There are 134 users in the forums

Jake Locker Bandwagon

Yes yes, I know a lot of people don't like him, and will be dumb enough to not even read my post and just start bashing him. Everyone bashes him, we know, you can save yourself the trouble. I just wanted to give a forum to the subculture of zoners who see the potential in Locker. I am one, and here are my thoughts as to why:

-Elite elite elite physical tools

-Elite intangibles

-Legitimate team leader...and a guy teammates and coaches love

-Clutch! He doesn't always make a play, but when it counts he does

-Phenomenal footwork

-I know Washington isn't good, but they just beat a top 20 team in a bowl game! that's huge for WA!!! He isn't Newton in this respect, but he IS a winner

-Tough. Really f'n tough. Played hurt all year

-Shows flashes of tremendous accuracy

-Fantastic throwing on the run

-Elite runner. Best running QB I've seen since Steve Young. Whereas VY and Vick are better runners, and more athletic, Locker is a much better decision maker regarding when to run and when not to. This fact makes him a superior running QB. When he does run, he's extremely effective

-Perfect for the WCO

Things that scare me:

-Touch on his passes. Stop throwing the short passes so hard!

-Is he too scared already? His accuracy would get worse as he got hassled more and more. Just started to play scared at times. Has that damaged him already?

-Accuracy needs to be more consistent

-Stop staring down receivers. I think he needs to get away form his first read quicker.

-Not ready to play right away. Will need major coaching from Harbaugh
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
In no way a fan of Locker in the 1st round, but if Harbaugh was to pick him up at any time in the draft, I'd have to bite my tongue and trust his word.
Not another one....

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=150644
I wouldn't be surprised.

Locker is the perfect mold to be a WCO QB. Look, he had a terrible season. Bad accuracy. But he played injury and had talent that a high school team literally could beat. Remember just one year ago it was a debate that he could go #1 overall.

I think this year hurt his confidence above all else. That scares me a lot. I'm not a supporter of Locker, but wouldn't be surprised. I think he could be good with the right coaching (which, I believe we have).

In the end, the senior bowl and the week before will tell a lot of tales about him. The combine will show he's athletic, but I want to see him play live against great college talent and see what he does.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
If we got the Patriots 2 first round picks and spent one of them on Locker i could live with it
I'm on the Jake Locker bandwagon. I was really impressed with his bowl performance (which was statistically a mediocre game) but his savvy and leadership were evident. He looks like a good coach and good playmakers away from being elite. Could be a great combination with Harbaugh. I just want Quinn/Amukamarra (sp?) too. If he was available in the mid 20s, I can really see a trade up.
Harbaugh would do wonders with him. I'm all for it.
I have heard a couple of draft forums say Locker would be good as a WCO qb. The same boards say his accuracy is a huge question mark. I thought to be a good WCO qb, you had to be accurate? Not necessarily, have a strong arm but to make pinpoint passes on those three step drops or quick passes. So this why I am confused in why he would make a WCO qb. If some one can clarify Id appreciate it.
Quote:
I have heard a couple of draft forums say Locker would be good as a WCO qb. The same boards say his accuracy is a huge question mark. I thought to be a good WCO qb, you had to be accurate? Not necessarily, have a strong arm but to make pinpoint passes on those three step drops or quick passes. So this why I am confused in why he would make a WCO qb. If some one can clarify Id appreciate it.

Locker is an accurate QB as far as prospects go. A lot of people don't consider all the factors; like the scheme of the offense and the talent surrounding the QB. But all things considered he passes the eyeball test and is as accurate in my mind as any QB in the draft.

His ability to extend plays with his legs, throw on the move, and scramble for positive yards is what draws the comparisons to Steve Young. Furthermore, it is ideal for a WCO QB to be able to move around and make plays.
[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on Jan 18, 2011 at 12:38 AM ]
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Yes yes, I know a lot of people don't like him, and will be dumb enough to not even read my post and just start bashing him. Everyone bashes him, we know, you can save yourself the trouble. I just wanted to give a forum to the subculture of zoners who see the potential in Locker. I am one, and here are my thoughts as to why:

-Elite intangibles

-Phenomenal footwork

-I know Washington isn't good, but they just beat a top 20 team in a bowl game! that's huge for WA!!! He isn't Newton in this respect, but he IS a winner

-Elite runner. Best running QB I've seen since Steve Young. Whereas VY and Vick are better runners, and more athletic, Locker is a much better decision maker regarding when to run and when not to. This fact makes him a superior running QB. When he does run, he's extremely effective

-Perfect for the WCO

Things that scare me:

-Is he too scared already? His accuracy would get worse as he got hassled more and more. Just started to play scared at times. Has that damaged him already?

