There are 163 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

MadDog49er Mid-January Mock Draft with Niners' Full Draft

Originally posted by Sims84:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Great mock MadDog. I personally think one of the "top" QB's will be there when we pick in the 2nd round. I can't see Newton, Mallet, Gabbert AND Locker going in the 1st round this year unless they ALL have great combines. They are all projects with MAYBE Mallet being able to start from day 1 on a team like Arizona.

With that said, would you still take Dalton/Devlin/Stanzi over any of the "Top" QB's that drop in the 2nd round?

I disagree with your assessment of the QB's. I think the Big 4 will all be first rounders. I would take Dalton over all of the Big Four, except for Gabberts.

Respectable but why would you take Dalton, a guy who played against zero talent (besides Utah and we all saw how overrated they were in the bowl game) over the Big 4?

I just don't see where all 4 QB's will go. ONE of them, MAYBE will be a Top 10 pick with 2 of the remaining 3 at the most going in the rest of the 1st round. Book it

One of them will be available at 45 since 3 out 4 will not be able to start in the NFL right away, IMO

Very fair question regarding Dalton. He is a four year starter, and is the smart, mobile QB that Harbaugh would love. I think Senior Bowl week will go a long way to dispell fears about playing for TCU and not Alabama.

I seriously doubt any of the four will slip out of the first round. Teams will jump back into the back end of the first to grab one. It happens every year.
Great mock MadDog. I personally think one of the "top" QB's will be there when we pick in the 2nd round. I can't see Newton, Mallet, Gabbert AND Locker going in the 1st round this year unless they ALL have great combines. They are all projects with MAYBE Mallet being able to start from day 1 on a team like Arizona.

With that said, would you still take Dalton/Devlin/Stanzi over any of the "Top" QB's that drop in the 2nd round?

I disagree with your assessment of the QB's. I think the Big 4 will all be first rounders. I would take Dalton over all of the Big Four, except for Gabberts.

Respectable but why would you take Dalton, a guy who played against zero talent (besides Utah and we all saw how overrated they were in the bowl game) over the Big 4?

I just don't see where all 4 QB's will go. ONE of them, MAYBE will be a Top 10 pick with 2 of the remaining 3 at the most going in the rest of the 1st round. Book it

One of them will be available at 45 since 3 out 4 will not be able to start in the NFL right away, IMO

Very fair question regarding Dalton. He is a four year starter, and is the smart, mobile QB that Harbaugh would love. I think Senior Bowl week will go a long way to dispell fears about playing for TCU and not Alabama.

I seriously doubt any of the four will slip out of the first round. Teams will jump back into the back end of the first to grab one. It happens every year.

I have only watched about 2 TCU games in full and personally liked what I saw out of Dalton but again, that was vs zero talent. If you could compare his mobility, accuracy and arm strength to 3 different players in the NFL, who would they be (of course comparisons are tough since everyone is different, but I'm just trying to get a more "in depth" assessment of the kid) and when I say "3 different", I just mean: Dalton has the mobility of blank, the accuracy of blank and the arm strength of blank.

Thanks MD.

Also, I guess we will see come draft day but nobody thought Tebow would be taken in front of Clausen or Mccoy last year and VERY FEW thought Mccoy would last until the 3rd round so with the "Big 4" all being projects, I believe that reason alone (projects) will leave AT LEAST 1, AT THE MOST 2 of the QB's sitting in the 2nd round. We will see though
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I posted in another thread that you don't need a great corner to have a great defense, you need to be able to pressure the QB, and even advocated trading down in the first round to pick up extra picks, but if by some freak of nature Peterson falls to us, we take him. The only other players that are a must at that spot are Prince Anukamara or Marcel Dareus. I like Robert Quinn, but with a stout D-Line, but with the scheme we will be playing next season and with creative and more frequent blitzing, I expect sack numbers to go up. So I'm down for Peterson, Anukamara, or Dareus. If we can't get either of the tree, trade down with some team that is QB hungry.

I think Harbaugh is going to go with high character players, so Quinn will not be on the Niners' board. Dareus should be off the board already. You have no reason to worry. One of the three you are targeting will be on the board.

What's wrong with Quinn?

BTW What do you think about trading down and getting a guy like Ayers/Houston/Kerrigan and getting another 2nd round pick or something?

Declared permanently ineligible to play college football, University of North Carolina star junior defensiv end Robert Quinn accepted $5,642 in extra benefits from agents.

