LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 247 users in the forums

49ers pick 7th!

Originally posted by ninertico:
Franchise QB trumps all. Therefore it will be between Newton, Gabbert or Mallett IMO.

Im gonna have to agree with ya here. Because there will ne no free agency, we will take a qb.
Originally posted by TheGoldenState:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by mayo49:
I've got the Niners projected to take Peterson at number 7 overall.

Won't he be long gone by then?

It depends on how the draft falls, how fast he runs at the combine/campus workout, etc. Generally, CB's are not drafted high.

Since there are a number of QB hungry teams in front of the Niners who project to select a QB: Carolina, Cincinnati, Arizona, it simply takes three other non-QB's to be taken before SF for Peterson to fall.

I project:
1. Car- Luck
2. Denver- Bowers
3. Bills- Fairley
4. Cincinnati- Gabbert
5. Cards- Newton
6. Browns- Green

In this scenario, the Niners are on the clock with Peterson as an option.

Whats awesome is none of those Top 6 picks need a CB. Denver might but I think they have bigger needs

Teams simply don't burn top 5 picks on corners, and the Cards and Browns would surely pass on Peterson.

To me, at number 7, the team will end up with a quality QB prospect, the best DE/OLB, the best CB, or the best WR on the board. All need picks for the team.
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by Genius1310:
So its agreed, pass D > pass rush? BS
Our front 7 > our back 4
---IMO---
i dont know what u see but we dont create any constant pressure on the qb, besides justin smith...

I see enough pressure....
What I see more, and what I'm sick of seeing, are wide open opposing WRs
We don't get great pressure, or constant pressure...agreed, and I would love a monster pass rusher, but I would prefer a shutdown corner.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jcool:

It depends on how the draft falls, how fast he runs at the combine/campus workout, etc. Generally, CB's are not drafted high.

Since there are a number of QB hungry teams in front of the Niners who project to select a QB: Carolina, Cincinnati, Arizona, it simply takes three other non-QB's to be taken before SF for Peterson to fall.

I project:
1. Car- Luck
2. Denver- Bowers
3. Bills- Fairley
4. Cincinnati- Gabbert
5. Cards- Newton
6. Browns- Green

what makes Gabbert at top 5 pick?

Because he's good.

He is an NFL QB? Remember Chase Daniel?

This guy is 6'5" with a rocket arm. Chase is like 5'11" and is career backup. This guy is legit.
Originally posted by valrod33:
This is who we need to draft at 7

I second that!!!!

I project:
1. Car- Luck
2. Denver- Bowers
3. Bills- Fairley
4. Cincinnati- Gabbert
5. Cards- Newton
6. Browns- Green

Whats awesome is none of those Top 6 picks need a CB. Denver might but I think they have bigger needs

Teams simply don't burn top 5 picks on corners, and the Cards and Browns would surely pass on Peterson.

To me, at number 7, the team will end up with a quality QB prospect, the best DE/OLB, the best CB, or the best WR on the board. All need picks for the team.

Watch Arz take Green
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

I project:
1. Car- Luck
2. Denver- Bowers
3. Bills- Fairley
4. Cincinnati- Gabbert
5. Cards- Newton
6. Browns- Green

what makes Gabbert at top 5 pick?

Because he's good.

He is an NFL QB? Remember Chase Daniel?

This guy is 6'5" with a rocket arm. Chase is like 5'11" and is career backup. This guy is legit.

6'1"... Who threw 101 Tds, 68% completion and 2x Heisman Trophy candidate

[ Edited by Jcool on Jan 2, 2011 at 18:15:11 ]
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by bigmike55:
With the 7th pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, the San Francisco 49ers select...

Jake Locker QB University of Washington.

We do that and I'm dropping this team.

we will miss you
We need to trade up
We need a QB! End of story!

The upcoming free agent pool is really going to impact the draft. Should be a fair amount of starting QB's heading different directions (Palmer, McNabb, Hasselback, Alex Smith).

I could see the Niners taking a long look at any of these QB's.
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
Either trade for Kevin Kolb or trade up to get Luck!

kolb threw 3 picks today--not sure he is going to be a great qb---im hoping niners can do better

Sexy pick MD

I project:
1. Car- Luck
2. Denver- Bowers
3. Bills- Fairley
4. Cincinnati- Gabbert
5. Cards- Newton
6. Browns- Green

The key for us drafting a top QB will be if Cincy and Palmer agree on a restructured deal. If they work that out, I can see them drafting A.J. Green, leaving the Cards to pick from Gabbert, Newton, Locker or Mallett. Another question is, does Whisenhunt want to invest a high pick (and the development time) on a rookie QB, or would he rather sign/trade for a veteran quarterback and draft a pass rusher (Quinn?) or a DB (Peterson/Prince)?
Originally posted by Byisgod:
We need a QB! End of story!

QB is much deeper than CB. If we are staring at one of the two elite CBs, especially Peterson, we should pull the trigger.

Tough choice, either way. We need OLB/DE, CB, and QB badly. Those should be our first 3 round picks. And we should package picks to get back into the 2nd or even late 1st.
Share 49ersWebzone