There are 128 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Colin Kaepernick NEVADA

I don't watch a lot of college football, but Nevada runs a weird spread offense. The QB is lined up in the shotgun with a RB stand a few yard behind him.
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
I don't watch a lot of college football, but Nevada runs a weird spread offense. The QB is lined up in the shotgun with a RB stand a few yard behind him.

it's called the PISTOL offense
Quote:
Originally posted by socal9er42:

Rushing Stats
YEAR TEAM ATT YDS AVG LNG TD FD FUM LOST
2007 NEV 105 593 5.6 55 6 0 0 0
2008 NEV 161 1130 7.0 66 17 0 0 0
2009 NEV 161 1183 7.3 75 16 0 0 0
2010 NEV 164 1184 7.2 59 20 0 0 0

Those numbers look good. Height & weight look good.

Is he mobile? Can he look off defenders? Progress through multiple reads? Can he pull off a pump fake (hand size)? Pocket presence? Smart? What offensive system does Nevada use? Good touch passes? Lead his receivers well?
[ Edited by communist on Jan 9, 2011 at 8:57 PM ]
I have never seen him play before tonight and did not get to watch the whole game, but overall not very impressive. Not very accurate and nothing but shotgun snaps.

As others have said, maybe late as a developmental project.
Originally posted by Kurtz49:
I have never seen him play before tonight and did not get to watch the whole game, but overall not very impressive. Not very accurate and nothing but shotgun snaps.

As others have said, maybe late as a developmental project.

The kid hasn't played in 5 weeks...sort of unfair to judge him on one game after that long of a layoff. It's almost like the first game of a new football season for the teams that play into early January.
  • mod
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 28,982
Originally posted by communist:
Quote:
Originally posted by socal9er42:

Rushing Stats
YEAR TEAM ATT YDS AVG LNG TD FD FUM LOST
2007 NEV 105 593 5.6 55 6 0 0 0
2008 NEV 161 1130 7.0 66 17 0 0 0
2009 NEV 161 1183 7.3 75 16 0 0 0
2010 NEV 164 1184 7.2 59 20 0 0 0

Those numbers look good. Height & weight look good.

Is he mobile? Can he look off defenders? Progress through multiple reads? Can he pull off a pump fake (hand size)? Pocket presence? Smart? What offensive system does Nevada use? Good touch passes? Lead his receivers well?

Yeah, but can he run?


[ Edited by modninerfan on Jan 9, 2011 at 10:02 PM ]
Originally posted by communist:
Quote:
Originally posted by socal9er42:

Rushing Stats
YEAR TEAM ATT YDS AVG LNG TD FD FUM LOST
2007 NEV 105 593 5.6 55 6 0 0 0
2008 NEV 161 1130 7.0 66 17 0 0 0
2009 NEV 161 1183 7.3 75 16 0 0 0
2010 NEV 164 1184 7.2 59 20 0 0 0

Those numbers look good. Height & weight look good.

Is he mobile? Can he look off defenders? Progress through multiple reads? Can he pull off a pump fake (hand size)? Pocket presence? Smart? What offensive system does Nevada use? Good touch passes? Lead his receivers well?

Guess I could have worded it better. Obviously he can run - is it due to the scheme? Massive holes by the line? (guessing a combination thereof).

Completely different from being quick/nimble.

JaMarcus had some impressive rushing numbers in College. Didn't translate too well to the Pro game as I recall.........

You need somebody that can accelerate and/or change direction quickly so that they can sidestep/elude a rusher. This kid has a long stride that takes a bit to get going. Don't think that works when everybody is a step or two quicker.
Here in Vegas he's the talk of the town. He will surprise a lot of people when e turns pro.
Originally posted by strickac:
Originally posted by socal9er42:
That possession was better! - looks "gangly" though

He looks hungry. Someone give that kid a sandwich.



make it a footlong
As a Nevada fan I love his running ability and leadership. He's also good in the community. He does have a long wind up, probably cause he's a pro level pitcher so he'll need to work on fundamentals before he's ready. He was throwing lasers on those out routes last night, but not too much over the middle of the field.
Originally posted by thejackal25:
Originally posted by BoiseNiner:
Originally posted by thejackal25:
Originally posted by socal9er42:
Originally posted by sfout:
I'm fairly amazed at the lack of press this guy has got this year, especially after the upset over Boise State. He is a 4 year starter that is just as athletic as Cam Newton but he has done it for 4 full years, he's a much more accurate passer and can carry a team. Sure he is from the WAC but so is Kellen Moore and a lot people are on Kellen Moore's jock.
Here are his career stats

