There are 223 users in the forums

My Updated Mock (With Trade)

Cleveland Trades Down, and we pass on a quarterback (I may change that after the combine). I have us taking Marcell Dareus over Amukamura, which could be controversial on this board.

1. Carolina (2-14) - WR AJ Green, Georgia. There are stil a lot of questions to be answered about Carolina's draft strategy, since they don't even havea new coach yet. But AJ Green is the surest thing at #1. Da'Quan Bowers may be the most talented player at the top of the draft, but there are times when he doesn't show up at all. Nick Fairley is a one-year wonder so far. But AJ Green is the best WR prospect to come out at least since Calvin Johnson -- he immediately makes Jimmy Clausen a lot, lot better. A trade-down would make a lot of sense for Carolina since they don't have a second-round pick.

2. Denver (4-12) - CB Patrick Peterson, LSU. The secondary is the biggest hole on the Broncos by far. Statistically, an argument could be made to improve the pass-rush, but Elvis Dumervil missed the entire season and will be back in '11.

3. Buffalo (4-12) - DL Nick Fairley, Auburn - The Bills are getting better, but they need upgrades on the offensive and defensive lines. Fairley can play almost anywhere on the D-Line, so he is a great fit...Buffalo gave up almost 5 yards a carry in 2010, terrible. QB coult be an option, but Gailey has one more year up there, and if he fails to get them to 7 or 8 wins next year he will be fired and a new regime will br brought in. If Fitzpatrick's development stalls, Buffalo will be picking in the Top 5 next year and will have a chance at Andrew Luck, Landry Jones, Matt Barkley, or Nick Foles.

4. Cincinnati (4-12) - Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson. Very poor pass-rush in Cincinatti, and with Marv Lewis returning for 2011, so is Carson Palmer. Again, if they fail in 2011, they will be looking QB in 2012 with a new regime and new coach.

5. Arizona (5-11) - DE Robert Quinn, UNC. Big upgrade at pass-rusher for Arizona. All the talk is that AZ is going to go with a veteran quarterback via free agency -- they are not in rebuilding mode. High trade-down possibility here.

6. **Trade** Minnesota send a second round pick to Cleveland to move up six spots - QB Blaine Gabbert, Mizzou, Minnesota pulls the trigger to move into Cleveland's spot and get their quarterback of the future. Good fit in Minnesota.

7. San Francisco (6-10) - DL Marcell Dareus, Alabama. I had this pick as Jake Locker last week, but I feel its best to keep the pick as either Marcel Dareus or Prince Amukamura until Locker has his pro day/combine. Dareus can play anywhere on the defensive line, can play 2-gap, amazing 5-technique, gets penetration very well, and he is one of the most athletic defensive linemen to come out in quite some time...he can even drop into coverage to cover a Tight End! I have us taking Dareus over Amukamura because you CANNOT find a 5-Technique guy like Dareus with his special level of Athleticism elsewhere in the draft. You can find a Jimmy Smith or someone like that in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Also remember that the Patriots (and by extension the Chiefs with Pioli) put more value on 3-4 defensive linemen than any other franchise...with results.
[ Edited by nickbradley on Jan 14, 2011 at 8:04 AM ]
I agree with your assessment of Dareus over Prince. He could be there at 7.
Originally posted by ishkabibel:

Most mocks I've seen have Dareus going in the top 3/4. Don't see him falling to 7 unless there is a run on a position similar to the OT run a couple years ago.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Most mocks I've seen have Dareus going in the top 3/4. Don't see him falling to 7 unless there is a run on a position similar to the OT run a couple years ago.

Actually, every mock out there has him or Amukamura falling to at least #7. If a quarterback goes in the Top 7, both he and Amukamura are available at #7 in every recent mock I've seen.

Its a lock that at least one of those two are there at #7, unless something crazy happens -- like Robert Quinn or Da'Quan Bowers falling. Highly, highly unlikely.
Denver does have a coach...Fox won't draft a cornerback #2 when they have such huge holes on the D-line.
Originally posted by PatrickWillis52:
Denver does have a coach...Fox won't draft a cornerback #2 when they have such huge holes on the D-line.

My pick for Denver did not change since last time, so I copy-pasted. I edited the original post.
denver is probably going to lose bailey and might be without perish cox.....peterson is that good so they might go for him at 2

i agree as well that we have a guaruntee to land a huge player at 7 and very well could be amukamara, dareus or quinn
Fairley may be a 1 year wonder but his dominance over the past year is impossible to overlook. I think he goes #1 to Carolina especially considering they just hired Rivera as their HC.

Carolina - Fairley
Denver - Peterson
Buffalo - Bowers
Cincy - Green
Arizona - Quinn (Gabbert a strong possibility)
Clev - Dareus
SF - Gabbert (Quinn or Prince in the mix)
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Fairley may be a 1 year wonder but his dominance over the past year is impossible to overlook. I think he goes #1 to Carolina especially considering they just hired Rivera as their HC.

Carolina - Fairley
Denver - Peterson
Buffalo - Bowers
Cincy - Green
Clev - Dareus

But wouldn't a defensive coach think that he can 'coach up' his defensive players...and take an offensive player instead?

