The Pat Devlin Dromedary

Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by modninerfan:
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by statman:
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:

Nobody else is a Devlin fan?

You have to sell the guy with stats, clips and reasons we should like the guy instead of pictures of war camels.

Done.

I want more camel.

done

Gotta make sure you get a pretty one.

Sign me up.

Well that makes 2 of us.
Originally posted by GEEK:
I want more camel.

1. I like how he is able to fit the ball into tight spaces, very accurate
2. He reminds me of Tom Brady in that he doesn't throw too many passes that are high, leading to less INTs
3. He can move a little bit
4. He actually can read a defense, sure it's from the shotgun but he has 5 WRs out there a lot and he gets the ball out fast
5. I saw a back shoulder throw or 2 in there, he can make a lot of the tough throws it appears. He can throw it to where only the reciever can get it.
[ Edited by WillistheWall on Jan 15, 2011 at 2:10 AM ]
Don't know about the physical tools, and the style of Offense was pure shotgun, but Devlin is the best QB I've seen at staying in the pocket and scanning the field. He reads defenses and doesn't stare down his primary at all; he goes through his reads quickly, he's the best I've seen at that aspect in this draft so far.

Gabbert, Devlin, Stanzi, and even Moore, these are the guys I bet Harbaugh is looking at right now. Locker, Newton, Mallett are all hype, and Newton/Mallett seem to be too low on the intelligence scale for Harbaugh, especially Newton.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
[ Edited by mayo49 on Jan 20, 2011 at 9:07 AM ]
lovin the accuracy but not sure about the arm strength

however the QB in the WCO doesn't need great arm strength..

i say...draft the guy!
I like the kid but I like Stanzi better. I would not be upset at all if we picked Devlin though.

CMP % | YDS | TD | INT
64.0 | 2,664 | 16 | 9

CMP % | YDS | TD | INT
68.0 | 3,032 | 22 | 2

His stats are great, but it's how he plays that makes him so good.

Strengths
- Solid accuracy
- Anticipates holes well and leads his man to the ball on crossing routes, seam throws and deep balls.
- Excellent touch, accuracy and trajectory on fade routes
- Deep ball has nice trajectory and does not float.
- Over-the-top delivery with a quick release, flashing the ability to drive balls downfield and snap off passes when an underneath route is wide open.
- Sets his feet when throwing, can unload quickly and accurately when flat-footed or off-balance to hit hot routes.
- Keeps his eyes downfield when escaping the pocket to the outside.

Weaknesses
- Only adequate arm strength
- Played FCS competition
- Usually in the shotgun for pass plays, but has some experience under center

I think his strengths fit perfectly with what is needed for a WCO QB.

It's not too late to get on board! Hop on the dromedary, as Devlin leads us to the Super Bowl oasis!

Here's the Draft Gameplan:

1 - DB
2 - Devlin
3 - DB

So climb aboard!

Im ONBOARD!!!!!! HE has a really quick release and he fires it !!! i like that there is no hesitation I like this PICK ALOT espically in 2nd or 3rd round i feel the top QBS are way over rated!!! This kid has a good name to DEVLIN thats the name of a winner. ALso the small school thing is BS when at penn state he Beat number one OHIO STATE that year! I like that he went to a more pass happy school to showcase his talents....I like his short and intermedate throws could be a good WCO QB and see a 49er star!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Quote:
Devlin aiming to follow Flacco from Delaware to NFL
By Bucky Brooks NFL.com

The college all-star game circuit provides small-school prospects with opportunities to display their talents on a big stage. Their performances in these games are critical in their overall evaluations because scouts finally get to see these standouts compete on the same playing field with major-college stars.

While some of these small-college players started their respective careers at Division I schools, they must still overcome the stigma of piling up gaudy production against lesser competition.

In this year's East-West Shrine Game (Saturday on NFL Network), Pat Devlin is vying to be the next small-college standout to emerge as a franchise quarterback.

ยป NFL Network broadcast schedule As a star at Delaware, Devlin is following a similar path to his Blue Hen predecessor Joe Flacco. Both transferred from major colleges after failing to win the starting jobs at their respective schools (Flacco transferred to Delaware after losing the battle for the starting job to Tyler Palko at Pittsburgh, while Devlin left Penn State following his sophomore season after spending the year as Daryll Clark's backup), and guided Delaware to an appearance at the Football Championship Subdivision title game.

Devlin, who connected on 68 percent of his passes for 3,032 yards with 22 touchdowns and three interceptions, is regarded as a smart player with outstanding intangibles. He is an excellent decision maker who shows good poise and patience in the pocket. He gets the ball out of his hand quickly, and is fairly accurate. Although he doesn't possess a big arm, he compensates for this deficiency with good anticipation and touch.

In watching Devlin during his first workout, his poise and patience in the pocket stood out. He didn't appear rattled by rushers in close proximity, and repeatedly delivered the ball before the pocket collapsed. While most of his throws hit his receivers in stride, he had problems connecting on the deep outside routes, which require exceptional arm strength and velocity. Over the next few days, he must start to connect on those throws or scouts will view his arm strength as a liability that could hinder his ability to thrive on the next level.

The physical part of Devlin's game undoubtedly will be picked apart by scouts closely watching every attempt in individual and team drills, but evaluators will also pick the brains of the East's coaching staff to assess his ability to learn and retain a pro-like playbook. This will play a huge part in his evaluation as scouts attempt to determine whether he has potential to take information from the board to the field with minimal repetitions. With backups often receiving few opportunities during the practice week, this skill is essential for all quarterbacks set to enter the league.

Devlin left the big stage to become a star on the small-school level, but a solid week at the East-West Shrine Game could make him the next unheralded passer to emerge as a potential franchise quarterback candidate.
East-West Shrine Tuesday practice report . . . .

Quote:
Delaware quarterback Pat Devlin garnered preseason attention for both his talent and the natural comparison to former Blue Hen and current Ravens' Pro Bowl starter Joe Flacco. He was easily the most impressive passer Tuesday. His footwork and posture in the pocket was solid and he consistently delivered tight spirals. He was generally accurate, throwing a bit ahead of or behind his target, which is largely expected in an all-star setting, as quarterbacks and receivers lack timing based on unfamiliarity. Fellow signal-callers Tyrod Taylor (Virginia Tech) and Ricky Dobbs (Navy) had nondescript performances, generally connecting on short throws but failing to make any exceptional throws.

Devlin, the former Penn State quarterback, had one throw he wanted to have back. After surveying the field for a deep option, he checked down to a back in the flat -- but failed to account for Oklahoma safety Jonathan Nelson, who stepped in front of teammate and cornerback Justin Rogers to pick off the pass.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/14568368/nc-dt-austin-delaware-qb-devlin-shine-at-shrine-practice

2nd round is way too early, if he is there in the 4th that would be awesome
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

No way, latest 3rd.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

No way, latest 3rd.

Whichever quarterback Harbaugh wants, we better get him. If that means we have to reach early, like Flacco, then so be it.
All I'm going to say is I'm drinking the "Devlin in red and gold" Kool-Aid, but NO WAY in round one. Round two is a stretch, so let's hope round 3
[ Edited by Ibleedgoldnred on Jan 23, 2011 at 10:17 PM ]
I'm on board!
Share 49ersWebzone