LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 254 users in the forums

49ers pick 7th!

Originally posted by jimrat201:
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by battletowin:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Chief did you read this also from ESPN.

Update on Seahawks-49ers draft tiebreakerJanuary, 2, 2011 Jan 28:26PM ETEmail Print Comments By Mike SandoSEATTLE --

For a while Sunday, I thought Seattle and San Francisco might wind up tied for the seventh overall choice in the 2011 NFL draft if the Seahawks were to lose in Week 17.

Upon review, the New York Giants' victory Sunday gives Seattle the tougher strength of schedule, which would break the tie in the 49ers' favor should the teams finish 6-10.

The 49ers and Seahawks played common opponents except for in two games. San Francisco played Philadelphia (10-6) and Green Bay (10-6), while the Seahawks played Chicago (11-5) and the Giants (10-6).

That would leave the Seahawks with the tougher strength of schedule by one game.

so we would be picking at 7 or 8?
god damn it...we will pick at 7, period.

Spoken like true communist.
sorry, but my patience is not unlimited...

Update on Seahawks-49ers draft tiebreakerJanuary, 2, 2011 Jan 28:26PM ETEmail Print Comments By Mike SandoSEATTLE --

For a while Sunday, I thought Seattle and San Francisco might wind up tied for the seventh overall choice in the 2011 NFL draft if the Seahawks were to lose in Week 17.

Upon review, the New York Giants' victory Sunday gives Seattle the tougher strength of schedule, which would break the tie in the 49ers' favor should the teams finish 6-10.

The 49ers and Seahawks played common opponents except for in two games. San Francisco played Philadelphia (10-6) and Green Bay (10-6), while the Seahawks played Chicago (11-5) and the Giants (10-6).

That would leave the Seahawks with the tougher strength of schedule by one game.

lmao....go get 'em Stalin
Originally posted by ninerlifer:

lmao....go get 'em Stalin
Hmmm...7th isn't too bad. Looks like Seattle is gonna win tonight too. 7th is definitely not a bad spot, and we might be able to trade up to get an Andrew Luck, Patrick peterson etc..
looks like patrick peterson and luck are outta reach hopefully we get prince robert quinn jenkins dareus bowers or fairley
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
looks like patrick peterson and luck are outta reach hopefully we get prince robert quinn jenkins dareus bowers or fairley

Yeah. We're not in a bad spot. I'm content with 7.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by TheGoldenState:
I've got the Niners projected to take Peterson at number 7 overall.

Won't he be long gone by then?

It depends on how the draft falls, how fast he runs at the combine/campus workout, etc. Generally, CB's are not drafted high.

Since there are a number of QB hungry teams in front of the Niners who project to select a QB: Carolina, Cincinnati, Arizona, it simply takes three other non-QB's to be taken before SF for Peterson to fall.

I project:
1. Car- Luck
2. Denver- Bowers
3. Bills- Fairley
4. Cincinnati- Gabbert
5. Cards- Newton
6. Browns- Green

In this scenario, the Niners are on the clock with Peterson as an option.

Whats awesome is none of those Top 6 picks need a CB. Denver might but I think they have bigger needs

Teams simply don't burn top 5 picks on corners, and the Cards and Browns would surely pass on Peterson.

To me, at number 7, the team will end up with a quality QB prospect, the best DE/OLB, the best CB, or the best WR on the board. All need picks for the team.

The key for us drafting a top QB will be if Cincy and Palmer agree on a restructured deal. If they work that out, I can see them drafting A.J. Green, leaving the Cards to pick from Gabbert, Newton, Locker or Mallett. Another question is, does Whisenhunt want to invest a high pick (and the development time) on a rookie QB, or would he rather sign/trade for a veteran quarterback and draft a pass rusher (Quinn?) or a DB (Peterson/Prince)?

I read another article somewhere on the Internet that Coach W. doesn't want to invest time in a rookie QB given the amount of those he had this year. I believe you are correct in surmising that he will go with a Vet rather than another rookie QB.

If that is the case, look for Newton, Gabbert or Mallett if all of them do well in the off season analysis. Gabbert already has a head start landing on McShay's #20 spot. As I remember during these last six years of NFL draft analysis, the franchise QB triumphs all. Therefore, I expect a strong move toward a QB even if it's a small reach. This is especially if we land an offensive-minded HC with a great QB development squad in OC and QB coach.

In my next mock with front office, HC, and draft, I have Billick as HC and Musgrave as OC. I can see Billick/Musgrave looking for a WCO QB coach. Once they do, they have two NFL assistant coaches for our next franchise QB prospect. I am excited in that we have great VET and rookie options for the right framework to bring back the WCO.

Gabbert and Newton both have it. I think Mallett can learn it, too. Those three are on my rader and I am sure yours. The debate will be hot all the way.

