The Pat Devlin Dromedary

Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Originally posted by mavfd9er:
Originally posted by highway49:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
DEVLIN in the 4th FTW!!!

Absolutely...But I think he'll go by the mid-third.

I'd love to have Devlin. My favorite QB of this draft!!!

Why? Please educate me, I just don't know much about him that makes him worth drafting.

Well I'm not a NFL talent evaluator so take my opinion for what it is. But from his tape he shows nice accuracy, velocity, and adequate arm strength. One of the things I like about him the most is his quick over the top release. He won't kill anyone with his legs but he is mobile enough. By all accounts he appears to be a smart kid with a good attitude and solid leadership skills. A lot of people try to compare him to Flacco because they went to the same school. I don't agree with that comparison. To be honest his natural style of play reminds me much more of Tom Brady.

On another note I'd like to make clear I see him as a project. He will not be ready to start day 1 and will have a lot to adjust to in terms of level of competition and a pro style offense. Time line for him to really contribute is 2-3yrs. When we use the term project players I try to look for guys with "potential" and the most "upside." With those respects in mind Pat Devlin grades out very well.

What tape? Where have you seen Delaware tape? If you're talking about the highlights on YouTube, I'd have to caution by saying that everyone shows accuracy on highlight reels. If they don't complete a pass it doesn't make it on the "tape."

Since noone here has really watched a ton of him (Delaware games aren't exactly televised) I go off of what I hear from scouts around the internet, and from everything I hear, there's very little to like about him, and he's not going to be drafted.

Your point is well served regarding youtube highlight tapes. But since I am not a talent scout and do not have access to full game tapes I like to look at season statistics in conjunction with highlight vids to measure overall production. By all accounts I consider Devlin "draftable" and personally would give him a 3-4 round grade. Because of the talent in this draft I could see him fall to the 5th or 6th. If he goes undrafted as you predict he could very well be the steal of this draft.

2010:

CMP: 261 ATT: 384 YRDS: 3032 YPA: 7.9 TD: 22 INT: 3
[ Edited by mavfd9er on Mar 7, 2011 at 10:43 PM ]
DEVLIN in the 4th FTW!!!

Why? Please educate me, I just don't know much about him that makes him worth drafting.

Well I'm not a NFL talent evaluator so take my opinion for what it is. But from his tape he shows nice accuracy, velocity, and adequate arm strength. One of the things I like about him the most is his quick over the top release. He won't kill anyone with his legs but he is mobile enough. By all accounts he appears to be a smart kid with a good attitude and solid leadership skills. A lot of people try to compare him to Flacco because they went to the same school. I don't agree with that comparison. To be honest his natural style of play reminds me much more of Tom Brady.

On another note I'd like to make clear I see him as a project. He will not be ready to start day 1 and will have a lot to adjust to in terms of level of competition and a pro style offense. Time line for him to really contribute is 2-3yrs. When we use the term project players I try to look for guys with "potential" and the most "upside." With those respects in mind Pat Devlin grades out very well.

What tape? Where have you seen Delaware tape? If you're talking about the highlights on YouTube, I'd have to caution by saying that everyone shows accuracy on highlight reels. If they don't complete a pass it doesn't make it on the "tape."

Since noone here has really watched a ton of him (Delaware games aren't exactly televised) I go off of what I hear from scouts around the internet, and from everything I hear, there's very little to like about him, and he's not going to be drafted.

Your point is well served regarding youtube highlight tapes. But since I am not a talent scout and do not have access to full game tapes I like to look at season statistics in conjunction with highlight vids to measure overall production. By all accounts I consider Devlin "draftable" and personally would give him a 3-4 round grade. Because of the talent in this draft I could see him fall to the 5th or 6th. If he goes undrafted as you predict he could very well be the steal of this draft.

2010:

He played against the worst competition of just about every QB in the draft. Good stats are overblown due to this.
DEVLIN in the 4th FTW!!!

2010:

He played against the worst competition of just about every QB in the draft. Good stats are overblown due to this.

Talent is talent. So your saying you should only draft a QB that's played in a major college football conference? That kind of thinking counts you out of the hunt for some potentially very good football players.
DEVLIN in the 4th FTW!!!

2010:

Talent is talent. So your saying you should only draft a QB that's played in a major college football conference? That kind of thinking counts you out of the hunt for some potentially very good football players.

No, I'm saying that stats are not a good criteria to go on when the guy plays in a weak conference. Obviously bad stats are a red flag, but putting up huge numbers against terrible competition is a minimum. There has to be something else there. Against slightly better competition--at the East West Shrine game--he apparently looked terrible. Now I obviously didn't see the practices, but the reports are very consistent.
DEVLIN in the 4th FTW!!!

2010:

No, I'm saying that stats are not a good criteria to go on when the guy plays in a weak conference. Obviously bad stats are a red flag, but putting up huge numbers against terrible competition is a minimum. There has to be something else there. Against slightly better competition--at the East West Shrine game--he apparently looked terrible. Now I obviously didn't see the practices, but the reports are very consistent.

The reports I saw from the east-west shrine game said that he struggled when dropping back from center. This is a project QB that should be available in the mid-late rounds. If all the pieces were put together then he'd be a first round talent.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
I still like this kid. Maybe we take him in the 3rd?
Well, that did not work out well!
lol
We will certainly be signing a QB when teams are allowed to sign undrafted rookies.

When we do, I hope it's either Devlin or Froman.
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
We will certainly be signing a QB when teams are allowed to sign undrafted rookies.

Did Delvin not get drafted? I was sure he would..I didn't watch the end...

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by simplyfloyd:

nope, he was not drafted.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by simplyfloyd:

nope, he was not drafted.

His pro day was the worst in all of the QB class (it was f**king terrible). It was like Nate Davis' pro day, except more than one team actually showed up to see how bad he actually was.
AdamSchefter

Delaware QB Pat Devlin was targeted as No. 1 selection in UFL Draft, but was required to sign a contract prior to draft. He chose not to.
Originally posted by iLL49er:

devlin is gonna sky rocket up the boards, sure he might not get to 1st rd status but i won't be surprised if he does

Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by iLL49er:

devlin is gonna sky rocket up the boards, sure he might not get to 1st rd status but i won't be surprised if he does

1st round, UFL draft.

[ Edited by English on May 9, 2011 at 07:26:32 ]
Share 49ersWebzone