Passing Stats
YEAR TEAM CMP ATT PCT YDS AVG TD LNG INT RAT
2007 NEV 133 247 53.8 2175 8.8 19 74 3 150.77
2008 NEV 208 383 54.3 2849 7.4 22 75 7 132.10
2009 NEV 166 282 58.9 2052 7.3 20 56 6 139.14
2010 NEV 213 326 65.3 2830 8.7 20 79 7 154.21
Rushing Stats
YEAR TEAM ATT YDS AVG LNG TD FD FUM LOST
2007 NEV 105 593 5.6 55 6 0 0 0
2008 NEV 161 1130 7.0 66 17 0 0 0
2009 NEV 161 1183 7.3 75 16 0 0 0
2010 NEV 164 1184 7.2 59 20 0 0 0
Receiving Stats
YEAR TEAM REC YDS AVG LNG TD FD FUM LOST
2009 NEV 1 6 6.0 6 1 0 0 0
Defense Stats
YEAR TEAM TACK SOLO AST PD SACK FF REC INT YDS TD
2007 NEV 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

He compares favorably to all the middle to late round QB's and is much better in most categories compared to Stanzi, Locker, Delvin, and Ponder. Not too mention he destroys Cam Newton in comparison.
He has the leadership and "intangible" qualities that a pro qb would need and with a QB guy like Harbaugh if we gave him half a season to learn and watch the pro system I think he would be our best bet at the finding a compatible WCO QB.
Just wanted to get everyone's opinion on the guy and find out why no one has been hyping him up on the boards?

Those numbers look good. Height & weight look good.

Is he mobile? Can he look off defenders? Progress through multiple reads? Can he pull off a pump fake (hand size)? Pocket presence? Smart? What offensive system does Nevada use? Good touch passes? Lead his receivers well?

He is ridiculously mobile. A tremendous athlete for sure. Developed well as a QB over his last season, becoming more of a passer than just a runner. Very calm under pressure. Very good football IQ.

However, he played in the pistol offense, has a slow wind up, footwork leaves a lot to be desired, and he needs to add weight to his frame. In a word he is RAW.

Definitely agree he can make an excellent late round project. I love the potential he has. He could also play WR and run a wildcat O if he doesn't work out as a true franchise QB. By far the best upside of any of the late round QBs, and represents excellent value.

I have seen plenty of him being a Boise State fan and I agree this is his biggest downfall right now. He's very talented but has a lot of work to do if he ever wants to be a starter in the NFL. However, IMO the tools are there to have a chance at being successful here.

Good analysis by the way.

Thank you Boise. As a Fresno State fan I've seen my fair share of Colin Kaepernick and Kellen Moore highlights (sigh).

Would love to see either in a niners uniform in the future though.

As a Nevada fan, I have seen alot of him. Footwork, touch passes, and wind up are his major issues.
  • mod
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 28,982
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
Originally posted by thejackal25:
Originally posted by BoiseNiner:
Originally posted by thejackal25:
Originally posted by socal9er42:
Originally posted by sfout:
I'm fairly amazed at the lack of press this guy has got this year, especially after the upset over Boise State. He is a 4 year starter that is just as athletic as Cam Newton but he has done it for 4 full years, he's a much more accurate passer and can carry a team. Sure he is from the WAC but so is Kellen Moore and a lot people are on Kellen Moore's jock.
Here are his career stats

Passing Stats
YEAR TEAM CMP ATT PCT YDS AVG TD LNG INT RAT
2007 NEV 133 247 53.8 2175 8.8 19 74 3 150.77
2008 NEV 208 383 54.3 2849 7.4 22 75 7 132.10
2009 NEV 166 282 58.9 2052 7.3 20 56 6 139.14
2010 NEV 213 326 65.3 2830 8.7 20 79 7 154.21
Rushing Stats
YEAR TEAM ATT YDS AVG LNG TD FD FUM LOST
2007 NEV 105 593 5.6 55 6 0 0 0
2008 NEV 161 1130 7.0 66 17 0 0 0
2009 NEV 161 1183 7.3 75 16 0 0 0
2010 NEV 164 1184 7.2 59 20 0 0 0
Receiving Stats
YEAR TEAM REC YDS AVG LNG TD FD FUM LOST
2009 NEV 1 6 6.0 6 1 0 0 0
Defense Stats
YEAR TEAM TACK SOLO AST PD SACK FF REC INT YDS TD
2007 NEV 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

He compares favorably to all the middle to late round QB's and is much better in most categories compared to Stanzi, Locker, Delvin, and Ponder. Not too mention he destroys Cam Newton in comparison.
He has the leadership and "intangible" qualities that a pro qb would need and with a QB guy like Harbaugh if we gave him half a season to learn and watch the pro system I think he would be our best bet at the finding a compatible WCO QB.
Just wanted to get everyone's opinion on the guy and find out why no one has been hyping him up on the boards?

