There are 143 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Expect us to Land a Solid QB in the Draft

Per Trent Baalke, Harbaugh's talent evaluation with quarterbacks has been lights out, and "spot on" over the years. This is exciting to know, because it further brings faith to us fans that we can build this team into a Super Bowl team. All we've needed is a competent coach, a QB, and the other little pieces in between.

Here's an excerpt from a recent article, talking about Harbaugh's QB evaluation ability:

Quote:
(Baalke speaking): ". . . I've had a chance to watch him interact at practices with the quarterback and he's just got it. I don't think you can teach it. Some guys just have it. . . . He developed one, Josh Johnson, down in San Diego. Obviously, he has a great one (Andrew Luck) at Stanford." The 49ers learned of pre-draft reports Harbaugh wrote while with the Raiders in 2002 and '03. His reports were "spot on," according to a source. Harbaugh placed a second-round grade on Tony Romo, who went undrafted. He had a higher grade on Jaguars fourth-round draft pick David Garrard, who has been a solid NFL starter the past four seasons. Harbaugh did not have a good grade on Joey Harrington, the third overall pick of the Lions in 2002.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/01/08/11/49ers-QA-Front-office-changes-ahead/landing_niners.html?full_args=01/08/11/49ers-QA-Front-office-changes-ahead/landing_niners&blockID=387402&feedID=5936 - Excerpt from bottom of article.
I'm very encouraged after hearing about this yesterday and well as today. We often discuss the top picks, but there are certainly sleepers who make a difference. This allows us to fill a need at 7 if Harbaugh doesn't like the other QB's there. We don't have to reach for a quarterback. He can evaluate middle round talent well and mold that talent. We can take a Prince Amukamara or Marcell Dareus, Akeem Ayers, someone of that ilk at 7 and look at other guys. Anyone have an opinion of Devlin, does he fit as a WCO quarterback or is he not mobile enough?
Originally posted by JDeezy:
I'm very encouraged after hearing about this yesterday and well as today. We often discuss the top picks, but there are certainly sleepers who make a difference. This allows us to fill a need at 7 if Harbaugh doesn't like the other QB's there. We don't have to reach for a quarterback. He can evaluate middle round talent well and mold that talent. We can take a Prince Amukamara or Marcell Dareus, Akeem Ayers, someone of that ilk at 7 and look at other guys. Anyone have an opinion of Devlin, does he fit as a WCO quarterback or is he not mobile enough?

Devlin struggles under pressure and hesitates to make decisions under duress. Probably the reason he only had three picks this year is because he just won't throw it. He'll take the sack or barely get it off just about every time. He operates highly out of the shotgun or the pistol formation.

That said, throwing the ball, he's downright stellar. He makes his reads fast and has pinpoint accuracy when he has time. It's just.. with our line? I don't know I'd want to throw him back there. His mobility though -- while he's not stonelegged, he's not very quick either. Seems stiff when he has to shift in the pocket. I also question his leadership abilities. I didn't see much fire out of him at all last night when they needed a drive to win.

I rate Colin Kaepernick as a much better option. Higher competition, outstanding leader, huge arm, great running ability to escape the pressure, and in Nevada's pistol set, it's a slightly easier transition to being behind center than from straight-up shotgun, because the back is behind you. Kaeper takes pretty good care of the ball as well as far as INT's. I'll be focusing on how he protects it when he runs in their bowl game tomorrow - Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl at 9 EST.
i wonder what his opinion of smith was when he was drafted
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Devlin struggles under pressure and hesitates to make decisions under duress. Probably the reason he only had three picks this year is because he just won't throw it. He'll take the sack or barely get it off just about every time. He operates highly out of the shotgun or the pistol formation.

That said, throwing the ball, he's downright stellar. He makes his reads fast and has pinpoint accuracy when he has time. It's just.. with our line? I don't know I'd want to throw him back there. His mobility though -- while he's not stonelegged, he's not very quick either. Seems stiff when he has to shift in the pocket. I also question his leadership abilities. I didn't see much fire out of him at all last night when they needed a drive to win.

I rate Colin Kaepernick as a much better option. Higher competition, outstanding leader, huge arm, great running ability to escape the pressure, and in Nevada's pistol set, it's a slightly easier transition to being behind center than from straight-up shotgun, because the back is behind you. Kaeper takes pretty good care of the ball as well as far as INT's. I'll be focusing on how he protects it when he runs in their bowl game tomorrow - Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl at 9 EST.

Lol Kaepernick. He might be exactly what we need. I laugh b/c he's a big time s**t talker. Played pickup basketball with him in Turlock once and dude's like a foot taller than me and insisted on posting me up. Anyways, I like his game and the fact that he's athletic, but isn't there still the outside shot he'll go play baseball? He did get drafted by somebody.

Lol Kaepernick. He might be exactly what we need. I laugh b/c he's a big time s**t talker. Played pickup basketball with him in Turlock once and dude's like a foot taller than me and insisted on posting me up. Anyways, I like his game and the fact that he's athletic, but isn't there still the outside shot he'll go play baseball? He did get drafted by somebody.

