LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 299 users in the forums

MAV MOCK! 2011 v1.0

Okay guys I know many of you have been losing sleep the past few weeks waiting for my first 2011 mock . Disclaimer: I'm trying to be realistic with what I believe is "possible" in our draft/offseason. I'm also aware we have several comp picks that I did not include. Not sure where there going to be so I did not include them.

FA:

QB- Donovan Mcnabb: I really could see us bringing in a veteran QB as a stop gap while we develop our long term option. I put DM here because I know he'll be available and he's well versed in the WCO.

Draft:

Round 1:

Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska: An elite corner talent. Any Niner fan is well aware this is an area that must be addressed. Personally I don't see any QB that's worth the 7 spot. Especially with the level of DE and CB talent that will be on the board.

Round 2:

Jeremy Beal, OLB, Oklahoma: One of the more polished/experienced OLB's coming out. Reports say a very "blue collar" and high work ethic guy. Natural leader and team captain at Oklahoma. Experience in dropping in coverage and hard nosed. Seems in past years these OLB's drop. Would be a great 2nd rd addition that also address a need.

Round 3:

Andy Dalton, QB, TCU: Our project. I don't see him as a day 1 starter but given a year to learn the system and be molded by Harbaugh could really turn into something special. Mobile, accurate, and great intangibles/leadership abilities. Projects greatly as a WCO QB. Some give him a 5-7rd grade but I believe after senior bowl and combine his stock will rise. Taking him in the 3rd is decent value.

Round 4:

Noel Devine, RB, West Virgina: I see us in need of a scat back/return guy. Projects as a possible Sproles or Mccluster type player. Last year was graded much higher but due to injuries and drop in production stock has gone down. At this point its reasonable to suspect he could be here in the 4th.

Round 5:

Cedric Thornton, DE, Central Arkansas: Sleeper pick. Has all the size, strength, and ability your looking for. Small school guy who dominated his competition. I also don't think it's a bad idea to have a guy to develop on our DL. Could be special opposite of Smith.

Round 6:

Justin Boren, G, Ohio State: Depth/project.

Round 7:

Anthony Gray, NT, Southern Miss: Depth/project.

Feedback?? Let me know how much you hate these picks.
[ Edited by mavfd9er on Jan 14, 2011 at 9:41 PM ]
It's not that i dont like/like it, it's just that there isnt a lot to judge. Only one free agent? Were there any niner free agents resigned or any released? No trades? I do like this as start though, definately headed in the right direction. Id be VERY happy with this draft!
[ Edited by 49swaggER on Jan 14, 2011 at 9:48 PM ]
Originally posted by 49swaggER:
It's not that i dont like/like it, it's just that there isnt a lot to judge. Only one free agent? Were there any niner free agents resigned or any released? No trades? I do like this as start though, definately headed in the right direction. Id be VERY happy with this draft!

Haha good catch. I'm pretty redundant/repetitive when I write. I was just thinking about main FA acquisitions. Resigning Franklin needs to be a priority. I probably should have included that. Thanks for the feedback.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
switch dalton for stanzi..... i just dont see dalton having any talent or upside over stanzi
Originally posted by fan49:
switch dalton for stanzi.....[b] i just dont see dalton having any talent or upside over stanzi

[/b]

Dalton has a bigger arm and is just as accurate....I Just dont get the stanzi love affair most of you have.
switch dalton for stanzi..... i just dont see dalton having any talent or upside over stanzi

with the amount of love Stanzi has been getting here I'm really betting we don't get him
[ Edited by jreff22 on Jan 15, 2011 at 8:49 AM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by jreff22:

with the amount of live Stanzi has been getting here I'm really betting we don't get him

Does that mean hype??
Originally posted by Kolohe:

with the amount of live Stanzi has been getting here I'm really betting we don't get him

Does that mean hype??

supposed to be "love"
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Does that mean hype??

supposed to be "love"

(love this smiley btw)

I'm really not that big on Stanzi. I just feel Dalton has the most complete skill set out all the QB's in this draft class. Like I said in my original post if he was given a year under Harbaugh we might have someone really special. Whats most important is that he has the intangibles that are a must for any successful NFL QB.

Just to let you know the 49ers have 2 picks in the 4th , 6th and 7th rounds.
I have the same 2 first round picks in my mock offseason that I am working on. I like the McNabb pick but think that he won't come here for some reason. I think he's gonna want to work with a stud WR (and tall to help with his accuracy issues) like Fitz in Arizona or maybe Rice in Minnesota.

I disagree with Dalton in the 3rd and would much rather have Stanzi in that spot. I know there's been some debate, but I'm sure that whoever it is Harbaugh will get the right guy. I just think that Stanzi is more polished in the pro style offense at Iowa (very similar to a WCO that Harbaugh will run) and I think he's gonna be a better pro. Better footwork and accuracy for Stanzi gives him the edge in my opinion.

The key will be how this draft plays out and in the end how it translates into our FA season. I'm not saying I necessarily agree with it, but I think we'll see Josh Johnson in here next year, a FA like Brady Quinn, and a rookie like Stanzi/Dalton. I don't think we'll get a big name necessarily. The front office is going to leave Harbaugh the option of coaching up the talent and then really looking at the QB's available next year.
I love that draft. Especially the top three picks. Pince is a huge need, Beal would give us a needed pass rusher, and I am fully on the Dalton bandwagon, I think he could be our QB of the future.
If Beal is not there for us in the 2nd, what do you think about Casey Matthews with our second?
Originally posted by canadian49erfan:
If Beal is not there for us in the 2nd, what do you think about Casey Matthews with our second?

I think Matthews isn't a bad option at all. From what I see the big knock on him is his size (about 230lbs). But he has a great motor, displays natural leadership, and has solid worth ethic. I really like players who fit his mold. His brother was criticized for being undersized. So were successful pass rushers as Woodley and Dumberville. Plus he defiantly has NFL genes if that means anything.

Right now he's slotted to be a late first to mid second selection. Not a bad pick up at all for our 2nd IMO.
Share 49ersWebzone