There are 50 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

First 2011 Offseason Mock

Cut
Clements-Cannot Play, takes too many risks.
Carr- Cannot Play. Period.
Norris- See Carr, David
Walk
Dashon Goldson
Troy S.
Alex S.
D. Evans
B. Sims
P. Haralson
Jeff Reed
Resign
Westbrook- WC experience
Franklin- Decent Player, Premium Position. Unfortunatly will overpay
LaBoy- Pass rush needs help.
Takeo Spikes- Stop Gap for Bowman, who could be ready by next year.
McDonald- Decent Pass Rush, Good Speciel Teamer (Blocks K/P)
Wraggle- Depth
Lawson- I'd give him one more chance. (Plus, no one to replace him)
FA Sign
Matt Hasselbeck- WC experience. Good Stop Gap QB
Kamerion Wimbley- Extra Pass Rush
Davin Joseph- Solid OG, much better than Rachel
Jeremy Trueblood- O-Line Depth
Reggie Wells- O-Line Depth
Trades
6th Rounder to Bucs for Josh Johnson
Chilo Rachel to Seattle for 6th Rounder
Frank Gore and 5th Rounder to Washington for 2nd Rounder
Draft
1st) Prince Amukamara- CB
2nd) Pat Devlin- QB, QB for the future. Fits WC system. Smart and mobile.
2nd) Ryan Williams- RB, RB for the future. Dixon can be used on 3rd and Short.
3rd) Robert Sands- FS, Helps improve secondary. Replaces Dashon Goldson
4th) Thomas Keiser- OLB, Helps Pass Rush. Played at Stanford.
4th) Traded to WSH
5th) Austin Pettis- WR, Big Body Reciever. Lacks Straight Line Speed. Soft Hands. Possession Reciever.
6th) Owen Merecic- FB, Fullback for the future. Fits WC system. Played at Stanford
6th) Traded to TB
6th) Kai Forbath- K, Kicker of the future (though I would love to pick We Byrum next year)
7th) BPA
7th) BPA
Offense
QB Hasselbeck/Devlin/Josh Johnson
HB Williams/Westbrook/Dixon
FB Merecic
TE Vernon/Walker/Byham
WR Crabtree/Pettis/Morgan/Ginn
LT Staley/Trueblood
LG Iupati/Wells
C Heitmann/Wraggle
RG Joseph
RT Davis/Boone
Defence
LE Sopoaga/McDonald
NT Franklin/ RJF
RE Smith
LOLB Wimbley/Keiser
MLB Willis /McKillop
ILB Spikes/Bowman
ROLB Lawson/LaBoy
CB Amukamara/T.Brown
CB S.Spencer/
SS Mays/CJ Spillman
FS Sands/R. Smith
Special Teams
K Kai Forbath
P Andy Lee
This team is better than last year while still growing for the future. They could compete in the NFC West now that their schemes and plays will be at an appropriate level (Singeltary knew nothing of X’s and O’s).
Pat Devlin has what it takes to be a great QB in Jim Harbaugh’s WCO. He has great mobility and is a really smart QB with good accuracy. He could develop at a similar rate as Josh Freeman (Start halfway through rookie season, starter in sophomore season).
We also fix up our secondary by picking Prince Amukamara and Robert Sands while improving our Pass Rush with Keiser and Wimbley. While this is clearly a step up, we will continue to improve our D-Line in 2012.
Lastly, although it pains me to trade Gore, we get the best value for him while we can by trading him to the Redskins (30th in Rushing), as the Shanahan’s need help so that they don’t get fired. Assuming they draft a QB in Round 1, they will have the QB, RB O-Line and Defence.
This gives us a better (or comparable) team to last year’s Seahawks, and Jim Harbaugh will maximize the talent on our roster. Even without the Gore trade (which is the least likely thing to happen). The only difference without the Gore trade is we pick Kendall Hunter with the 4th rounder that we sent to Washington.
Originally posted by GoldenGateFan:
quoted.
This is actually one Chilo trade I can see happening. But no way does Shanahan give up a 2 for a RB. He can make a RB out of anyone and he needs picks badly. Hell Ryan Torain had a higher YPC than Gore this year, almost as many yards, and is 3 years younger. TB will want more than a 6 for Johnson too I believe. Hes an above average backup. And what in the hell is the use if you are also picking up Hasslebeck?
[ Edited by jojomellon on Jan 13, 2011 at 7:46 PM ]
i'm sorry, I just hate these mocks that have us taking Hasselbeck
Originally posted by teeohh:

and the ones that have us trading frank gore, not gonna happen
What's with people trading away Gore after he gets injured?

The guy is still one of the better backs in the game.

Can you explain why you hate it instead of just saying you hate it.

