There are 100 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

MadDog49er Mid-January Mock Draft with Niners' Full Draft

Originally posted by Byisgod:
Haven't seen much of Dalton. MadDog, do you think he is better than Stanzi/Devlin/Ponder?

Yes. In fact, I grade him as the second best QB in the draft, after Gabbert.
Originally posted by teeohh:
The bengals pick kind of surprises me, id think they go.d or receiver. I know palmer hasn't been great but still

I live very close to the land of the Bengals. Palmer was horrific the last half of 2010, and there is a pretty good likelihood that he will be elsewhere in 2011. If a top QB is on the board at that point, it is a distinct possibility that there might be a draft day trade for Palmer.

They need a lot of help. This is a team in a rebuild phase.
Originally posted by JDeezy:
Absolutely excellent, hopefully its plausible. I'd be damn near ecstatic, hell even elated, if we got Peterson. He's the one guy in this draft who I think is tailor-made for multiple pro bowls. Secondly, we hit almost every need. I'm not that big of a Dalton fan, but realistically there is no sure thing qb in this draft not even at the top. I also really like the 3rd and 4th picks. Havilli has so much more of an impact than a true fullback. Good Job MD, hopefully the picks come to fruition. Question is if not Peterson, what about Prince. Are they 1a and 1b or do u guys think there's a considerable gap between them. I think Peterson has more capacity to dominate whereas Prince may be more of a technician. I'd be satisfied with either, but Peterson is rated higher by most.

I think there is a gap between Peterson and Prince, but if Peterson is gone at 7, the Niners probably have to reach for Prince. They are going to need a starter right away, and both guys can step in immediately.
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
This just seems more hopeful than realistic. I can't see Denver passing on Peterson.

But damn would I be happy if it went like this.

Corners are simply never taken that high, ever. I guess I am going with the history of the NFL.
Originally posted by SVcabron1980:
MD, Isn't Havili a little early in the 4th round? I mean Peyton Hillis and that crazy dude Owen Schmitt both went in the 6th round or later. Or do you think Havili is that good of a FB prospect. Perhaps we could get a burner WR in the 4th round instead.

Most of the time, I would agree that a fullback in the fourth seems a bit high. However, in the case of the Niners, they are transitioning to the WCO, and Havili was born to play in it. Second, since the Niners have two fourth rounders, they have the luxury of selecting someone that high.

Havili is potentially a very dynamic player with a creative offense in place.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
The bengals pick kind of surprises me, id think they go.d or receiver. I know palmer hasn't been great but still

I live very close to the land of the Bengals. Palmer was horrific the last half of 2010, and there is a pretty good likelihood that he will be elsewhere in 2011. If a top QB is on the board at that point, it is a distinct possibility that there might be a draft day trade for Palmer.

P.S. People tend to remember Palmer back from the early 2000's, but in his last 4 seasons, here are Palmer's QB rating:
2007- 86.7
2008- 69.0
2009- 83.6
2010- 82.4

And, the number in 2010 was with two future Hall of Famers, three second and third round WR's from the past few years, and a 1st round TE. People are not happy with his performance, and simply think he is on the decline.
Originally posted by Sims84:
Great mock MadDog. I personally think one of the "top" QB's will be there when we pick in the 2nd round. I can't see Newton, Mallet, Gabbert AND Locker going in the 1st round this year unless they ALL have great combines. They are all projects with MAYBE Mallet being able to start from day 1 on a team like Arizona.

With that said, would you still take Dalton/Devlin/Stanzi over any of the "Top" QB's that drop in the 2nd round?

