LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 277 users in the forums

Re-sign Alex, Draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd Rd (regardless of HC)

Originally posted by BSofSF:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
THe question is, is why would Alex want to re-sign here in the first place? With all our douche bag fans. WHy not go somewhere where the fans are not known as the Whiners, and feel welcome? Why not go to a team with a legitiment coaching staff?

I don't think Alex would care to come back.

Because we didn't cut him when the whole league labeled him as a bust.

I saw some Minneapolis Star article the other day that said the Vikes could make a move for Alex Smith in 2011...

Someone will make a run at Smith. The "bust" label reflects the understandable frustration of Niner fans, but he's not really a bust. Smith is a middle of the road, inconsistent QB similar to those on about 15-20 other teams. His "upside" games showcase an ability to perform at an elite level. Some team will definitely think they can coax more consistency out of Smith with better support and coaching that the Niners don't provide. I personally think we should re-sign him and draft a potential replacement. I think we should get rid of Singletary and bring in Urban Meyer. Let Smith either thrive under the Meyer spread system as he did in college, or at least be a serviceable place holder while we groom a replacement.

Totally agree with the first half of your argument.

Smith is NOT A BUST, but an average QB in a weak system. In a great system, like New Orleans with its wide-open spead-like attack, he'd be a 90 - 95 QB rating passer.
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by susweel:
1 good game and people want to re-sign him. Only in NT

He's had several good games since Mike Johnson took over. Strange to think it might have been poor play calling. we win against the panthers if alex stays upright. Are oline is the problem for the bad qb play. Rachael can't block. Davis struggles because he's a rookie, and trying to do the job of 2 men. If someone is going to get replaced, it's rachael first....

Several ???

really ??

Well he's at 80.6, Troy's at 80.3. And david carr is at 23.6 haha. Resign alex draft his replacement, and resign Troy. Give david his papers. Look at the stats, they don't lie under mike johnson vs under jimmy raye, and alex looks like night and day...

For comparison's sake, Alex's passer rating is much higher than 80.6 since Johnson took over.

He's thrown 10 TDs to 4 INTs since then as well...

10TDs, 4INTs, 1077 yards, and a 92 NFL passer rating through (less than) 5 full games since Mike Johnson took over.

That's better than Peyton Manning, Matt Schaub, and Matt Ryan.
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
With Alex Smith, we know what we get at this point: an average starter with a QB rating of 80 - 85 when mature and healthy: (385/641/4159/30/21 in '09 and '10)

Now, that's good enough to win some games with a good defense and running game, but it isn't enough to take you all the way...think Jake Delhomme in Carolina. This will be even more true in the future, with rule changes enhancing the role of the quarterback (QB rating has been going up over the last few years).

So, let's re-sign Alex for 2 -3 years and draft a rookie in the first or second round ...my preference at this point would be to draft a QB in the second (or third) round like Stanzi or Ponder. But if we have a shot at Locker or Cam Newton in the middle of the 1st, that works for me too.

If the rookie pans out and is a 90+ QB rating guy, then great. But if he's a bust, we still have Alex Smith to give you decent production.

Thoughts?

Alex sucks ass. Troy Smith is better than he is hands down. Stanzi is very mediocre. Anyone who ever seen a Iowa game knows he isnt very accurate and has a average arm. 49ers are best served keeping Troy, dumping Smith off the same cliff and Simpletary. 49ers need to get the best QB they can as early as they can. Either Luck, Mallet or Locker which ever falls to us we must grab. A CB or any other position is a luxury pick we cant afford with our QB issues.

Any justification for "Smith sucks ass?" Since Jimmy Raye was fired, Smith has better stats than Matt Ryan and Matt Schaub!
Originally posted by DesiDez:
I noticed a trend lately: let's consider a scenario to somehow keep our bust Alex Smith.

Did the Texans keep Carr? Brown keep Couch? Raiders keep Russell? What about the Chargers and Leaf? Lions and Harrington? Lienart and the Cardinals? Ravens and Boller? Browns and Quinn?

If you really like Alex then his best situation is too leave SF because every time he's allowed to play in the 49ers uni, everybody will hold him to that #1 draft pick status. No one will ever let him forget that either.

I wouldn't be too worried about him EVER DEVELOPING anyway because NEVER IN THE HISTORY of the NFL has a player busted with one team and lived up to his draft status with another.

Another stupid anti-Smith argument. All of those guys had awful statistics compared to Smith. Boller had a career QB rating in the 60s before Baltimore cut him. Leaf, Russell, and Harrington were even worse. Leinart has a QB rating of 71.

tim Couch actually had a career-ending injury, a torn rotator cuff he never recovered from. All others were total busts.
Originally posted by wadjay:
Some of you need to work on reading comprehension.