Personally, i think either Hesselbeck or Kyle Orton would be good Stop Gap QB's. Obviously Devlin would need time to develop, so if you have a better option for what vetran Harbaugh should use I would love to hear.
Originally posted by genus49:
What's with people trading away Gore after he gets injured?

The guy is still one of the better backs in the game.

He is, but he has carried one of the biggest workloads of any RB in the NFL during his tenure with the 9ers. This makes him older than his actual age as his milage and injury make him more comparable to a 29 or 30 year old.
I wanted us to get a real successor to Gore this past year (Dixon is not a full time back), but we have to find a replacment for him soon. The point is that his value is still somewhat comparable to what he provides. We should trade him now while we can still get something for him.

Personally, i think either Hesselbeck or Kyle Orton would be good Stop Gap QB's. Obviously Devlin would need time to develop, so if you have a better option for what vetran Harbaugh should use I would love to hear.

Because he's on the decline, and I just think he's done. He had his best game of the year this past Sunday, does that mean he should be a starter next year? I say no

I agree that Orton would be a good stop gap qb, but I have doubts whether Denver is going to trade him and throw Tebow out there next season after Elway's comments.

I'm personally on the trade for Orton, sign Dennis Dixon, draft Gabbert or Newton bandwagons. Hasselbeck to me is just like throwing Trent Dilfer out there and expecting us to win the division. Doesn't inspire confidence/optimism.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
I'd take Ahmad Black over Sands but not bad. I agree that you need to get Hasselbeck out of that mock. I doubt we would trade go to a divisional opponent even if McClueless is there.
This is a very well thought of mock draft dude.

I can sign off on this. Would love to have Nate back for less money and a FS change....

Trading Gore, I hate to say, is a wise move, and your logic is very spot on. He is one more injury away from us not getting anything in return for him. That Williams kid from VT is said to go in the 1st in some boards I have seen....so this can be a solid move if he is there, if not, I like Daniel Thomas out of Kansas St.
  • sfout
  • Veteran

Because he's on the decline, and I just think he's done. He had his best game of the year this past Sunday, does that mean he should be a starter next year? I say no

I agree that Orton would be a good stop gap qb, but I have doubts whether Denver is going to trade him and throw Tebow out there next season after Elway's comments.

I'm personally on the trade for Orton, sign Dennis Dixon, draft Gabbert or Newton bandwagons. Hasselbeck to me is just like throwing Trent Dilfer out there and expecting us to win the division. Doesn't inspire confidence/optimism.

Sorry for essentially double posting but damn someone else on the Sign Dennis Bandwagon!?" Woo! I don't have a problem with going after Dixon or Johnson because Harbaugh's reputation leads me to believe he could either make them into the best qb their abilities allow or he'd convert them to WR and we need help there no matter what anyone else thinks.

McNabb, Orton, Palmer, Kolb would be the order I would pursue QBs if we couldn't get Dixon or Johnson.

I have said it since the season ended that we will have 4 new QBs this spring and it could very well be these two scenarios:
1. FA/Trade:Orton/McNabb
2. FA/Trade: Dixon/Johnson
3. Rookie draft pick: Devlin/Dalton/Stanzi
4. UDFA
or
1. FA/Trade
2. Rookie pick
3. Rookie pick
4. UDFA

Based on our grievous need at the position it isn't so far fetched to see us bringing in 1 vet and going after 3 young guys. It would truly set us up for future success if Harbaugh could teach an entire depth chart's worth of QBs with a QB of his blessing.

EDIT: Another QB I would love to see the 9ers trade for is Tony Pike. Carolina really confused me by drafting two developmental QBs last year and I bet we could pry Tony Pike out of their hands if we gave them a decent deal(i.e. a 7th rounder from next year). His height/weight and decent mobility and ability to play through pain really impressed me in college.
[ Edited by sfout on Jan 13, 2011 at 9:09 PM ]
The panthers chose to sign a qb off the street, not even in the league, over playing tony pike. That doesn't impress me, at all. He just had 1 good year in brian kelly's gimmicky spread. When you lose snaps to brian st pierre, you probably can't play in the nfl.

I agree that Orton is a much better fit, I am just not sure we could land him. However I do disagree with you on the "draft Gabbert or Newton". I'm meh on Newton, but I seriosly don't understand why everyone is so high on Gabbert. He is not accurate, overweight, and just seems like he lacks.... the drive to win. I think Pat Devlin is the right QB to fit in Harbaugh's system. He is intelligent, mobile, and accurate, and it would only cost us a 2nd rounder.
Really interesting and good post. Very hard to read w/out Bold Headings.
washington doesnt have a 3rd or 4th so giving up a second probably wouldnt happen
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home