Those numbers look good. Height & weight look good.

Is he mobile? Can he look off defenders? Progress through multiple reads? Can he pull off a pump fake (hand size)? Pocket presence? Smart? What offensive system does Nevada use? Good touch passes? Lead his receivers well?

He is ridiculously mobile. A tremendous athlete for sure. Developed well as a QB over his last season, becoming more of a passer than just a runner. Very calm under pressure. Very good football IQ.

However, he played in the pistol offense, has a slow wind up, footwork leaves a lot to be desired, and he needs to add weight to his frame. In a word he is RAW.

Definitely agree he can make an excellent late round project. I love the potential he has. He could also play WR and run a wildcat O if he doesn't work out as a true franchise QB. By far the best upside of any of the late round QBs, and represents excellent value.

I have seen plenty of him being a Boise State fan and I agree this is his biggest downfall right now. He's very talented but has a lot of work to do if he ever wants to be a starter in the NFL. However, IMO the tools are there to have a chance at being successful here.

Good analysis by the way.

Thank you Boise. As a Fresno State fan I've seen my fair share of Colin Kaepernick and Kellen Moore highlights (sigh).

Would love to see either in a niners uniform in the future though.

As a Nevada fan, I have seen alot of him. Footwork, touch passes, and wind up are his major issues.

Ryan Colburn 2011 49ers QB FTW!
Originally posted by socal9er42:
Originally posted by communist:
Quote:
Originally posted by socal9er42:

Rushing Stats
YEAR TEAM ATT YDS AVG LNG TD FD FUM LOST
2007 NEV 105 593 5.6 55 6 0 0 0
2008 NEV 161 1130 7.0 66 17 0 0 0
2009 NEV 161 1183 7.3 75 16 0 0 0
2010 NEV 164 1184 7.2 59 20 0 0 0

Those numbers look good. Height & weight look good.

Is he mobile? Can he look off defenders? Progress through multiple reads? Can he pull off a pump fake (hand size)? Pocket presence? Smart? What offensive system does Nevada use? Good touch passes? Lead his receivers well?

Guess I could have worded it better. Obviously he can run - is it due to the scheme? Massive holes by the line? (guessing a combination thereof).
1.you can always find some reasons why...even with ingram at bama.
2.we still talk about a QB...it's always impressive if a QB can run well.
  • AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 16,878
Originally posted by sfout:
I'm fairly amazed at the lack of press this guy has got this year, especially after the upset over Boise State. He is a 4 year starter that is just as athletic as Cam Newton but he has done it for 4 full years, he's a much more accurate passer and can carry a team. Sure he is from the WAC but so is Kellen Moore and a lot people are on Kellen Moore's jock.
Here are his career stats

Passing Stats
YEAR TEAM CMP ATT PCT YDS AVG TD LNG INT RAT
2007 NEV 133 247 53.8 2175 8.8 19 74 3 150.77
2008 NEV 208 383 54.3 2849 7.4 22 75 7 132.10
2009 NEV 166 282 58.9 2052 7.3 20 56 6 139.14
2010 NEV 213 326 65.3 2830 8.7 20 79 7 154.21
Rushing Stats
YEAR TEAM ATT YDS AVG LNG TD FD FUM LOST
2007 NEV 105 593 5.6 55 6 0 0 0
2008 NEV 161 1130 7.0 66 17 0 0 0
2009 NEV 161 1183 7.3 75 16 0 0 0
2010 NEV 164 1184 7.2 59 20 0 0 0
Receiving Stats
YEAR TEAM REC YDS AVG LNG TD FD FUM LOST
2009 NEV 1 6 6.0 6 1 0 0 0
Defense Stats
YEAR TEAM TACK SOLO AST PD SACK FF REC INT YDS TD
2007 NEV 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

He compares favorably to all the middle to late round QB's and is much better in most categories compared to Stanzi, Locker, Delvin, and Ponder. Not too mention he destroys Cam Newton in comparison.
He has the leadership and "intangible" qualities that a pro qb would need and with a QB guy like Harbaugh if we gave him half a season to learn and watch the pro system I think he would be our best bet at the finding a compatible WCO QB.
Just wanted to get everyone's opinion on the guy and find out why no one has been hyping him up on the boards?


Full of win!
Originally posted by nevadalove9ers2:
I wouldn't mind if we took him but it would have to be really late. im talking 7th rd

lol.