Takeo Spikes
Aubrayo Franklin
Travis LaBoy
Ray McDonald
David Baas
Tony Wragge

cut:
Nate Clements
Eric Heitmann-MM reported its unlikely he makes it this year because he's injury prone now and getting older, plus he's due a large roster bonus sometime this offseason. He's a good player and I'd like to keep him but not looking too realistic.

not resigned/they walk away:
Alex Smith
Troy Smith-Baalke is not a fan, said QB of the future is not on the roster.
Moran Norris
Manny Lawson-He wont want to come back, he was already unhappy with management and I doubt he wants to come back here for not as much money and play under a 4th coach in 4 years. Likely will go to a team where he can play OLB in a 4-3 D and get paid more.
Dashon Goldson
Brian Westbrook-I'd love to re-sign him but I don't know if he'll want to come back. He might want to go play for a winner toward the end of his career, and in a less crowded backfield. It depends on what he wants to do and obviously I'm no psychic.
Anyone else not listed as re-signed

Sign in FA:
QB Billy Volek: He's the #1 QB and he has actually been pretty good during the only year he got to play. He's one of the best back ups in the NFL and he has not been real injury prone so for a year or 2 while a rookie gets ready he should be good. Eric Davis brought him up as an option and I think it actually makes a lot of sense. If not him then Chad Pennington. He gives us a chance to actually win games.

FB LeRon McClain: He's a big thumper who can actually run with the ball and catch it. Harbaugh could really put him to good use, and he's probably not going to be back in Baltimore. He would add a lot of flexibility to our offense. Plus he's still young. It'll be like back when the 9ers had guys like Rathman, Floyd, and Beasley at FB.

FS Champ Bailey: Good chance he leaves the Broncos and supposedly he's said he's ready to transition to FS. He can make plays for us back there and we'll finally have a safety who can cover someone. Gone are the days of Mark Roman and Michael Lewis.

RG Harvey Dahl: He is tough and cheaper than guys like Nicks or Mankins, plus both of them play LG already.The 9ers would have a line that's set with Staley/Iupati/Baas/Dahl/Davis, plus some decent back ups.

OLB Antwan Barnes: He had some sacks this year for the #1 ranked defense(the Chargers) and played 3-4 OLB. He's not great, but he's decent for the position and he could break out.

CB Josh Wilson: He did ok for the Ravens, again he's not great but he's decent and he can play well. He had a quietly good year for the Ravens. I like his game.

Draft:

Round 1: Marcell Dareus DE
People will say we don't have a need on the DLine but I think if he's there than he's too good to pass up. He is good against the run and he can get to the QB even in a 3-4, just like he did in college. He's an immediate impact player IMO and he's too talented to let him go. The 9ers would possibly have the best DL in the league. Nobody would be able to run on the this DLine and it'd open things up for the LBs and DBs alot. The LBs will have a much easier time getting to the QB since our DEs should both require double teams, and both of our DEs can get to the QB even when double teamed.

Round 2: Christian Ponder QB
People will say he did not have a great season and he didn't, but he still had some real prolific games like the game against UNC. He fought through injury all year long but still played pretty well. He drops back from under center sometimes and he can run with the ball too. I really think he's going to be good because he doesn't have too many flaws, he doesn't have the athleticism of Newton or Locker but he's more accurate than Locker and made tougher throws and more throws per game than Newton. He's got better footwork than Newton and he's better at reading defenses. He's more accurate than Gabbert IMO, especially when healthy, and he's a lot more mobile than Mallett. Rob Rang is a decent fan of his, and listed him to Barrows as the #1 QB the 9ers might draft in the later rounds. Last year people thought he'd be a 1st potentially this year. Good value IMO.

Round 3: Greg Romeus OLB
He missed pretty much the whole year because of injury but he supposedly is ahead of schedule in his knee rehab and he was slated to be a 1st round pick this year. Depending on how he runs and stuff at the combine, this is a great value for the pick. I don't know for sure if he'll be able to run anyway but it's still great value.