Originally posted by nickbradley:

Carolina - Fairley
Denver - Peterson
Buffalo - Bowers
Cincy - Green
Clev - Dareus

But wouldn't a defensive coach think that he can 'coach up' his defensive players...and take an offensive player instead?

Possibly but I also think that Rivera will be very involved in the defensive side of the ball and will want a stud in the middle of his line. The Panthers do have a need at WR without a doubt but in the end I think this years Ndamukong Suh will get the nod.

Carolina - Fairley
Denver - Peterson
Buffalo - Bowers
Cincy - Green
Clev - Dareus

Possibly but I also think that Rivera will be very involved in the defensive side of the ball and will want a stud in the middle of his line. The Panthers do have a need at WR without a doubt but in the end I think this years Ndamukong Suh will get the nod.

Yes, but AJ Green is probably the safest pick in the draft. You want to get off on the right foot.
I think Dareus is a safe pick, and will probably end up being a good player...but is he an impact-type of player? Selecting Dareus reminds me of the Balmer pick over a guy like DeSean Jackson. Though Dareus is clearly a better prospect than Balmer was, it just seems too safe and Nolan/McCloughan/Singletary-like.

Not saying it's a bad pick, but I really don't think we'll go that route. If we go defense that early, my bet is that we either go CB or pass rusher (positions we've neglected early in the draft for far too long).
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Actually, every mock out there has him or Amukamura falling to at least #7. If a quarterback goes in the Top 7, both he and Amukamura are available at #7 in every recent mock I've seen.

The only mock I've seen that has Dareus falling as far a #7 is the Draft Countdown, but they also still have Luck going 1st. Sporting news doesn't have him going in the first round but that seems a bit off. The mocks I just checked are CBS 2nd, NewNFL 5th, WalterFootball 6th, and SI 4th. Just did a google and picked the first page for a quick check. I would not complain with either Dareus or Amukamura (or Peterson).
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jan 14, 2011 at 4:48 PM ]
Cleveland Trades Down, and we pass on a quarterback (I may change that after the combine). I have us taking Marcell Dareus over Amukamura, which could be controversial on this board.

1. Carolina (2-14) - WR AJ Green, Georgia. There are stil a lot of questions to be answered about Carolina's draft strategy, since they don't even havea new coach yet. But AJ Green is the surest thing at #1. Da'Quan Bowers may be the most talented player at the top of the draft, but there are times when he doesn't show up at all. Nick Fairley is a one-year wonder so far. But AJ Green is the best WR prospect to come out at least since Calvin Johnson -- he immediately makes Jimmy Clausen a lot, lot better. A trade-down would make a lot of sense for Carolina since they don't have a second-round pick.

2. Denver (4-12) - CB Patrick Peterson, LSU. The secondary is the biggest hole on the Broncos by far. Statistically, an argument could be made to improve the pass-rush, but Elvis Dumervil missed the entire season and will be back in '11.

3. Buffalo (4-12) - DL Nick Fairley, Auburn - The Bills are getting better, but they need upgrades on the offensive and defensive lines. Fairley can play almost anywhere on the D-Line, so he is a great fit...Buffalo gave up almost 5 yards a carry in 2010, terrible. QB coult be an option, but Gailey has one more year up there, and if he fails to get them to 7 or 8 wins next year he will be fired and a new regime will br brought in. If Fitzpatrick's development stalls, Buffalo will be picking in the Top 5 next year and will have a chance at Andrew Luck, Landry Jones, Matt Barkley, or Nick Foles.

4. Cincinnati (4-12) - Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson. Very poor pass-rush in Cincinatti, and with Marv Lewis returning for 2011, so is Carson Palmer. Again, if they fail in 2011, they will be looking QB in 2012 with a new regime and new coach.

5. Arizona (5-11) - DE Robert Quinn, UNC. Big upgrade at pass-rusher for Arizona. All the talk is that AZ is going to go with a veteran quarterback via free agency -- they are not in rebuilding mode. High trade-down possibility here.

6. **Trade** Minnesota send a second round pick to Cleveland to move up six spots - QB Blaine Gabbert, Mizzou, Minnesota pulls the trigger to move into Cleveland's spot and get their quarterback of the future. Good fit in Minnesota.

7. San Francisco (6-10) - DL Marcell Dareus, Alabama. I had this pick as Jake Locker last week, but I feel its best to keep the pick as either Marcel Dareus or Prince Amukamura until Locker has his pro day/combine. Dareus can play anywhere on the defensive line, can play 2-gap, amazing 5-technique, gets penetration very well, and he is one of the most athletic defensive linemen to come out in quite some time...he can even drop into coverage to cover a Tight End! I have us taking Dareus over Amukamura because you CANNOT find a 5-Technique guy like Dareus with his special level of Athleticism elsewhere in the draft. You can find a Jimmy Smith or someone like that in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Also remember that the Patriots (and by extension the Chiefs with Pioli) put more value on 3-4 defensive linemen than any other franchise...with results.

Why would Minn do this when they have a young prospect who beat one of the hotest teams in the league at that time? I'm not following.
Share 49ersWebzone