 years ago I would agree with everything you said. Now he will be 35 shortly and looks like he lost it.

Look at those pre season numbers from this year:
http://www.nfl.com/players/billyvolek/gamelogs?id=VOL083057

Like I said 6 years ago I would have thought about him as starting QB before we got Smith but now I think it's too late. Also, not sure I like Ponder but Dareus would be a solid pickup. Some of those other late round guys I could see happening like Whalen and Elmore might be one of those under the radar guys. He has great stats, not sure he is quick enough to play olb in the 3-4 but I haven't seen him. If he does run well with 22 sacks in the last two years he could shoot up to 2nd round.

Damn. Yeah I didnt know Volek might be looking terrible. He hasn't been hit a ton so he should still have a lot left in him. I dunno. If not then sub him for Pennington I guess.
Originally posted by mavfd9er:
Overall not bad IMO. I can see DE at #7 and I do agree it's a need. Ponder worries me a little because of his injuries but is still an intriguing prospect. If that all checks out I would trust Harbaugh to make the call. What do you think about Devlin? Didn't do much to improve the CB spot. But not everything can happen in 1 off season.

Josh Wilson actually played better than Nate this year, and we could always move Champ around. The CBs would probably look better if our safeties weren't terrible. If you remember the saints game for example, Colston caught the GW pass to set up the FG but he actually was covered by Goldson on the play. So Champ would help us out a lot in coverage IMO.
Originally posted by j3xperience:
For a year where FA might not happen, you have ALOT of FA.

Volek has been terrible when he has been asked to play. He is rather old now, and I would rather throw a rookie out there instead of him. I think of him that poorly.

Kitna would be a better choice.

I'm pretty sure there will be FA unless the lockout lasts into the season. I mean those guys are going to want to get paid. So as long as there is a resolution by the summer or whatever, there will most likely be FA. And it's the only way to patch up the majority of the holes on the team. It's not like I went out and signed Nnamdi and Mankins. A lot of these guys(besides Champ) are not going to get paid a ton. Dahl is going to be the 3rd or 4th guard signed at best, with Mankins and Gallery and Nicks on the market. McClain is not going to be paid a ton as a FB. Josh Wilson is going to be overshadowed by Nnamdi, Cromartie, Joseph, etc.
After the senior bowl what do you guys think of my draft? Forget the FA for a second.
Share 49ersWebzone