LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 274 users in the forums

Holy moly, Batman! We have a slim chance to pick at #2.

Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
Originally posted by ninertico:
I don't want to lose to Arizona. But if we do, we would possibly pick second in the draft behind Carolina as all the other teams in front right now could possibly win.

Again, I don't want to lose nor am I wishing my team to. I just find it fascinating that we have that possibility. Either way, we are assured a top ten pick win or lose now.

Whew!

We pick fifth right now. Unbelievable.

False, we currently pick at 6 and can pick as low as 11. In fact if we win, it's more likely than not that we pick at 11. I'm rooting for a loss and a pick right around the 5 spot.

Yup. This is where you go for a loss. When you are not in playoff contention.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

bwahahahahahahahahaha........what a f'ing idiot

How do you misspell 2 of 4 words on a tattoo?
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
To be perfectly honest, Luck could always pull an Eli Manning. I would NEVER want to play in Carolina. To add to it, if he does in fact declare, he could still pursue his goal of a stanford degree. The entire second semester for Stanford is in the offseason and he could always wrap that up in a year or two if he stayed in the Bay Area. If we were to bring in Harbaugh it could be icing on the cake.

I would honestly offer our 2011 1st, 2012 2nd, and Vernon Davis to move up to grab Luck. We need, above all else, to get a young franchise qb in place. Having a Pro Bowl tightend who is hot and cold, runs poor routes, and has a case of the dropsies is a luxury.

I have thought about this type of scenario...I could see VD being sent someplace else in order to get a QB. I could see this happening (moving VD to acquire picks/QB) if we get a GM/HC who is dead serious about offense.
I think that would be giving up too much. and I wouldn't want them trading vernon. I rather do that 3 team trade with denver that I posted lol
Originally posted by teeohh:
I think that would be giving up too much. and I wouldn't want them trading vernon. I rather do that 3 team trade with denver that I posted lol

What I want is for them to find a coach who really knows how to utilize a TE and see Vernon stick around to be a QBs safety blanket.
f**k no to trading Vernon. a real WCO coach would make Vernon into the Monster he was genetically engineered to be.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Suck it up, take the loss, hope things pan out and we get the #3 pick. Hire Harbaugh, then get Luck to do an Eli Manning with the Panthers and go from there.

Love it! Couldn't say it better if i tried.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

3 words are wrong
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

3 words are wrong

Which three bud?
To be perfectly honest, Luck could always pull an Eli Manning. I would NEVER want to play in Carolina. To add to it, if he does in fact declare, he could still pursue his goal of a stanford degree. The entire second semester for Stanford is in the offseason and he could always wrap that up in a year or two if he stayed in the Bay Area. If we were to bring in Harbaugh it could be icing on the cake.

I would honestly offer our 2011 1st, 2012 2nd, and Vernon Davis to move up to grab Luck. We need, above all else, to get a young franchise qb in place. Having a Pro Bowl tightend who is hot and cold, runs poor routes, and has a case of the dropsies is a luxury.

I'm sorry, this would be the absolute dumbest move that this team could do. Trade their record tying pro-bowl TE who would only get better with better QB play and offensive play calling for a rookie QB who by many experts will not have the best career out of next year's prospects. This would be worst than the Alex Smith selection ad would certainly result in another multiple years of losing with a decreasing fanbase of Luck supporters. Hell no!!!!!

Originally posted by ttime1:

I'm sorry, this would be the absolute dumbest move that this team could do. Trade their record tying pro-bowl TE who would only get better with better QB play and offensive play calling for a rookie QB who by many experts will not have the best career out of next year's prospects. This would be worst than the Alex Smith selection ad would certainly result in another multiple years of losing with a decreasing fanbase of Luck supporters. Hell no!!!!!

Vernon Davis is obscenely overrated on this board. Yes he is a freak athlete, yes he made a pro bowl, but TE is such a replaceable position. He is still a terrible route runner, with little instinct on getting open beyond running fast in a straight line, and below average hands. Vernon Davis is a good asset, but he was record setting because of the system he was in. He is by no means an Antonio Gates or Tony Gonzalez. We targetted him more than any other TE and targeted him specifically in the redzone. Yes, I would love having him on this team, but there are perfectly good starting tightends that fall to the second and third every year (see Gronkowski and Hernandez). An elite, pro ready qb, with as few a holes as Luck has in his game only comes once in a decade. Yes, you can't say he is a guarantee, but it is a guarantee that he is the best prospect since Peyton Manning, and its worth giving up a luxury for a necessity. We will jot be a contender unless we get a franchise qb in place, and Luck has the best shot of being that guy our of anyone this decade.

