There are 231 users in the forums

Realistic Scenario?

Draft:

Round 1: Prince Amukamara OR Patrick Peterson

Round 2: Jake Locker

(P.S. Nnamdi Asumough and a FA QB in FA).

Maybe a OLB/WR or Safety in Round 3

what do you guys think?
I think Jake Locker's stock actually rose tonight with Cam's not so spectacular performance. Locker may be long gone by the time our 2nd round pick comes around
I still think Locker goes in the mid to late first round.

We might possibly try to trade up if he falls past 22 or so.
Originally posted by asu49ers:
I think Jake Locker's stock actually rose tonight with Cam's not so spectacular performance. Locker may be long gone by the time our 2nd round pick comes around

I don't think so.

Newton didn't play bad.
He had that fumble. But that was more of a good play by Casey Matthews.

He missed a wide open receiver for a TD but I think he has excellent accuracy for short - mid range throws. And excellent poise and calmness in the pocket.

He is still raw but I think he could be a pretty good NFL qb.

I think with some coaching locker could be pretty good.
I think we have a chance in the 2nd round to get him.
Originally posted by ElDannMann:

But with Blaine Gabbert being rated the #1 QB

Mallet and Newton 2 and 3.

That leaves Locker as the 4th rated QB in the draft. I doubt all 4 are 1st round prospects.
Originally posted by ninerbrand:

That leaves Locker as the 4th rated QB in the draft. I doubt all 4 are 1st round prospects.

That's true. But that doesn't mean all teams rate Locker as the #4.

Also, not saying we will trade up, just saying it could be a possibility. I'd rather stand pat with our position in the second round, but wouldn't surprise me if we tried to jump up for Locker if he's still available.

Also, not saying we will trade up, just saying it could be a possibility. I'd rather stand pat with our position in the second round, but wouldn't surprise me if we tried to jump up for Locker if he's still available.

yeah i wouldn't trade up. i just took a look @ the big board on espn. Mallet is rated 88 @ #4, newton 89 @ #3, and locker 92 @ #2 in the QB rankings.

and gabbert #1.

so maybe he wont fall who knows.

a good what if scenario to say the least.

I don't think so.

Newton didn't play bad.

He missed a wide open receiver for a TD but I think he has excellent accuracy for short - mid range throws. And excellent poise and calmness in the pocket.

I agree with Newton. He just needs a lot of work. The intangibles and on the field leadership are off the charts. He raises the level of the team. The ability is there. It's all on how much work he is willing to put in to make himself an NFL QB.

I think all 4 of them will go in the first round. Too many teams need a QB. And while Locker could be the last of the 4 taken, the allure of getting a guy that could have gone number 1 a year ago will help him go in the first 32 picks.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Will harbaugh want locker though? He did pick him apart when he played him...I suppose that does mean he knows his upside as well as his flaws though.

Newton just did not looked that great tonight. I saw him miss a couple open guys when Oregon brought the blitz. His footwork looked atrocious. Im not saying he is going to be bad in the pros but I just think Locker will go ahead of him.

You guys need to realize, if a CBA does not get worked out before the draft, then there will be no free agency. Thus, teams will not be able to sign any QBs until after the draft (when CBA is worked out). This will make QBs much more of need to some teams.

yeah i wouldn't trade up. i just took a look @ the big board on espn. Mallet is rated 88 @ #4, newton 89 @ #3, and locker 92 @ #2 in the QB rankings.

and gabbert #1.

so maybe he wont fall who knows.

a good what if scenario to say the least.

True. I wouldn't be that bummed if we missed him somehow either. I still like Stanzi later on too.
i have to admit that i've never seen gabbert play so i have to ask:
what did he at the bowl such that everyone is fall in love with him??? he won (edit: no, he even lost it...)? wow, locker and newton won either...
[ Edited by communist on Jan 10, 2011 at 11:40 PM ]
Newton just did not looked that great tonight. I saw him miss a couple open guys when Oregon brought the blitz. His footwork looked atrocious. Im not saying he is going to be bad in the pros but I just think Locker will go ahead of him.

You guys need to realize, if a CBA does not get worked out before the draft, then there will be no free agency. Thus, teams will not be able to sign any QBs until after the draft (when CBA is worked out). This will make QBs much more of need to some teams.

Seriously. We'll have to draft TWO QBs just be able to run practices.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

I don't think so.

Newton didn't play bad.

I agree with Newton. He just needs a lot of work. The intangibles and on the field leadership are off the charts. He raises the level of the team. The ability is there. It's all on how much work he is willing to put in to make himself an NFL QB.

But isn't the plan for our rookie QB to sit a year or two behind the vet to learn the position under harbaugh's tutelage?
Share 49ersWebzone