LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 336 users in the forums

Lets not reach for a qb in this draft

Originally posted by highway49:
Let's not reach for anybody this draft. Baalke seemed to apease Mr.Sing via using our 2 first rounders on the O-Line. I really wonder if he,[Baalke] left to his own vision, would have givin up that 4th rounder to move up from 13th to 10th,in order to get OT Davis...? It should be interesting to see how the new staff & FO do their draft.

so? whatever he does in this draft people will say it's to "appease" harbaugh
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by submoa:
One guy that interests me is Andy Dalton of TCU. Not sure where he grades out, I am making a wild guess at 3rd/4th round. I have not seen much of him, but he has intangibles like leadership and making plays with his feet. The only question I have is about him is he has the accuracy and decision making skills needed.

Dalton is actually sitting squared on a 3rd round grade, with a chance to move into the 2nd with a damn good combine.
So if Harbaugh sets his heart on Dalton we could end up using our 2nd pick on Dalton or needing to some trading to stack up some middle round picks.
[ Edited by sfout on Jan 15, 2011 at 8:19 AM ]
I would be jacked up if we got either Dalton, Devlin, or Stanzi in that order.
If 49ers don't trade for a vet qb. You can bet that harbaugh is going to want to use 7th pick to get a qb he can groom n develop a relationship with like he had with luck maybe trying to trade up
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I don't see how next years QB's are any better than this year other than Luck. And he too can fall. He can get injured. He doesn't have Harbaugh anymore. There might be slight changes in the system. Some personnel will be different. It will be hard even for Luck to duplicate that year for a variety of reasons. Look at Jake Locker. He was all world Super Man last year. #1 pick for sure. He fell. It can happen to Luck too.

I see no definitive reason 2012 is a better QB year than now. We have a huge QB need. We can't keep waiting forever. We can do this year after year. And keep saying next year. But at some point we need one and we need to coach him up. I think Harbaugh can do that. As long as the player is Harbaugh approved and he coaches the guy up I will be fine with it.

Hold on now. Locker was a top prospect, but when was he ever all-world superman?

I do agree we need to draft a QB this year and the chances of getting a guy outside of the first round are very slim. If there is a guy they see in the first round, I'm sure he is worth it, but like most people in this thread, I just don't see it. And there are better, more NFL ready players that will be available at #7, that also fill a need. We will probably have a choice between Prince Amukamara, Marcel Dareus, or Robert Quinn, which isn't bad.

Also, if it's worth anything, I don't think Andrew Luck was even in the top 5 as far as high school QBs coming out in 2008, but Jim Harbaugh turned him into the consensus number 1 pick, so if anyone could break the trend and develop a QB outside of the first round, it would be Harbaugh.

In short, no need to reach. Wait till later to get our QB .
Even though smith was the number 1 pick he was still not as polished as Rodgers was. I don't know what the gm and Nolan were thinking. When I saw Rodgers he reminded me of Dan Marino with a bit more mobility. Smith is more mobile but without the same accuracy. But since he was very smart I think that was the difference taking him over Rodgers. Wow we got Albert Einstein as our qb.
Worth noting that all 4 remaining QBs in the Playoffs were 1st round picks:

CHI - Cutler (1st)
GB - Rodgers (1st)
PIT - Roethlisberger (1st)
NYJ - Sanchez (1st)

Coincidence?
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

CHI - Cutler (1st)
GB - Rodgers (1st)
NYJ - Sanchez (1st)

Coincidence?

Not necessarily, but all four teams ranked in the top 10 in total defense. That is probably more of a reason why all 4 are still standing...
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

CHI - Cutler (1st)
GB - Rodgers (1st)
NYJ - Sanchez (1st)

Coincidence?

Not necessarily, but all four teams ranked in the top 10 in total defense. That is probably more of a reason why all 4 are still standing...

It's combination of things. Quality QB+great defense will win you a lot of games and almost always give you a chance to win it all (with a few breaks here and there). Our goal over the next few years should be just that:

1.) Acquire/develop a great QB
2.) Create a great defense

Everything else usually falls into place after that.
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Originally posted by highway49:
Let's not reach for anybody this draft. Baalke seemed to apease Mr.Sing via using our 2 first rounders on the O-Line. I really wonder if he,[Baalke] left to his own vision, would have givin up that 4th rounder to move up from 13th to 10th,in order to get OT Davis...? It should be interesting to see how the new staff & FO do their draft.

so? whatever he does in this draft people will say it's to "appease" harbaugh

Not necessarily as to Mr. H.... I was refering to Sing and the small fact that Baalke was not the GM at that time. It's only a reach if that player selected do not pan out for that teams vision. and Mr. Sings vision IMO was rather narrow.

Share 49ersWebzone