LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 228 users in the forums

TCU's QB Andy Dalton

Originally posted by Bay_Area_Fan:
MB reports that Andy Dalton has the most swagger out of the Senior Bowl QBs.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/01/how-the-senior.html

HEY-O!
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Kiper and McShay have him ranked as the 5th best Qb, a 2nd/3rd round starter in the NFL on their Draft Lab feature.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6120666

Thanks for the post. Interesting that both have Gabbert at the top of the board, and McShay still holds that Locker is the second best. I have a feeling Kaepernick is going to be on both their boards the next posting. Neither had him in their top five.

Both really like Dalton, and see him as a starter in this league.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Just wanted to post my own review of Dalton. After mulling over the QB crop, I've determined that the 9ers will go after either Gabbet or Dalton. Why? Harbaugh recruited Gabbert out of high school, Luck was actually plan B and Dalton fits nearly all of the "Harbugh criteria" to the tee.
1. Competitive nature/toughness
2. Athleticism
3. Accuracy
4. Quick-minded; makes quick decisions
5. Leadership ability

Competitive/Toughness: Teammates and coaches described him as a guy who never quits. Durability only seemed to increase as he played more, but he suffered a minor concussion at the senior bowl when an overzealous Jeremy Beal went offsides and blindsided him.

Athleticism: Has great bulk for his height. 6-2 213 at the senior bowl, no reason we can't bulk him up to the 220 range. Footwork is more of a postive then a negative even coming from a spread attack. He can clearly run, YPA increased every year up to a 5.1 average on 86 attempts for 435 yards. Projected to run the 40 in the 4.7 range, I'm very interested to see what drills he performs at the combine and TCU's pro day.

Accuracy: Off balance throws are the only knock I could find on him in this depart, but even when throwing on the run he earned good marks when he was able to drive off his back foot. Also depending on his height and his o-lines height the 3/4 release could end up being an issue but from a developmental stand point this shouldn't be too big of an issue. From a completion percentage standpoint he improved each year from 59% as a freshmen to 66% as a senior. The TD-INT ratio is mind boggling considering he comes from a spread offense that is a feast or famine type of scheme when it comes to turnover ratio. Clearly takes care of the ball.

Quick thinking: Being in a spread offense you inherently need to think quickly and throw to your first or 2nd read. This could be his biggest issue of learning how to read nfl defenses and go through his progressions but he has good placement on his throws when he knows where his receiver will be or if he needs to avoid coverage. He threw an eye popping 71 TD to 30 INTs and seems to be in his comfort zone in the between the 40's on the field. The spread offense seems to have an opposite effect on him as it did to Smith(Smith is one of the best redzone QBs I've seen. Even if he can be a tool in for rest of the game). Dalton's numbers actually dip the closer they get to the goal line. Also his sack numbers dropped every year: 16 as a freshmen, 14 sophomore , 12, junior, 8 senior. Which might indicate improved o-line but also he clearly learned to get rid of the ball quicker or when to cut bait and run for some positive yards.

Leadership: I think this is his most underrated quality, once again coming from a non-AQ conference hurts a QB. He has lost a total of 3 games as starter, he wins games period. By all accounts he commands the huddle and teammates feed off of his energy.

Summary: I'm sure you could put Christian Ponder or Ricky Stanzi in a favorable light as well but Dalton just jumps off the page as a competent, in command leader that could take charge of our team. He is a proven winner that for a lack of a better term knows how to manage any situation in a game and get the job done. I'm from Utah and I've watched him dismantle the MWC over the last few years. So out of any QB in the draft, Dalton is the one I've seen the most so I might be a little bias but I also feel like I have seen enough of him to get a good idea of what Harbaugh/Chryst could do with him.

Dalton gets my vote for 9er QB of the future.
[ Edited by sfout on Feb 24, 2011 at 12:35 AM ]
Originally posted by sfout:
...Harbaugh recruited Gabbert out of high school...

Interesting. Do you have a source for that I could check out? Thanks.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ghostrider:

I got a feeling Harbaugh has a hard on for Gabbert.
Just wanted to post my own review of Dalton. After mulling over the QB crop, I've determined that the 9ers will go after either Gabbet or Dalton. Why? Harbaugh recruited Gabbert out of high school, Luck was actually plan B and Dalton fits nearly all of the "Harbugh criteria" to the tee.
1. Competitive nature/toughness
2. Athleticism
3. Accuracy
4. Quick-minded; makes quick decisions
5. Leadership ability

Competitive/Toughness: Teammates and coaches described him as a guy who never quits. Durability only seemed to increase as he played more, but he suffered a minor concussion at the senior bowl when an overzealous Jeremy Beal went offsides and blindsided him.