He took two black diamond watches, a pair of matching earrings and travel accommodations for a trip to Miami, among other benefits.

Plus, Quinn as well as wide receiver Greg Little provided false and misleading information to NCAA enforcement officials. Defensive tackle Marvin Austin was also dismissed from the team for similar rule violations.

From the National Football Post
What about Gabbert, do you really think the Bengals will select a QB with their first pick? I see us trading up to around no 5 and taking Blaine Gabbert. I want Blaine Gabbert.
nice
Originally posted by teeohh:
The bengals pick kind of surprises me, id think they go.d or receiver. I know palmer hasn't been great but still

I live very close to the land of the Bengals. Palmer was horrific the last half of 2010, and there is a pretty good likelihood that he will be elsewhere in 2011. If a top QB is on the board at that point, it is a distinct possibility that there might be a draft day trade for Palmer.

They need a lot of help. This is a team in a rebuild phase.

With no CBA in place (and the likelihood is probably 99% that will be the case), there will be no draft-day trades involving players already on rosters. If Cincy picks Gabbert, they're envisioning another year for Palmer playing back-up, or projecting a later trade when the CBA is done (which could be well into what would have been the season except for a lockout). Hard to tell what kind of trade value he'd have.

That's also why I think we'll see fewer draft-day trades in general: with the uncertainty about the next season, most teams will be risk averse and stand pat with the picks they have, unless they're truly desperate...but with less valuable chips to barter.
[ Edited by 49erThrowback on Jan 16, 2011 at 8:32 AM ]
Originally posted by Icelandic49er:
What about Gabbert, do you really think the Bengals will select a QB with their first pick? I see us trading up to around no 5 and taking Blaine Gabbert. I want Blaine Gabbert.

Gabbert is a good player (though will still be developmental in his first year, particularly with the CBA situation), but I don't think it will be worth moving up in the draft to grab him, and maybe not even to take him at #7, given the other needs the Niners have (and the prospects likely to be there), with other decent QBs available from the 2nd round on. I'm with MadDog on this one.
Originally posted by Icelandic49er:

Trading up for Gabbert? No thanks.
I really just don't see Peterson dropping to us but I would love to draft him. He'll be real good.

If he's not there I think I'd prefer we look into trading down, even with Prince on board.

i think we really need to address our pass rush and there is some very good 3-4 OLB talent mid 1st round.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
[ Edited by mayo49 on Jan 16, 2011 at 9:14 AM ]
No matter who the 49ers pick at #7, I wouldn't mind seeing the 49ers get back into the 1st round and drafting Von Miller. I think he is the past pass rusher in the draft and he has already played in the 3-4 in college. This team needs someone on defense that can get consistent pressure on the qb.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I posted in another thread that you don't need a great corner to have a great defense, you need to be able to pressure the QB, and even advocated trading down in the first round to pick up extra picks, but if by some freak of nature Peterson falls to us, we take him. The only other players that are a must at that spot are Prince Anukamara or Marcel Dareus. I like Robert Quinn, but with a stout D-Line, but with the scheme we will be playing next season and with creative and more frequent blitzing, I expect sack numbers to go up. So I'm down for Peterson, Anukamara, or Dareus. If we can't get either of the tree, trade down with some team that is QB hungry.

I do agree with you but your last line made me smile. We only have Carr under contract. What team could be more QB hungry than us?
Originally posted by mayo49:
Talk about this Devlin kid, I know nothing about him.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d0/Pat_Devlin2.jpg/250px-Pat_Devlin2.jpg

Birth Date: April 12, 1988
Hometown: DOWNINGTOWN, PA
Height: 6-4
Weight: 222 lbs.
Class: Senior

This isn't enough talk???!!??
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Talk about this Devlin kid, I know nothing about him.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d0/Pat_Devlin2.jpg/250px-Pat_Devlin2.jpg

Birth Date: April 12, 1988
Hometown: DOWNINGTOWN, PA
Height: 6-4
Weight: 222 lbs.
Class: Senior

This isn't enough talk???!!??

Thanks I didn't see that.
LOL @ those 2 qb's in top 5. Both of which were relative unknowns last year. NEVA GONNA HAPPEN! Teams don't draft 1yr wonders (not even that wonderful of a yr in Gabberts case) on qb's from spread systems in the top 5.