-Stop staring down receivers. I think he needs to get away form his first read quicker.

1. Clutch like how? Going 5-14 for 56yds in a bowl game? Ya man, if Locker didn't play, NO FREAKIN WAY they beat Nebraska.

2. He's a winner? 1 bowl game in four years. And the stats above speak for his performance. He had 4 games this year where he threw for UNDER 71yds. That is freakin laughable. The bizarre thing is, Washington won 2 of those 4 in-spite of him! What a winner indeed.

3. Shows flashes of tremendous accuracy? Yes, his career 53.6 career comp % is tremendous. I mean hey, if thats not accurate, then i don't know what is.

*This kid is a bust waiting to happen. Hell, his college career was already a bust. Maybe someone can make him a tight end. Either way, i doubt his 7-14 for 64yds and 2int's against Stanford made The Harb a fan.

• 4ML
  • Veteran
Pass
Originally posted by SWAGG-ER:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

-Elite intangibles

-Phenomenal footwork

-Perfect for the WCO

Things that scare me:

1. Clutch like how? Going 5-14 for 56yds in a bowl game? Ya man, if Locker didn't play, NO FREAKIN WAY they beat Nebraska.

2. He's a winner? 1 bowl game in four years. And the stats above speak for his performance. He had 4 games this year where he threw for UNDER 71yds. That is freakin laughable. The bizarre thing is, Washington won 2 of those 4 in-spite of him! What a winner indeed.

3. Shows flashes of tremendous accuracy? Yes, his career 53.6 career comp % is tremendous. I mean hey, if thats not accurate, then i don't know what is.

*This kid is a bust waiting to happen. Hell, his college career was already a bust. Maybe someone can make him a tight end. Either way, i doubt his 7-14 for 64yds and 2int's against Stanford made The Harb a fan.

I'm not a big Jake Locker fan but you simply can't judge a QB by his stats in college. Did you know Joe Montana's career at Notre Dame he threw for 25 td and 25 int? He only had a 52% completion rate too. With stats like that he wouldn't even get drafted today.

Now I'm not comparing Locker to Montana by any means, i'm just pointing out that you don't have to have eye popping stats to be a WCO QB. Obviously Montana learned how to succeed as a WC QB so it's possible to learn.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I'm riding shoot gun. I love Locker as our WCO trigger man.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Quote:

Locker is an accurate QB as far as prospects go. A lot of people don't consider all the factors; like the scheme of the offense and the talent surrounding the QB. But all things considered he passes the eyeball test and is as accurate in my mind as any QB in the draft.

UHm... Alex Smith would like a word with you in the hypocritical's office. Oh, I mean principal's office.

Locker would disappoint me at #7, but I would put some faith in Harbaugh and trust what he sees. I have never been impressed with Jake though. He doesn't seem able to read the field... takes off too soon, and the accuracy bothers me.
Ever since our season ended, I've been looking at anything I can about the QB's that will be available at the #7 spot. Right now, I still believe Locker is the best of this year's QB's.

Positives
1. 2009 was not a fluke, and a down year doesn't remove a great year from his record. In 2009, he set his feet and was VERY accurate.

2. Unlike Gabbert and Mallett, Locker took alot of his snaps from under center.

3. The one attribute that sells me on Locker is an ability that most commonly is attributed to Aaron Rodgers. He is able to quickly release an accurate ball with a variety of arm angles. Many QB's have to have a perfect stance and pocket to be accurate. Locker can be running left, right, backwards forwards, jumping...etc and still release an accurate ball.

4. Obviously he is a good athlete, multiple sports, and highlight reel worthy runs.

5. Unquestioned team leader that steps up in big situations, doesn't fade away from the spotlight.

6. After watching many interviews with Locker, he has a good head on his shoulders. Doesn't come off as a dumb football player. (Mallett does)

Negatives
1. 2010 was not a fluke either. Was under pressure almost immediately and developed a bad habit of not stepping into his throws. Also, began trying to carry the team by himself at times and made some bad decisions.

2. Inconsistent accuracy. Will begin a game with 10 straight completions then go 0-5.

3. Sometimes pulled the ball down and ran too early.
Share 49ersWebzone