LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

Jake Locker Bandwagon

how tall is he? I was hyped up about him before this past season. Whoever Harbaugh chooses, I'm sure will be a better gamble than what we think. Accuracy is the most important quality in a QB.
Even if Harbaugh can make him better or coach him up, the question I have is can he coach him or does Locker have the ability to be a Brady, Brees, Rothlesberger, or even Rodgers like QB? I say no. If we take a shot at him at 3rd or later-I'm okay with it, but not with the first two picks. Hell, I'd trade the extra later round picks (4 and 6 and our own 7th) to move up in the 3rd to take him and Stanzi and let them compete. Kind of like a shotgun effect. If they can't handle the competition then how they going to handle the playoffs or even SB.

What I have seen though, I don't think he has it. good QB's despite bad teams at least make their teammates look better. While Brady and Manning are in a leaque of their own, no matter the WR changes they still make the other players look good. Now unless someone and sat thru film of ever pass play and can give me a percentage of how many percent where the WR dropped catchable balls then that is something else or how many times no WR got open or that he had to throw away. I know you may say his line was bad, true-but during those times the ball is not thrown usually cause he is either sacked or took off running.

In the few games I saw he just did not impress me. I'm not a QB guru, but I did not like Alex at #1 and I don't like Locker at #7 or in the 1st for that matter. I also don't want a QB who doesn't play under center at least half the time.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Even if Harbaugh can make him better or coach him up, the question I have is can he coach him or does Locker have the ability to be a Brady, Brees, Rothlesberger, or even Rodgers like QB? I say no. If we take a shot at him at 3rd or later-I'm okay with it, but not with the first two picks. Hell, I'd trade the extra later round picks (4 and 6 and our own 7th) to move up in the 3rd to take him and Stanzi and let them compete. Kind of like a shotgun effect. If they can't handle the competition then how they going to handle the playoffs or even SB.

What I have seen though, I don't think he has it. good QB's despite bad teams at least make their teammates look better. While Brady and Manning are in a leaque of their own, no matter the WR changes they still make the other players look good. Now unless someone and sat thru film of ever pass play and can give me a percentage of how many percent where the WR dropped catchable balls then that is something else or how many times no WR got open or that he had to throw away. I know you may say his line was bad, true-but during those times the ball is not thrown usually cause he is either sacked or took off running.

In the few games I saw he just did not impress me. I'm not a QB guru, but I did not like Alex at #1 and I don't like Locker at #7 or in the 1st for that matter. I also don't want a QB who doesn't play under center at least half the time.

I hear that a lot, but the truth is, even pro QBs play a lot out of the shotgun nowadays. The more you watch the NFL game, the more you see teams running a traditional pro-style set ONLY on running downs or to set up play-action (not always, but quite often). The rest of the time, they're running a spread-style, shotgun-based offense. It's obviously not based on zone-read concepts like in college, but it's a spread with 3 or 4 WRs (or TEs) and the QB NOT under center.

Depending on the score, NFL QBs might be under center less than 50% of the time now, so that appears to be less and less of a concern these days.
If we could trade out of the #7 into the middle of the 1st round and pick up an additional 2nd rounder I'd be all for it. I have a mock with this scenario in mind with us trading picks with New England.

I would not take him at #7 though and don't think he will be there at our pick in the 2nd so if we want him our GM should make a deal.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

I hear that a lot, but the truth is, even pro QBs play a lot out of the shotgun nowadays. The more you watch the NFL game, the more you see teams running a traditional pro-style set ONLY on running downs or to set up play-action (not always, but quite often). The rest of the time, they're running a spread-style, shotgun-based offense. It's obviously not based on zone-read concepts like in college, but it's a spread with 3 or 4 WRs (or TEs) and the QB NOT under center.

Depending on the score, NFL QBs might be under center less than 50% of the time now, so that appears to be less and less of a concern these days.

Yeah but think of it this way, it is easier for a QB to go from under center and take the snap in shotgun, if the QB only knows shotgun then footwork become a problem and you need to teach how to keep you eyes on and read the D while going into a 3 step drop.

What people don't realize why the spread or run and shoot don't work to good in the NFL is that inside the 20 the field is shortened. Its great between the 20's but need need that pro set to as you say setup the play action and run inside the 20's.

Locker played a lot from under center, though.
Originally posted by SF69ers:

Locker played a lot from under center, though.

Which is one less thing you have to teach him, just have to fine tune his 3, 5, and seven step. Still at #7 no. Has not shown in the few games they showed anything special.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Yeah but think of it this way, it is easier for a QB to go from under center and take the snap in shotgun, if the QB only knows shotgun then footwork become a problem and you need to teach how to keep you eyes on and read the D while going into a 3 step drop.

What people don't realize why the spread or run and shoot don't work to good in the NFL is that inside the 20 the field is shortened. Its great between the 20's but need need that pro set to as you say setup the play action and run inside the 20's.

True, but it's also tougher to pass in the redzone, so that's where your running game comes in to play. I agree, spread-style QBs will absolutely have to make adjustments to the pro-style systems of the NFL...no doubt about it. But the NFL is also creeping closer to college in a lot of ways, so the gap isn't quite as large as one might think.

The bigger issues will always be (IMO):

1.) The speed of the NFL game compared to college
2.) MUCH smaller windows to throw in (very few WRs get or stay open for long)
3.) Understanding/deciphering disguised coverages/blitzes; cracking the code at the line of scrimmage and finding the mismatches/soft spots
bump
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
If we got the Patriots 2 first round picks and spent one of them on Locker i could live with it

My thoughts too. He'd be ok later in the 1st., I'd still get my stop gap guy in FA too..

Say no to Locker!!!
Originally posted by Kolohe:
In no way a fan of Locker in the 1st round, but if Harbaugh was to pick him up at any time in the draft, I'd have to bite my tongue and trust his word.

Can we trust you with judging QBs Kolohe? Weren't you on the Ken Dorsey and Cody Pickett bandwagon?

Nah, part of me says he has the most potential as a WCO QB and the other part says his accuracy makes him just another QB. He is a huge project in my opinion. He is boom or bust. Between the two Smith's we have had enough problems with inaccurate QBs. I trust Harbaugh too but I think we should go with a WCO vet QB this year and wait until next year to draft a QB. I think this year is full of project QBs... not many if any are safe(r) picks.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
In no way a fan of Locker in the 1st round, but if Harbaugh was to pick him up at any time in the draft, I'd have to bite my tongue and trust his word.

Can we trust you with judging QBs Kolohe? Weren't you on the Ken Dorsey and Cody Pickett bandwagon?

Nah, part of me says he has the most potential as a WCO QB and the other part says his accuracy makes him just another QB. He is a huge project in my opinion. He is boom or bust. Between the two Smith's we have had enough problems with inaccurate QBs. I trust Harbaugh too but I think we should go with a WCO vet QB this year and wait until next year to draft a QB. I think this year is full of project QBs... not many if any are safe(r) picks.

I agree they are mostly projects, but smart offensive-minded coaches, who we now have, can tailor their game plans to accommodate rookie QBs and allow them to be successful. Joe Flacco, going from Delaware to the NFL, is an example of a rookie who many thought would need some time, who was successful right away. The NFL has seen a lot of recent rookie success at QB, including Sam Bradford, Flacco, Sanchez, Roethlisberger, and in part Tebow and Colt McCoy last year.
if we trade #7 to the PAts for thier 2 first rounders and a third I would be okay.

QB Loker and CB Harris
Originally posted by backontop:
Say no to Locker!!!

why...?
Share 49ersWebzone