The idea of the thread isn't that Alex is some long term answer - the op wants to replace Alex with a rookie.

No matter who we draft, we'll need a FA qb to start for a while/serve as back up. Alex is a good fit for that role. Of course, if you have a better option, then spend your time offering up suggestions, but all this crying and moaning because he suggested we re-sign Alex while going after a QB for the future is just ridiculous.

Thats kinda my argument, but it is also a risk argument there: The chances that a 1st round quarterback pans out is 50-50, but we know that Alex is at least an 80 - 85 QB rating type of player. So we minimize downside risk and maximize upside.
Originally posted by lamontb:
How can I think Jake Delhomme when he actually took his team to a super bowl? Smith can't even get this team a winning record.

Jake Delhomme had a QB rating of 80.6 when they went to the super bowl -- that's the last time a defensive-oriented team went to the super bowl without a strong QB. That was actually Delhomme's worst season in Carolina until 2009...he even lost 6 fumbles that year!
Originally posted by cory4903:
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Can we please wait until these last few games are over before suggesting we resign smith? I admit, he'll probably be better than most other qbs we'll be able to get in the FA market (if there even is a FA period), let's just see what happens the next couple weeks.

this....

alex's main problem has been consistency. Good game, bad game, bad game good game. If he does a solid job the remainder of the season then it should be an option, if he continues his inconsistent play; its time for both sides to move on.

Not true. QB rating by game this year:

Career stats: as of 12/14/10

Alex Smith:
QB Rating 71.4, Comp PCT 56.9%, TD-INT 49-52

David Carr
QB Rating 74.9, Comp PCT 59.7%, TD-INT 65-71

Tim Couch
QB Rating 75.1, Comp PCT 59.8%, TD-INT 64-67

Joey Harrington
QB Rating 69.4, Comp PCT 56.1%, TD-INT 79-85

Jamarcus Russell
QB Rating 65.2, Comp PCT 52.1%, TD-INT 18-23

Ryan Leaf
QB Rating 50.0, Comp PCT 48.4%, TD-INT 14-36

Brady Quinn
QB Rating 66.8, Comp PCT 52.1%, TD-INT 10-9

Ohh yes, Alex Smith is CLEARLY THE BEST of his bust brothers...not. He's better than only Leaf and Russell but that's only because those two lacked the mental capacity to handle the NFL. Alex is in the "I have no actual talent" bust category of Carr, Couch, and Harrington. Stats don't lie...go use your google machine to prove me otherwise. All the fansboys have are excuses and conditional statements.

The backup QB should be providing COMPETITION for the new starter like Steve Young did with Montana. Alex doesn't even provide that.

Its amazing how low the standards for QB play has sunk in SF. Once you all stop accepting losing football and mediocrity, then the 49ers can return to their glory days.

Throw out rookie seasons, then compare. And like I mentioned earlier, Tim Couch wasn't really a huge bust -- he shredded his rotator cuff and was never the same again.
Originally posted by English:
I noticed a trend lately: let's consider a scenario to somehow keep our bust Alex Smith.

Did the Texans keep Carr? Brown keep Couch? Raiders keep Russell? What about the Chargers and Leaf? Lions and Harrington? Lienart and the Cardinals? Ravens and Boller? Browns and Quinn?

If you really like Alex then his best situation is too leave SF because every time he's allowed to play in the 49ers uni, everybody will hold him to that #1 draft pick status. No one will ever let him forget that either.

I wouldn't be too worried about him EVER DEVELOPING anyway because NEVER IN THE HISTORY of the NFL has a player busted with one team and lived up to his draft status with another.

This last paragraph simply isn't true. Not sure if you are being funny or if you actually mean it. If you really believe this, all I can say is you don't know enough about the history of the NFL to be making statements like this.

Jim Plunckett

Smith is NOT A BUST, but an average QB in a weak system. In a great system, like New Orleans with its wide-open spead-like attack, he'd be a 90 - 95 QB rating passer.

He already does, since Johnson took over his passer rating is 92.

He already does, since Johnson took over his passer rating is 92.

Yep
Originally posted by English:

This last paragraph simply isn't true. Not sure if you are being funny or if you actually mean it. If you really believe this, all I can say is you don't know enough about the history of the NFL to be making statements like this.

Jim Plunckett

You didn't read my follow-up post did you?!! Yes, Jim is the best example.
Share 49ersWebzone