LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 228 users in the forums

Jake Locker Bandwagon

Originally posted by mayo49:
I'm riding shoot gun. I love Locker as our WCO trigger man.

I'd prefer Locker ovwr Gabbert.
Here is what I see in Gabbert.

Pretty accurate QB, but very average arm strength.
Played in a shotgun only 4-6 wide at all times offense.
Almost every play was a one read throw. There was not alot of read progression from Gabbert, mostly presnap read and throw.
Originally posted by Syxton:

Almost every play was a one read throw. There was not alot of read progression from Gabbert, mostly presnap read and throw.

How can you have SIX receivers when only FIVE are eligible?
Originally posted by DarthNiner:

He's actually right though except Gabbert has a much better arm than he's giving him credit for.

That 6 WR set is scary.
Originally posted by SWAGG-ER:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Yes yes, I know a lot of people don't like him, and will be dumb enough to not even read my post and just start bashing him. Everyone bashes him, we know, you can save yourself the trouble. I just wanted to give a forum to the subculture of zoners who see the potential in Locker. I am one, and here are my thoughts as to why:

-Elite elite elite physical tools

-Elite intangibles

-Legitimate team leader...and a guy teammates and coaches love

-Clutch! He doesn't always make a play, but when it counts he does

-Phenomenal footwork

-I know Washington isn't good, but they just beat a top 20 team in a bowl game! that's huge for WA!!! He isn't Newton in this respect, but he IS a winner

-Tough. Really f'n tough. Played hurt all year

-Shows flashes of tremendous accuracy

-Fantastic throwing on the run

-Elite runner. Best running QB I've seen since Steve Young. Whereas VY and Vick are better runners, and more athletic, Locker is a much better decision maker regarding when to run and when not to. This fact makes him a superior running QB. When he does run, he's extremely effective

-Perfect for the WCO

Things that scare me:

-Touch on his passes. Stop throwing the short passes so hard!

-Is he too scared already? His accuracy would get worse as he got hassled more and more. Just started to play scared at times. Has that damaged him already?

-Accuracy needs to be more consistent

-Stop staring down receivers. I think he needs to get away form his first read quicker.

-Not ready to play right away. Will need major coaching from Harbaugh

1. Clutch like how? Going 5-14 for 56yds in a bowl game? Ya man, if Locker didn't play, NO FREAKIN WAY they beat Nebraska.

2. He's a winner? 1 bowl game in four years. And the stats above speak for his performance. He had 4 games this year where he threw for UNDER 71yds. That is freakin laughable. The bizarre thing is, Washington won 2 of those 4 in-spite of him! What a winner indeed.

3. Shows flashes of tremendous accuracy? Yes, his career 53.6 career comp % is tremendous. I mean hey, if thats not accurate, then i don't know what is.

*This kid is a bust waiting to happen. Hell, his college career was already a bust. Maybe someone can make him a tight end. Either way, i doubt his 7-14 for 64yds and 2int's against Stanford made The Harb a fan.

Have you WATCHED him play? Or are you only reading stats? And please stop using completion % to judge accuracy, it's one of my biggest scouting pet peeves. 1 bowl game in 4 years? Ummmm... He plays for one of the worst schools in college! When's the last time Washington won 1 bowl game?
No thank you, this dude spells cody pickett, all the way
Originally posted by canadian49erfan:

That 6 WR set is scary.

You guys are right, I watched the clips again, it is only 5 wide, but in a bunch formation it looks like the LT is a TE in a 3 man bunch on one side. My bad. Still, doesn't change any of the stuff I see.
Also, watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5nGYHLeB2g

By the end of it, Illinois is rushing 3 and Gabbert has happy feet.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
I have us taking locker in the 2nd round in my mock draft I'm working on. I don't see him going in the 1st round personally.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Quote:
I have heard a couple of draft forums say Locker would be good as a WCO qb. The same boards say his accuracy is a huge question mark. I thought to be a good WCO qb, you had to be accurate? Not necessarily, have a strong arm but to make pinpoint passes on those three step drops or quick passes. So this why I am confused in why he would make a WCO qb. If some one can clarify Id appreciate it.

Locker is an accurate QB as far as prospects go. A lot of people don't consider all the factors; like the scheme of the offense and the talent surrounding the QB. But all things considered he passes the eyeball test and is as accurate in my mind as any QB in the draft.

UHm... Alex Smith would like a word with you in the hypocritical's office. Oh, I mean principal's office.