Round 4: Chimdi Chekwa CB
He's 5'11'' 190 so he's got decent size for the position, and during the bowl game vs Arkansas you could tell their defense got worse when he left the game with an injury. He can cover pretty well and got 3 picks this year.

Round 4: Ricky Elmore OLB
He has been really productive and he's tall and strong. Not sure if he can make the transition to OLB, but it's worth it to take a shot on a pass rusher like him at this point in the draft. Over 20 sacks during the last 2 years.

Round 5: Charlie Gantt TE
He's big at 6'5'' and supposedly has looked pretty good in the East West shringe game practices this week. He's a good blocker who can catch some passes as well, would be a great addition for our run game and could compete with Byham.

Round 6: Ryan Whalen WR
He supposedly looks good in the shrine game practices and he already knows Harbaugh's offense. His performance this year was effected by a concusiion I believe earlier in the year vs Oregon. He has good hands and he's a good route runner, plus supposedly he is able to high point the ball well at the shrine game. He is a smart player.

Round 6: Da'Rel Scott RB
He had a monster bowl game and he's a decent runner. Supposedly he is looking good in the Shrine game practices. More importantly he has the athleticism to catch the ball out of the backfield and run well outside. THis adds another element to our offense if he turns out well.

Round 7: Mike Mohamed ILB
He makes a lot of tackles and he has made some plays as well, getting a few INTs and sacks along the way. I think he'll definitely be a good serviceable player, who could potentially play the ted spot. I'm really not sure why most draft sites and scouts don't have him ranked higher. But he has a good shot to atleast be a decent back up, and if he turns out better he could give the team some flexibility as far as where Bowman can play.

Round 7: Josh Thomas CB
He's from Buffalo so to be honest I haven't really seen him play, but his numbers are actually really good and he supposedly is doing well at the shrine game practices. He has some sacks, forced fumbles, quite a few passes defensed, and a few INTs. It can't hurt to take a shot at the guy this late in the draft. He seems like a tough CB who can make some plays.

Thoughts?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I like your Ponder pick.
Sorry Ponder is way to early. Too many mental mistakes on the football field.
Wasn't Harvey Dahl a 49er at one point?

Would keep Clements at reduced salary. I thought he looked very good working against slot receivers.
with dareus being picked is it safe to assume peterson and prince are gone or are you selecting him over prince?
Originally posted by ishkabibel:
Wasn't Harvey Dahl a 49er at one point?

Would keep Clements at reduced salary. I thought he looked very good working against slot receivers.

Yeah he was on the PS in 07 I believe.

Not a fan of Nate anymore, he gets burned a lot and there is a good chance he doesn't want to come back and make less money anyway.
Originally posted by TalkinBoutWILLIS:
with dareus being picked is it safe to assume peterson and prince are gone or are you selecting him over prince?

It could be taken as either way. Of course if I take him over Prince people will probably hate it but oh well. But yeah it's safe to say Peterson is gone. I think he goes #2 to Denver.
So if you are cutting Nate, and signing Champ as a FS, then who is playing CB? Josh Wilson would be a decent nickel,but i wouldn't want him as a starter unless he's bringing Ed Reed with him. Much rather get Jonathan Joseph or Carlos Rodgers.
Originally posted by lamontb:
So if you are cutting Nate, and signing Champ as a FS, then who is playing CB? Josh Wilson would be a decent nickel,but i wouldn't want him as a starter unless he's bringing Ed Reed with him. Much rather get Jonathan Joseph or Carlos Rodgers.

i actually thought about signing carlos rodgers. Joseph would be preferred but my guess is cinci franchises him.
Originally posted by vrabbit:

Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Round 2: Christian Ponder QB

Not bad, but not great either!
For a year where FA might not happen, you have ALOT of FA.

Volek has been terrible when he has been asked to play. He is rather old now, and I would rather throw a rookie out there instead of him. I think of him that poorly.

Kitna would be a better choice.
Overall not bad IMO. I can see DE at #7 and I do agree it's a need. Ponder worries me a little because of his injuries but is still an intriguing prospect. If that all checks out I would trust Harbaugh to make the call. What do you think about Devlin? Didn't do much to improve the CB spot. But not everything can happen in 1 off season.