3) Newton
4) Ponder
5) Kaepernick
6) Locker
7) Devlin
8) Stanzi
9) Mallett
10) Enderle

Can I re-shuffle my board to put Newton on top? He has been phenomenal. However, Dalton has been really solid this year, as I projected, and Gabbert will get his first start on Sunday. All three guys will probably be the starters the rest of the year, barring injury.

The guys that I list from 4-10 have some work to do to make it as a starter. There might be a lot of buyer's remorse if CK (who I had as the 5th best QB in this draft) does not perform well down the road, but he will get a few years before any realistic evaluation can be made.

It just didn't make sense for me to sit in the second round, watching Dalton get picked by the Bengals. Everyone knew he was their target in that slot. Wouldn't have taken much to leapfrog them.
I just went back in the thread and found a post where I mentioned trying to trade down a bit for Amukamara and then back up to get Dalton. What could've been.

Rogers, Spencer, Amukamara, Brock ... vs ... Rogers, Brown, Spencer, Brock

Dalton > Kaepernick. Obviously much more ready. MD, our boards were similar, but this was my QB ranking:

1 Blaine Gabbert, Missouri *
2 Andy Dalton, TCU
3 Cam Newton, Auburn *
4 Jake Locker, Washington
5 Christian Ponder, FSU
6 Colin Kaepernick, Nevada
7 Ryan Mallet, Arkansas *
8 Ricky Stanzi, Iowa
9 Tyrod Taylor, Virginia Tech
10 Greg McElroy, Alabama
11 Pat Devlin, Delaware
12 Scott Tolzien, Wisconsin
13 T.J. Yates, North Carolina
14 Nathan Enderle, Idaho

I am disappointed that Jacksonville is pulling an "Alex Smith" with Gabbert. He is not ready.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Sep 21, 2011 at 1:25 PM ]
I don't remember how I ranked them. but I thought Dalton was the best QB.

And I thought Newton was gonna bust Instead he goes and throws for a billion yards in his first 2 starts. He still might not develop into the franchise QB, but at this point, he is certainly earning his #1 money.
I am disappointed that Jacksonville is pulling an "Alex Smith" with Gabbert. He is not ready.

I am not so sure about that. Alex Smith is a special kind of retard. Gabbert might turn out just fine.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I just went back in the thread and found a post where I mentioned trying to trade down a bit for Amukamara and then back up to get Dalton. What could've been.

Dalton > Kaepernick. Obviously much more ready. MD, our boards were similar, but this was my QB ranking:

2 Andy Dalton, TCU
3 Cam Newton, Auburn *
5 Christian Ponder, FSU
8 Ricky Stanzi, Iowa
10 Greg McElroy, Alabama
11 Pat Devlin, Delaware
14 Nathan Enderle, Idaho

Funny we were in agreement over the top three guys. Then, the shuffle below. If I had to redo it again, I might put Taylor in the 4th-7th slot. I graded him too low in the weeks before the draft, but wanted the team to select him in the latter rounds this year. We could have really used that second rounder this year. And, next year, there appears to be many fewer teams that will target an early round QB.

Maybe: Washington, Miami, Indi, Seattle, and maybe Denver, KC, and Oakland. The list does appear to be shrinking. The Niners could end up with a pick in the 10-15 slot and still have a shot at one of the big three guys. The most QB-starved teams at this point going into next year seem to be:
1) Seattle
2) Indi (If Peyton continues to be injured)
3) Miami
4) KC
5) Denver
6) Washington
7) Oakland
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

2 Andy Dalton, TCU
3 Cam Newton, Auburn *
5 Christian Ponder, FSU
8 Ricky Stanzi, Iowa
10 Greg McElroy, Alabama
11 Pat Devlin, Delaware
14 Nathan Enderle, Idaho

Dalton looked like a rookie against our defense at home. Our secondary has been destroyed by decent QB's. Maybe he's not so cool under pressure after all. I am curious to see how this shakes out over the next 3 years.
I'm still a big Dalton fan and think he can play in this league. Like any rookie, he will have his ups and downs. Against Denver he definitely showed he can play in this league.
Share 49ersWebzone