Locker would disappoint me at #7, but I would put some faith in Harbaugh and trust what he sees. I have never been impressed with Jake though. He doesn't seem able to read the field... takes off too soon, and the accuracy bothers me.

All of which you mention is the very reason why not to take him in the 1st and 2nd rounds. People get too excited about athletic ability and arm strength, that they forget we are gonna be running the WCO which is all about timing and accuracy, both of which Locker struggle with.

If there was ever a QB that was overrated in college football, the award definitely goes to Jake Locker.

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SWAGG-ER:
Yes yes, I know a lot of people don't like him, and will be dumb enough to not even read my post and just start bashing him. Everyone bashes him, we know, you can save yourself the trouble. I just wanted to give a forum to the subculture of zoners who see the potential in Locker. I am one, and here are my thoughts as to why:

-Elite elite elite physical tools

-Elite intangibles

-Legitimate team leader...and a guy teammates and coaches love

-Clutch! He doesn't always make a play, but when it counts he does

-Phenomenal footwork

-I know Washington isn't good, but they just beat a top 20 team in a bowl game! that's huge for WA!!! He isn't Newton in this respect, but he IS a winner

-Tough. Really f'n tough. Played hurt all year

-Shows flashes of tremendous accuracy

-Fantastic throwing on the run

-Elite runner. Best running QB I've seen since Steve Young. Whereas VY and Vick are better runners, and more athletic, Locker is a much better decision maker regarding when to run and when not to. This fact makes him a superior running QB. When he does run, he's extremely effective

-Perfect for the WCO

Things that scare me:

-Touch on his passes. Stop throwing the short passes so hard!

-Is he too scared already? His accuracy would get worse as he got hassled more and more. Just started to play scared at times. Has that damaged him already?

-Accuracy needs to be more consistent

-Stop staring down receivers. I think he needs to get away form his first read quicker.

-Not ready to play right away. Will need major coaching from Harbaugh

1. Clutch like how? Going 5-14 for 56yds in a bowl game? Ya man, if Locker didn't play, NO FREAKIN WAY they beat Nebraska.

2. He's a winner? 1 bowl game in four years. And the stats above speak for his performance. He had 4 games this year where he threw for UNDER 71yds. That is freakin laughable. The bizarre thing is, Washington won 2 of those 4 in-spite of him! What a winner indeed.

3. Shows flashes of tremendous accuracy? Yes, his career 53.6 career comp % is tremendous. I mean hey, if thats not accurate, then i don't know what is.

*This kid is a bust waiting to happen. Hell, his college career was already a bust. Maybe someone can make him a tight end. Either way, i doubt his 7-14 for 64yds and 2int's against Stanford made The Harb a fan.

Have you WATCHED him play? Or are you only reading stats? And please stop using completion % to judge accuracy, it's one of my biggest scouting pet peeves. 1 bowl game in 4 years? Ummmm... He plays for one of the worst schools in college! When's the last time Washington won 1 bowl game?

Ive watched him play a few times and he was very inaccurate. FYI it wasn't pin point passes dropped by bad WRs, it was passes Jerry Rice wouldn't have a chance on. now if Jim Harbaugh likes him enough to draft him, i wont freak out, i trust he sees enough to make him our QB of the future.
I'm on the bandwagon. Always been a fan of Locker's but now that we have Harbaugh, I would trust him if he made the pick.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Quote:
Greg McElroy, Alabama: 70.9
Patrick Devlin, Delaware: 68
Cam Newton, Auburn: 66.1
Andy Dalton, TCU: 66.1
Colin Kaepernick, Nevada: 64.9
Ryan Mallett, Arkansas: 64.7
Ricky Stanzi, Iowa: 64.1
Blaine Gabbert, Missouri: 63.4
Christian Ponder, FSU: 61.5
Jake Locker, Washington: 55.4

Yikes.

I watched him a couple of times and "flashes" of accuracy is just that, flashes. I don't mean to belittle your POV on him. I just don't see the consistency there, just like Alex Smith. Sure, I was lulled into believing he was accurate especially on the run given certain plays he did make. It's just not enough, consistency that is.

So why is that? Even if you have a subpar team, you should still be able to do it more consistently. Well, we will see the accuracy or not at the Senior Bowl practices.

At #7?
Originally posted by DarthNiner:

Wouldn't 10 receivers be even better?
Share 49ersWebzone