By the Cubs, in the 43rd round. I don't think that's going to happen. By the time he'd ever sniff the MLB he could've made millions upon millions more in the NFL. I think the chances of him opting for Baseball are extremely slim. He's better at football, and I expect him to go as high as the second round after the combine, and if he performs great at the Senior Bowl, there's a remote, outside chance I believe he could even sneak into the first round.

6-5 225 pound quarterbacks who can run in the low 4.5's just don't grow on trees.
Dalton
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

By the Cubs, in the 43rd round. I don't think that's going to happen. By the time he'd ever sniff the MLB he could've made millions upon millions more in the NFL. I think the chances of him opting for Baseball are extremely slim. He's better at football, and I expect him to go as high as the second round after the combine, and if he performs great at the Senior Bowl, there's a remote, outside chance I believe he could even sneak into the first round.

6-5 225 pound quarterbacks who can run in the low 4.5's just don't grow on trees.

On the rise:

Quote:

1. Colin Kaepernick, QB, Nevada

After evaluating film of his junior year, most scouts viewed Kaepernick as a super athletic, developmental prospect who was a long way from being ready to play in the NFL and projected him to go in the fifth or sixth round.

This season, Kaepernick (6-4 3/4, 219) impressed with his athleticism and speed as a runner but, more important, showed good arm strength and accuracy as a passer.

Throughout his senior season, he has displayed the consistent ability to be accurate from the pocket and on the move. He also has carried the Nevada offense on his back, making big plays with his arm and legs.

Kaepernick will not be a high pick but with a good week at the Senior Bowl in January he could we set himself up to be a second- or third-round pick.

Read more: http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2010-09/draft-dish/story/draft-dish-nevada-qb-colin-kaepernick-moving-up-draft-boards#ixzz1ATH0C3ca

[ Edited by Jcool on Jan 8, 2011 at 10:50:40 ]
Per Trent Baalke, Harbaugh's talent evaluation with quarterbacks has been lights out, and "spot on" over the years. This is exciting to know, because it further brings faith to us fans that we can build this team into a Super Bowl team. All we've needed is a competent coach, a QB, and the other little pieces in between.

Here's an excerpt from a recent article, talking about Harbaugh's QB evaluation ability:

Quote:
(Baalke speaking): ". . . I've had a chance to watch him interact at practices with the quarterback and he's just got it. I don't think you can teach it. Some guys just have it. . . . He developed one, Josh Johnson, down in San Diego. Obviously, he has a great one (Andrew Luck) at Stanford." The 49ers learned of pre-draft reports Harbaugh wrote while with the Raiders in 2002 and '03. His reports were "spot on," according to a source. Harbaugh placed a second-round grade on Tony Romo, who went undrafted. He had a higher grade on Jaguars fourth-round draft pick David Garrard, who has been a solid NFL starter the past four seasons. Harbaugh did not have a good grade on Joey Harrington, the third overall pick of the Lions in 2002.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/01/08/11/49ers-QA-Front-office-changes-ahead/landing_niners.html?full_args=01/08/11/49ers-QA-Front-office-changes-ahead/landing_niners&blockID=387402&feedID=5936 - Excerpt from bottom of article.

This gives me hope as well.

I was very happy to hear that. Regardless of if he thinks someone worth it at QB is there at 7, or if we wait and address that with a later pick, at least it will be someone a good evaluator thinks can be successful.

It just gives me much more faith in our selection. If he thinks Mallett, Gabbert or Newton are worth it, great.

If he likes a Stanzi, Ponder, Foles or someone like that we can get later, I think it will be someone we actively targeted, not just someone who "fell" to us and we took by default.

So, if he knows his guy is going to be there after round 1, it frees us up to go BPA, and I'm fine with that.
I don't like two many of the qb's coming out or at least using the #7 pick on one.

I'd take Kolin in the 2nd as a guy to sit for 2 years and learn and develop.

I know he's short and only a junior but the Kellen Moore kid is perfect for the WCO.
Originally posted by rk1642:
I don't like two many of the qb's coming out or at least using the #7 pick on one.

I'd take Kolin in the 2nd as a guy to sit for 2 years and learn and develop.

I know he's short and only a junior but the Kellen Moore kid is perfect for the WCO.

He would seem to be a good WCO quarterback, but he's not coming out.
Ricky Stanzi: He stands tall and calm in the pocket, throws receivers open, his feet are quiet as he reads the field, and his mechanics are simple and clean. Could be pretty good.

I really want the team to go this route. This accomplishes so much.

Knocks out a need position such as CB that can contribute NOW unlike QB
Gives us a better shot at winning NOW since we would have to get a vet QB if we wait until the middle rounds to draft a QB.
Doesn't set the franchise back several years if the QB pick is a bust
Originally posted by TalkinBoutWILLIS:
i wonder what his opinion of smith was when he was drafted

Originally posted by JusAdBellum:
Ricky Stanzi: He stands tall and calm in the pocket, throws receivers open, his feet are quiet as he reads the field, and his mechanics are simple and clean. Could be pretty good.

Yeah, Harbaugh could turn Stanzi into a stud. Another interesting point about Harbaugh is that his bro (John) comes to him for all of his QB advice (including how to handle Flacco sometimes); Jim even advised John to put Flacco atop of his draft board.