There are 214 users in the forums

Jake Locker Bandwagon

Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by pete98146:
At this rate he may be there in the second round. I'm not sure I even want him there.

He won't be there in the 2nd. I can guarantee that. Too much potential at the QB position.

Clausen was a lock as well.......wired s**t happens sometimes

True but Clausen doesn't have the type of skills that Locker has. That, and his poor attitude wasn't something that teams liked.

Clausen came from a pro system, had a good QB body, good accuracy and strength, decent athlete, and was smart. The only attitude issue from this year was his apologizing to his team which he got ripped for.

From what I remember on his pro day, he had some issues with arm strength and they were discussing his arrogant personality.

I would consider Rivers a big arrogant son of a b***h....but he does his job pretty well. Obviously to each his own but Locker...or Cam...or Newton could fall.
At this rate he may be there in the second round. I'm not sure I even want him there.

He won't be there in the 2nd. I can guarantee that. Too much potential at the QB position.

True but Clausen doesn't have the type of skills that Locker has. That, and his poor attitude wasn't something that teams liked.

Clausen came from a pro system, had a good QB body, good accuracy and strength, decent athlete, and was smart. The only attitude issue from this year was his apologizing to his team which he got ripped for.

From what I remember on his pro day, he had some issues with arm strength and they were discussing his arrogant personality.

I would consider Rivers a big arrogant son of a b***h....but he does his job pretty well. Obviously to each his own but Locker...or Cam...or Newton could fall.

Someone will definitely fall, but out of the big names, I think Mallett will fall.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

Someone will definitely fall, but out of the big names, I think Mallett will fall.

Mallett will probably fall. In the 2000s teams want a mobile QB, not necessarily a Mike Vick, but someone like Aaron Rodgers who can move around and get yards. I don't see a team that is going to want a big statue QB with a huge arm, that might have character issues.

I will repost!

Per Rob Rang:

"No denying Locker's inconsistent accuracy, but I've had scouts look at me like I was crazy when I asked if he'd slip out of 1st."
Its amazing how much a stock can drop after 1 bad season.lol
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
Its amazing how much a stock can drop after 1 bad season.lol

same has the rise from 1 good senior season
Rewatching Senior Bowl practice.

Mayock just compared Locker to Alex Smith.

I don't agree that they are similar QBs.

But I agree that if we put him in the same situation, where he is forced to start right away, learn a new offense too quick and he doesn't have a chance for "the light to come on" as Mayock put it, he will have the same results.

He's not an instant starter and we can't take him to be one. It would be devastating for him and the team.
From NFLPost on the Sr Bowl North QB's including Locker....they are not high on him....Sr Bowl QB Report
Originally posted by TexasNiner:

But I agree that if we put him in the same situation, where he is forced to start right away, learn a new offense too quick and he doesn't have a chance for "the light to come on" as Mayock put it, he will have the same results.

He's not an instant starter and we can't take him to be one. It would be devastating for him and the team.

Locker is infinitely more a playmaker with his legs. That alone could bail him out of many situations which Smith was stuck in the pocket. Also the team is FAR better than the '05 Smith rookie year team. Much better support in that sense. I don't agree at all with your assessment. Didn't Pete Carroll say Sanchez would regret coming out early. Two years later he's been to two AFC Championships.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by BrodieWins:
From NFLPost on the Sr Bowl North QB's including Locker....they are not high on him....Sr Bowl QB Report

Pretty good analysis on all North QB's.

Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by TexasNiner:

Locker is infinitely more a playmaker with his legs. That alone could bail him out of many situations which Smith was stuck in the pocket. Also the team is FAR better than the '05 Smith rookie year team. Much better support in that sense. I don't agree at all with your assessment. Didn't Pete Carroll say Sanchez would regret coming out early. Two years later he's been to two AFC Championships.

Pete was just testing him.

Suuuuure. What's his deal?
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Quote:
While the consensus seems to be that Locker improved daily, that’s typical as players develop in-practice comfort zones. Locker’s primary backer is ESPN’s Todd McShay.

“We saw each and every day, Locker got better,” said McShay, calling Locker a “mid first-round“ draft pick. “His accuracy improved.”

At the opposite end of the spectrum are Russ Lande of Sporting News and FOX Sports’ Adam Caplan. Lande on Locker:

“I think Jake Locker hurt himself, I really do. … His accuracy is terrible. … I spoke to a coach today to get his opinion and he said if a guy’s mechanics are good and he’s smart enough, but his accuracy stinks then there’s not a lot you can do.

“… I don’t think he’s going to be a starting quarterback in the NFL.”

Added Caplan, “I don’t see how … Locker will be selected in the first round. … His passing mechanics continue to be a big issue. He rarely put together two accurate passes in a row … The most important characteristic for a quarterback to possess is ability to throw the ball accurately — something which has plagued him throughout his career.”

On Wednesday, Caplan wrote from Mobile that Locker “from an accuracy standpoint, (was) still the worst of the six (quarterbacks) here.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/28/jake-locker-is-a-polarizing-figure/
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Jcool:
Quote:
While the consensus seems to be that Locker improved daily, that’s typical as players develop in-practice comfort zones. Locker’s primary backer is ESPN’s Todd McShay.

“We saw each and every day, Locker got better,” said McShay, calling Locker a “mid first-round“ draft pick. “His accuracy improved.”

At the opposite end of the spectrum are Russ Lande of Sporting News and FOX Sports’ Adam Caplan. Lande on Locker:

“I think Jake Locker hurt himself, I really do. … His accuracy is terrible. … I spoke to a coach today to get his opinion and he said if a guy’s mechanics are good and he’s smart enough, but his accuracy stinks then there’s not a lot you can do.

Added Caplan, “I don’t see how … Locker will be selected in the first round. … His passing mechanics continue to be a big issue. He rarely put together two accurate passes in a row … The most important characteristic for a quarterback to possess is ability to throw the ball accurately — something which has plagued him throughout his career.”

On Wednesday, Caplan wrote from Mobile that Locker “from an accuracy standpoint, (was) still the worst of the six (quarterbacks) here.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/28/jake-locker-is-a-polarizing-figure/

This is why I think Locker would be a bad fit for the WCO, its about timing and accuracy. I think Locker would fit more in a San Diego digit system, power running game that utilizes a lot of down field play-action.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Quote:

This is why I think Locker would be a bad fit for the WCO, its about timing and accuracy. I think Locker would fit more in a San Diego digit system, power running game that utilizes a lot of down field play-action.

If he cant hit a WR he wont fit in anywhere
I still think Locker will surprise a lot of people. Especially with his ability to take over the game with his legs.

[ Edited by SF69ers on Jan 28, 2011 at 09:08:38 ]
Share 49ersWebzone