Vernon Davis is obscenely overrated on this board. Yes he is a freak athlete, yes he made a pro bowl, but TE is such a replaceable position. He is still a terrible route runner, with little instinct on getting open beyond running fast in a straight line, and below average hands. Vernon Davis is a good asset, but he was record setting because of the system he was in. He is by no means an Antonio Gates or Tony Gonzalez.

Better offensive playcalling?! Really? Our offense was hampered because we are too reliant on our rb's and te's, and therefore neglect our wr's. We targetted him more than any other TE that year and targeted him specifically in the redzone. Yes, I would love having him on this team, but there are perfectly good starting tightends that fall to the second and third every year (see Gronkowski and Hernandez). An elite, pro ready qb, with as few a holes as Luck has in his game only comes once in a decade. Yes, you can't say he is a guarantee, but it is a guarantee that he is the best prospect since Peyton Manning, and its worth giving up a luxury for a necessity. We will not be a perrenial contender unless we get a franchise qb in place, and Luck has the best shot of being that guy out of anyone this decade.

Vernon Davis is obscenely overrated on this board. Yes he is a freak athlete, yes he made a pro bowl, but TE is such a replaceable position. He is still a terrible route runner, with little instinct on getting open beyond running fast in a straight line, and below average hands. Vernon Davis is a good asset, but he was record setting because of the system he was in. He is by no means an Antonio Gates or Tony Gonzalez. We targetted him more than any other TE and targeted him specifically in the redzone. Yes, I would love having him on this team, but there are perfectly good starting tightends that fall to the second and third every year (see Gronkowski and Hernandez). An elite, pro ready qb, with as few a holes as Luck has in his game only comes once in a decade. Yes, you can't say he is a guarantee, but it is a guarantee that he is the best prospect since Peyton Manning, and its worth giving up a luxury for a necessity. We will jot be a contender unless we get a franchise qb in place, and Luck has the best shot of being that guy our of anyone this decade.

No, he's severely underutilized. IF we had a quarterback that could complete a f-ing out route the middle would be wide-open.

Since our quarterbacks can't, defenses key on the tight ends and the running game.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nickbradley:

No, he's severely underutilized. IF we had a quarterback that could complete a f-ing out route the middle would be wide-open.

Since our quarterbacks can't, defenses key on the tight ends and the running game.

I threw it out there that Luck would pull an Eli and only play for Harbaugh as well, why wouldn't he? It would just set us up for a trade if we landed Harbaugh. I see 2 first round picks, and any one of these players being used in a trade for #1: Nate Clements, Justin Smith, Josh Morgan.
Especially if we restructure Clements contract, Smith is an underrated DE but we could replace him just like we could replace VD if we had to.
Morgan isn't a #1 WR but has proven he is a #2 threat with consistent production. I really like Morgan because his stats have grown each year and he could be a great player for us but we need to move Crab to #2 and get a big/physical WR in FA or the draft and put him as our #1.
Smith is peaking in his career at the age of 31 and has still shown he is a pro bowl DE but we will need to look for a replacement and he is definitely expendable.
Clements? Do we really need to go into this? We've all seen that he is making making dumb decisions lately. but his statistics have stayed at a high level his entire career. Maybe he is trying to throw his value out the window and get traded with one more solid contract left.
Also Reggie Smith is somehow our starting strong safety, I have a feeling we are buying into TMays so we will trade Smith away as well.

[ Edited by sfout on Dec 28, 2010 at 19:12:03 ]
I watched Blaine Gabbert and was very impressed. I actually think he is better then
Luck. I think Luck is better trained but Gabbert has more ability. I especially liked his quickness and grace and until you watch him, it is hard to describe. He moves around like Joe Montana did with smoothness but with a style like those guys who could elude a wolverine in a phone booth. I think his passing motion could improve as he has a little hop before he throws but he moves like a ballet dancer and always seems balanced. I think if we can get Gabbert or Tolzien and Luck is too hard to acquire, I would not groan but get a DT or corner and get these guys later. I tell you, if he has the temperament of a top qb, this guy could be very good.
Share 49ersWebzone