There are 179 users in the forums

Does implementing the WCO require us to draft a big WR?

Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by buhda:
Kyle Rudolph 2nd round

Don't think he will make it out of the first round.

where do you see him going? Most of the teams picking bottom 1st either have guys there already or have much bigger needs at other positions.
tony gonzales is as good as done with his career.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by buhda:
Kyle Rudolph 2nd round

Don't think he will make it out of the first round.

Probably not, considering the teams that will be needing a Tight End this year. Rudolph and D.J. Williams will duke it out for being the top TE taken. Rudolph may win out because of the size advantage.

Teams needing a TE that will draft at the end of the first, or in the 2nd before us are:

Atlanta - Gonzalez plans to retire either this season or next.
Carolina - Rosario, King, and Barnidge. Do you know any of these names? That's because they stink.
Denver - Their starter is Daniel Graham..
Buffalo - No legitimate TE whatsoever.
Arizona - Jim Dray, Ben Patrick, and Spach. Huge lack of talent there.
Cleveland - Since Kellen Winslow left, they've not found a replacement.

We already have big enough receivers for our WCO. What we need are fast, quick receivers that can get open underneath and get RAC yards. We need excellent route-runners.

We likely won't have a shot at him, but Blackmon fits that bill, as do Titus Young, Matt Szczur, Austin Pettis, Jerrel Jernigan, and Vincent Brown.

Carolina's Rosario is pretty good and I can't imagine them passing on WRs early.

Denver is absolutely desperate to find a TE. Graham dropped everything this season. I'd be surprised if still on the roster next season.

The Browns really need an outlet for McCoy. If they hire Shurmur though, I don't know if a TE becomes a priority for them.
Originally posted by strickac:

Carolina's Rosario is pretty good and I can't imagine them passing on WRs early.
i do b/c they already have young guys at WR, like gettis and lafell, they need at least one experienced WR...
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
Who was the large WR that we had in the 80s?

If you don't remember (or weren't born yet) we had Dwight Clark, Freddy Solomon and a few others that were probably just about 6-0'.

Then we moved on to Jerry Rice who I don't believe was anywhere approaching 6-5.

We did have tight ends. Russ Francis was probably the tallest.

We do have a TE who is 6-5 in Vernon Davis.

Oh, by the way I think I will leave this to Baalke and Harbraugh.

Do some people just put this out to increase their postings?

If you don't remember, Clark was about 6'4"

edit: nm...people beat me to it. Zeigler is 6' 3".

[ Edited by Jakemall on Jan 9, 2011 at 10:24:35 ]
Originally posted by Jakemall:

If you don't remember (or weren't born yet) we had Dwight Clark, Freddy Solomon and a few others that were probably just about 6-0'.

Then we moved on to Jerry Rice who I don't believe was anywhere approaching 6-5.

JJ Stokes is 6'4"!!!
Originally posted by communist:

i do b/c they already have young guys at WR, like gettis and lafell, they need at least one experienced WR...

Carolina doesn't have a 2nd round pick so it doesn't matter.
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by communist:

Carolina doesn't have a 2nd round pick so it doesn't matter.
i was talking about green at 1st ovr in particular...sorry for the misunderstanding.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Crabs to me is a WC WR. I just think we need an overall better WR group. VD is awesome when he is going deep in a straight line, but he doesn't look natural running routes. Morgan should be 3rd WR at best and Crabs talent is a #1WR, but due to the poor coaching and QB situation his production is compared to a #2 or #3 WR. Hopefully Harbaugh can correct a lot of this problem in Free Agency.
I like the receivers that we have. Crabtree was great with YAC in college and can be so in the NFL as well as long as we get a QB to hit him in stride. I'm still a believer in Kyle Williams and I think he will be good in the short to intermediate quick slants. I look for him to make big strides under the new regime. I think Zeigler will probably move into the 3rd position as he catches everything thrown his way.

I'm not sold on Morgan. I think he was kept as a starter because SingleBrainCell liked his blocking ability.

I think if Ginn can't prove his worth as a WR in the next training camp, I envision him being used solely as a returner.
I think what we need a Receivers coach that can teach our receivers how to run routes.

regardless of if we need one i would like a tall receiver. we do struggle around the goaline and someone to go up and get the ball other than vernon would be nice.

then again we struggled because of dinglebarry
I think we will see that we don't need WR's at all! The kid we drafed last year from Arizona is fast, and might do well with YAC, Ginn will is okay as a deep threat, and Morgan and Crabtree will be stars with a real QB and some real coaching.

I think our QB play made our WR look below average. I think our guys will look nice in a real offense.

Crabtree is still the man, now he will be in a better position to prove it.
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Originally posted by Jakemall:

JJ Stokes is 6'4"!!!

JJ was also a p***y! And a hang nail would keep him out of practice. I like blackmon the most out of the wr's i think he would fit us well! He would complement crabtree and morgan. Having the one thing neither of them have Speed, and hands! Look at the game against Prince, that guy only allowed a 24 completion %, Blackmon ate him alive, a nice jam at the line and still extended his body to a poorly throw ball! I live in oklahoma, i watch osu games a lot! Trust me baby T.O. with natural hands! He's 6'1 which is fine it's all about separation. Only thing size does is let you jump ball it. Which you shouldn't have to do with a guy like blackmon. He's got character concerns, so i'm hoping he will slip and we can trade back for him. I don't think reaching for a qb is the right call I think you test best player period at 7, if you don't like anyone trade back and take a qb then or blackmon and pick a qb in the second round!
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Jan 10, 2011 at 1:12 PM ]
  • JDog
  • Veteran
Philly is WCO and thier WRs don't look very big?

Since when is Davis 6'5" ?
Share 49ersWebzone