Heck I can see a Peterson, Amukamara, Dareus, Quinn and Bowers option on D if they feel that WCO QB options lie in the second round. I believe like Mayock, when you have a franchise QB on your lap, you take him.

Cameron Newton, come on down!
Problem is the bills, cardinals and panthers will likely pilfer any QBs before we draft. In addition, none of the three you named can be considered franchise quarterbacks. We have to many needs to pass on guys like Dareus, peterson, akumara, and my favorite quinn: watch what he did to Constanza from BC on youtube. In the top ten you draft a Qb, a guy who protects the Qb, or a guy who gets the Qb. Didn't we learn this lesson passing on Oher for Crabtree or over drafting Smith. If we whiff in the top ten again we will continue to lose. Take a look at Baltimore, they never whiff in the first round. We constantly do barring Willis and TEs can be found any where in the draft. The 2008 and 2009 drafts led to this bad season. The choke on Staley the Balmer and Chilo picks, heck the entire 08 draft, and I mentioned the Crabtree dilemma. We have to get this draft 100 percent correct in the first 3 rounds. we are not as talented as people on this site believe. We are 6 to 8 players away from being a great team. Not simply a QB. A QB is a big piece of that puzzle but not the last piece. We may win a pathetic division but we won't win in the playoffs with what we got. And just making the playoffs isn't the niner way, or at least it shouldn't be.
as long as its not Newton or a CB I will be happy.
Originally posted by Thorhawk:

seriously have u seen our secondary

im hoping for a pass rusher (fairly bowers quinn) or a CB (peterson prince jenkins) with our pick

im hoping for a pass rusher (fairly bowers quinn) or a CB (peterson prince jenkins) with our pick

Of course i have seen our secondary. A legit pass rusher can make the entire secondary better. And Newton is going bust at the next level.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Originally posted by MILFS:
Originally posted by bigmike55:
That would be awesome. Who knows, if we get Harbaugh, maybe he can pull some strings and get his boy Luck with a blockbuster trade?

I don't know if that's really the best move honestly. Trading for Luck is going to cost us a bunch of picks in this draft and probably our first rounder next year. I remember everyone was all over Eli Manning, he pulled his stunt and the Chargers got a king's ransom for him. While Luck is better than Manning, my point is that it may not be worth it to trade up for Luck.

I agree. I don't think we should give up this year's picks and next year's picks for an unproven player. I say we trade down and pick up more picks and draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round like Stanzi and bring in a veteran QB like Palmer or Orton.

Take a risk! The Giants and Chargers took risks! Got Manning and Rivers! Not bad risks.

Chargers go the better deal and they traded Manning.

Didn't know Rivers won a Super Bowl...

Of course i have seen our secondary. A legit pass rusher can make the entire secondary better. And Newton is going bust at the next level.

im not intrested in newton but our seoncdary is godawful its unrelistic to think our pass rushers will get to the QB every play it is more likelt to stop a WR spencer is an avg #1 CB but he would make a great #2 probly shut down most if not all the /#2 WR and peterson if is good as advertised and is as good as he is in the colege lvl will be a shutdown CB

im not against taking a pass rusher but unless fairly or luck are on the board i would take peterson hands down he has excellent size and he is fast

he is the vernon davis of CB
Originally posted by SWAGG-ER:
Originally posted by MILFS:
Originally posted by bigmike55:
That would be awesome. Who knows, if we get Harbaugh, maybe he can pull some strings and get his boy Luck with a blockbuster trade?

I don't know if that's really the best move honestly. Trading for Luck is going to cost us a bunch of picks in this draft and probably our first rounder next year. I remember everyone was all over Eli Manning, he pulled his stunt and the Chargers got a king's ransom for him. While Luck is better than Manning, my point is that it may not be worth it to trade up for Luck.

I agree. I don't think we should give up this year's picks and next year's picks for an unproven player. I say we trade down and pick up more picks and draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round like Stanzi and bring in a veteran QB like Palmer or Orton.

Take a risk! The Giants and Chargers took risks! Got Manning and Rivers! Not bad risks.

Chargers go the better deal and they traded Manning.

Didn't know Rivers won a Super Bowl...
that's the ultimate answer...would rex grossman be on rivers' level if he had been won the superbowl?
rivers was one of the best QB in the league nearly every season, eli is just a good QB but nothing special.

[ Edited by communist on Jan 2, 2011 at 20:23:09 ]

Newton destroyed Alabama with his arm. He completed almost 70% of his passes. Look at what he did against the elite of the SEC. He isn't simply a running QB. Besides people have said the same thing about Tebow. He looks great out there. Newton is actually more refined as a passer than Tebow.
Share 49ersWebzone