Athleticism: Has great bulk for his height. 6-2 213 at the senior bowl, no reason we can't bulk him up to the 220 range. Footwork is more of a postive then a negative even coming from a spread attack. He can clearly run, YPA increased every year up to a 5.1 average on 86 attempts for 435 yards. Projected to run the 40 in the 4.7 range, I'm very interested to see what drills he performs at the combine and TCU's pro day.

Accuracy: Off balance throws are the only knock I could find on him in this depart, but even when throwing on the run he earned good marks when he was able to drive off his back foot. Also depending on his height and his o-lines height the 3/4 release could end up being an issue but from a developmental stand point this shouldn't be too big of an issue. From a completion percentage standpoint he improved each year from 59% as a freshmen to 66% as a senior. The TD-INT ratio is mind boggling considering he comes from a spread offense that is a feast or famine type of scheme when it comes to turnover ratio. Clearly takes care of the ball.

Quick thinking: Being in a spread offense you inherently need to think quickly and throw to your first or 2nd read. This could be his biggest issue of learning how to read nfl defenses and go through his progressions but he has good placement on his throws when he knows where his receiver will be or if he needs to avoid coverage. He threw an eye popping 71 TD to 30 INTs and seems to be in his comfort zone in the between the 40's on the field. The spread offense seems to have an opposite effect on him as it did to Smith(Smith is one of the best redzone QBs I've seen. Even if he can be a tool in for rest of the game). Dalton's numbers actually dip the closer they get to the goal line. Also his sack numbers dropped every year: 16 as a freshmen, 14 sophomore , 12, junior, 8 senior. Which might indicate improved o-line but also he clearly learned to get rid of the ball quicker or when to cut bait and run for some positive yards.

Leadership: I think this is his most underrated quality, once again coming from a non-AQ conference hurts a QB. He has lost a total of 3 games as starter, he wins games period. By all accounts he commands the huddle and teammates feed off of his energy.

Summary: I'm sure you could put Christian Ponder or Ricky Stanzi in a favorable light as well but Dalton just jumps off the page as a competent, in command leader that could take charge of our team. He is a proven winner that for a lack of a better term knows how to manage any situation in a game and get the job done. I'm from Utah and I've watched him dismantle the MWC over the last few years. So out of any QB in the draft, Dalton is the one I've seen the most so I might be a little bias but I also feel like I have seen enough of him to get a good idea of what Harbaugh/Chryst could do with him.

Dalton gets my vote for 9er QB of the future.

Very good effort and post here, I liked. As of now, I'm pretty good with Ponder or Dalton with our 2nd/3rd round pick... Stanzi in the 3rd. All of this could be slightly affected by this weekend though.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Here's the source, it's on the second page.

www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20110223/SPORTS/110229818?Title=Cohn-Ex-scout-says-49ers-in-bit-of-a-pickle
[ Edited by mayo49 on Feb 24, 2011 at 8:52 AM ]

Here's the source.

OK so it's in today's Cohn article. That explains why I hadn't heard. I don't read Cohn.

It may be true but it's hard for me to take it seriously when he believes Harbaugh only watched Smith's positive plays.
My hope is for Pat Devlin/QB in round 3 or 4 and Justin Roper/QB with our last 7th round pick....IMO,They both seem like Good WCO QB prospect's.
This guy looks the most like a prototypical NFL QB to me. I wouldn't mind drafting him in the end of the 1st or with our 2nd if he's available.
[ Edited by Leathaface on Feb 24, 2011 at 10:33 AM ]

With the 7th Pick in the 2nd round the 49ers select Andy Dalton TCU!!!!! hELL yeah!!!
Originally posted by castrellon12:
With the 7th Pick in the 2nd round the 49ers select Andy Dalton TCU!!!!! hELL yeah!!!

Lol. He definetely didn't help him self out today. But I'm all for drafting 2 QBs in this draft. Maybe if Dalton slides he can be the QB after we pick Ponder or Kaep.

www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20110223/SPORTS/110229818?Title=Cohn-Ex-scout-says-49ers-in-bit-of-a-pickle

That's not a valid source. I've been waiting for someone to give an actual link to this "harbaugh recruited gabbert" story but nobody provides it.

Anyone? Please?
Originally posted by SWAGG-ER:

That's not a valid source. I've been waiting for someone to give an actual link to this "harbaugh recruited gabbert" story but nobody provides it.

Anyone? Please?

I'm going to guess that it didn't happen. If it did, we would have heard it about it by now.

-9fA
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Dalton is a great value 3rd rounder. Might take a year to adjust to the NFL, but he is more ready than a LOT of bigger-named guys.

He is one of my favorite players in this draft, from a value perspective, and I think the Niners should wait for a QB like Dalton later in the draft than take a risk in the first. Just too many solid positional players who could help our team a lot at number seven.

Looks like Harbaugh agrees with you.
Share 49ersWebzone