I disagree with your assessment of the QB's. I think the Big 4 will all be first rounders. I would take Dalton over all of the Big Four, except for Gabberts.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Devlin > Dalton

and there is also no way the Bills take a top 10 DT over a Gamebreaking WR see CJ SPILLER from last year

The Bills rush defense was 32nd, dead last in the NFL. Meanwhile, they have two game-breaking WR's in Lee Evans and Steve Johnson. They won't go WR.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I posted in another thread that you don't need a great corner to have a great defense, you need to be able to pressure the QB, and even advocated trading down in the first round to pick up extra picks, but if by some freak of nature Peterson falls to us, we take him. The only other players that are a must at that spot are Prince Anukamara or Marcel Dareus. I like Robert Quinn, but with a stout D-Line, but with the scheme we will be playing next season and with creative and more frequent blitzing, I expect sack numbers to go up. So I'm down for Peterson, Anukamara, or Dareus. If we can't get either of the tree, trade down with some team that is QB hungry.

I think Harbaugh is going to go with high character players, so Quinn will not be on the Niners' board. Dareus should be off the board already. You have no reason to worry. One of the three you are targeting will be on the board.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I posted in another thread that you don't need a great corner to have a great defense, you need to be able to pressure the QB, and even advocated trading down in the first round to pick up extra picks, but if by some freak of nature Peterson falls to us, we take him. The only other players that are a must at that spot are Prince Anukamara or Marcel Dareus. I like Robert Quinn, but with a stout D-Line, but with the scheme we will be playing next season and with creative and more frequent blitzing, I expect sack numbers to go up. So I'm down for Peterson, Anukamara, or Dareus. If we can't get either of the tree, trade down with some team that is QB hungry.

I think Harbaugh is going to go with high character players, so Quinn will not be on the Niners' board. Dareus should be off the board already. You have no reason to worry. One of the three you are targeting will be on the board.

What's wrong with Quinn?

BTW What do you think about trading down and getting a guy like Ayers/Houston/Kerrigan and getting another 2nd round pick or something?
the talent in the top 7 really do have a gap in between the rest of the draft. im all for trading down if we would get an extra 2nd tho because of the possible talent we could land in the 2nd and 3rd. it just seems everyone in the top 7 should almost certainly be difference makers immediately
Originally posted by Sims84:
Great mock MadDog. I personally think one of the "top" QB's will be there when we pick in the 2nd round. I can't see Newton, Mallet, Gabbert AND Locker going in the 1st round this year unless they ALL have great combines. They are all projects with MAYBE Mallet being able to start from day 1 on a team like Arizona.

With that said, would you still take Dalton/Devlin/Stanzi over any of the "Top" QB's that drop in the 2nd round?

I disagree with your assessment of the QB's. I think the Big 4 will all be first rounders. I would take Dalton over all of the Big Four, except for Gabberts.

Respectable but why would you take Dalton, a guy who played against zero talent (besides Utah and we all saw how overrated they were in the bowl game) over the Big 4?

I just don't see where all 4 QB's will go. ONE of them, MAYBE will be a Top 10 pick with 2 of the remaining 3 at the most going in the rest of the 1st round. Book it

One of them will be available at 45 since 3 out 4 will not be able to start in the NFL right away, IMO

MD It appears the consensus on the webzone is that #7 is too high for a QB selection. Wouldn't the logic be the same for Cincy and Ariz?
Originally posted by TalkinBoutWILLIS:
the talent in the top 7 really do have a gap in between the rest of the draft. im all for trading down if we would get an extra 2nd tho because of the possible talent we could land in the 2nd and 3rd. it just seems everyone in the top 7 should almost certainly be difference makers immediately

I'm not sure the magic number for the talent gap is at seven. It may be more like 9 or 10. But, the Niners are going to get a quality player at seven.

I'm not an advocate for trading down in this draft. We need quality players now, not depth.
Originally posted by ishkabibel:

MD It appears the consensus on the webzone is that #7 is too high for a QB selection. Wouldn't the logic be the same for Cincy and Ariz?

Don't think so. Usually, there are one or two QB's who really look sharp in their individual workouts and a QB hungry team tries to build their franchise around that talent. Arizona is desperate for a QB, and Cincinnati is simply not happy with Palmer, who is regressing.