LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 226 users in the forums

Expect us to Land a Solid QB in the Draft

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49ersRednGold:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by sfout:
Also Stanzi has been sacked 65 times over 3 years. I am going to underline this so everyone will be able to read this!

RICKY STANZI IS NOT MOBILE IN THE SMALLEST SENSE OF THE WORD!!!!

Don't know how much times this video has to be posted but......

Fast forward to the 1:00 mark

If that's not mobility, I don't know what is. Just because a QB prefers to stay in the pocket till the last second most of the time does not make him immobile. BTW, look how he rolls outta the pocket and passes, watch him evade the pass rush, all defined under mobility.

As I was watching that video, I kept seeing Rodgers. Not in terms of arm strength or decision making, but in his demeanor in the pocket, the way he throws, how he rolls out and escapes pressure. It is like I am watching Rodgers. I guess it helps that Stanzi is wearing #12.

Overall, I am rooting for the 49ers to draft Dalton and/or Stanzi in the mid to late rounds. I only watched Dalton in the Fiesta Bowl, but just something about him that makes me think he at least has the intangibles and can be coached.

That's the feeling I get too.Sure he won't wow you with big stats, but its his poise in the pocket and ability to elude the pass-rush and keep drives alive is what I love about this kid.

I like Andy Dalton too, only I've watched and followed Stanzi more.
I've been high on Stanzi since last year. I hope the niners pick him up in the 2nd. I think that he would be a great WCO QB and Harbaugh could school him up to be a great QB.
Originally posted by SourdoughDan:
The thing that i think is getting mixed up is that although Harbaugh had a higher grade on those QB's (Garrard, Romo) than where they went in the draft, if he KNEW a guy could turn into something special, even if other teams didn't agree and that guy was flying under the radar, we'd probably be drafting him early. He's not gonna let his guy sit on the board till the 2rd or 3rd round, he's gonna scoop him up when he gets the chance.

Thank you!

I'm glad someone mentioned this. Everyone acts like because we have Harbaugh we're going to get the next Tom Brady in the 6th round.

Our number one mission right now is to get a starting QB. And I'm pretty sure that Harbaugh is going to take the best available QB that has a grade for whatever round they're in. If they give Andy Dalton or any other non-first round prospect a first or second round grade then that is where they will take him. They are not going to assume that they're the only ones who figured out which QB is going to be good.

Everyone on this board was talking about how Joe Flacco would be a great later round pick up a few years ago and he went early first.

You don't mess around with drafting starting QBs. If there's a guy that Harbaugh gives a second round grade to sitting there when we draft in the second there's no way they gamble on him being there again a round later.
My one caveat to the above post is if we somehow get a much higher profile vet (like Kolb) or have already taken a QB early in the draft. In that case I could see us waiting to take someone late that Harbaugh gave a higher round grade to.
Originally posted by 49ersRednGold:
Originally posted by sfout:
Also Stanzi has been sacked 65 times over 3 years. I am going to underline this so everyone will be able to read this!

RICKY STANZI IS NOT MOBILE IN THE SMALLEST SENSE OF THE WORD!!!!

Don't know how much times this video has to be posted but......

Fast forward to the 1:00 mark

If that's not mobility, I don't know what is. Just because a QB prefers to stay in the pocket till the last second most of the time does not make him immobile. BTW, look how he rolls outta the pocket and passes, watch him evade the pass rush, all defined under mobility.

As I was watching that video, I kept seeing Rodgers. Not in terms of arm strength or decision making, but in his demeanor in the pocket, the way he throws, how he rolls out and escapes pressure. It is like I am watching Rodgers. I guess it helps that Stanzi is wearing #12.

Overall, I am rooting for the 49ers to draft Dalton and/or Stanzi in the mid to late rounds. I only watched Dalton in the Fiesta Bowl, but just something about him that makes me think he at least has the intangibles and can be coached.

That's the feeling I get too.Sure he won't wow you with big stats, but its his poise in the pocket and ability to elude the pass-rush and keep drives alive is what I love about this kid.

I like Andy Dalton too, only I've watched and followed Stanzi more.

I don't really watch college football so I have no prior knowledge about Stanzi but that kid looks pretty damn good. That highlight reel looks like he played under a similar offense to what Harbaugh ran. Stanzi looked like he had good poise and mobility when things were breaking down around him. I like him. Of course I am not a football expert and I am basing my opinion on a highlight reel but I have a good feeling that Harbaugh might draft this kid.
Locker
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:

I'm glad someone mentioned this. Everyone acts like because we have Harbaugh we're going to get the next Tom Brady in the 6th round.

Our number one mission right now is to get a starting QB. And I'm pretty sure that Harbaugh is going to take the best available QB that has a grade for whatever round they're in.

Very few college QBs are ready to start in the HFL as rookies. Bradford is an exception; Joe Montana did not open a season as starter until his third year, and Tom Brady spent a couple of years on the Patriots' bench. Moreover, even college can't-miss QBs flame out, as everybody's favorite examples Tim Couch and Joey Harrington prove.

With that in mind, I do not see Harbaugh putting all of his chips for his starting QB for the 2011 season on any QB who was playing college ball in the 2010 season. (And I do not see Jed York getting into a bidding war for McNabb, either.) I expect Harbaugh to want a developmental project with big upside, and go with a known quantity with some upside for the short- to mid-term (especially if the upside potential shows a window of possibility that the 2011 opening day starter might become the permanent starter).

If I were a betting guy, therefore, I would see Harbaugh pressing Baalke to find a young back-up QB who has served his time on the bench but who whose future is blocked by a far from retirement starter in front of him. (Remember when Favre had three QBs on the bench behind him: Mark Brunell, Kurt Warner, and Matt Hasselbeck?)

Whom would I go after? Dennis Dixon, sitting behind Roethlisberger, or Chase Daniels, sitting behind Brees.

And then take a chance on drafting Kaepernick.
Let's draft two QBs. One early and then a project later.
probably one of the biggest pluses in hiring harbaugh is his apparent ability to evaluate talent. So basically he's the bizzaro Singletary. Exact opposites.
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Let's draft two QBs. One early and then a project later.

would not surprise me. and actually a good idea IMO. Especially with the situation we're in. WE better not keep F'n Carr!

Share 49ersWebzone