LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 252 users in the forums

Re-sign Alex, Draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd Rd (regardless of HC)

I noticed a trend lately: let's consider a scenario to somehow keep our bust Alex Smith.

Did the Texans keep Carr? Brown keep Couch? Raiders keep Russell? What about the Chargers and Leaf? Lions and Harrington? Lienart and the Cardinals? Ravens and Boller? Browns and Quinn?

If you really like Alex then his best situation is too leave SF because every time he's allowed to play in the 49ers uni, everybody will hold him to that #1 draft pick status. No one will ever let him forget that either.

I wouldn't be too worried about him EVER DEVELOPING anyway because NEVER IN THE HISTORY of the NFL has a player busted with one team and lived up to his draft status with another.
Some of you need to work on reading comprehension.

The idea of the thread isn't that Alex is some long term answer - the op wants to replace Alex with a rookie.

No matter who we draft, we'll need a FA qb to start for a while/serve as back up. Alex is a good fit for that role. Of course, if you have a better option, then spend your time offering up suggestions, but all this crying and moaning because he suggested we re-sign Alex while going after a QB for the future is just ridiculous.
How can I think Jake Delhomme when he actually took his team to a super bowl? Smith can't even get this team a winning record.
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Can we please wait until these last few games are over before suggesting we resign smith? I admit, he'll probably be better than most other qbs we'll be able to get in the FA market (if there even is a FA period), let's just see what happens the next couple weeks.

this....

alex's main problem has been consistency. Good game, bad game, bad game good game. If he does a solid job the remainder of the season then it should be an option, if he continues his inconsistent play; its time for both sides to move on.
I like the idea of trading for Carson Palmer(time in cincy is pretty much over) and drafting a QB. If we traded for Palmer, we would not have to reach for a QB in the middle of the first round. If one of the top qbs (luck, newton, mallet, locker) doesnt fall to us in the middle of the first round, we can take a player at a different position and grab a guy like stanzi in the second or third
Originally posted by DesiDez:
I noticed a trend lately: let's consider a scenario to somehow keep our bust Alex Smith.

Did the Texans keep Carr? Brown keep Couch? Raiders keep Russell? What about the Chargers and Leaf? Lions and Harrington? Lienart and the Cardinals? Ravens and Boller? Browns and Quinn?

If you really like Alex then his best situation is too leave SF because every time he's allowed to play in the 49ers uni, everybody will hold him to that #1 draft pick status. No one will ever let him forget that either.

I wouldn't be too worried about him EVER DEVELOPING anyway because NEVER IN THE HISTORY of the NFL has a player busted with one team and lived up to his draft status with another.

You can make a strong argument that he is better than a lot of those guys. He's nowhere near the bust caliber of some of those you mentioned.

carr??? couch? russell????? leaf? oh my goodness...you compare guys, who sucked all the way to alex smith who isnt the greatest QB in the world but he is solid ovr...more than enough to be a backup.
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
Hmm why is Alex Smith inconsistant. I wouldnt have anything to do with the inconsistancy he's had ever since coming to this orginization. Inconsistant head coaching,inconsistant play calling and coordinators, inconsistant OLine play, inconsistant receivers. Gimme a break He is the best optopn we have. You keep him draft a QB and groom them both.
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by susweel:
1 good game and people want to re-sign him. Only in NT

He's had several good games since Mike Johnson took over. Strange to think it might have been poor play calling. we win against the panthers if alex stays upright. Are oline is the problem for the bad qb play. Rachael can't block. Davis struggles because he's a rookie, and trying to do the job of 2 men. If someone is going to get replaced, it's rachael first....

Several ???

really ??

Well he's at 80.6, Troy's at 80.3. And david carr is at 23.6 haha. Resign alex draft his replacement, and resign Troy. Give david his papers. Look at the stats, they don't lie under mike johnson vs under jimmy raye, and alex looks like night and day...

For comparison's sake, Alex's passer rating is much higher than 80.6 since Johnson took over.

He's thrown 10 TDs to 4 INTs since then as well...

10TDs, 4INTs, 1077 yards, and a 92 NFL passer rating through (less than) 5 full games since Mike Johnson took over.
looks like a quality backup.

Puts him TOP 10 in the NFL over that period. Nice backup I'd say.

Through 4.75 games (he was out for most of the 2nd half against Carolina) that's 2.11 TDs, 0.84 INTs, 227 yards per game and a 92 NFL passer rating.
[ Edited by Gavintech on Dec 14, 2010 at 7:33 AM ]
Originally posted by MarkD:
Hmm why is Alex Smith inconsistant. I wouldnt have anything to do with the inconsistancy he's had ever since coming to this orginization. Inconsistant head coaching,inconsistant play calling and coordinators, inconsistant OLine play, inconsistant receivers. Gimme a break He is the best optopn we have. You keep him draft a QB and groom them both.

10TDs, 4INTs, 1077 yards, and a 92 NFL passer rating through (less than) 5 full games since Mike Johnson took over.

I'm sure there's more than a few but Jim Plunkett comes to mind. From #1 overall pick in Boston, run out of town (traded), riding the bench of the 49ers and Raiders for a few years, to becoming one of the best QBs of the era with two Super Bowl appearances, one of them a superbowl MVP.
Career stats: as of 12/14/10

Alex Smith:
QB Rating 71.4, Comp PCT 56.9%, TD-INT 49-52

David Carr
QB Rating 74.9, Comp PCT 59.7%, TD-INT 65-71

Tim Couch
QB Rating 75.1, Comp PCT 59.8%, TD-INT 64-67

Joey Harrington
QB Rating 69.4, Comp PCT 56.1%, TD-INT 79-85

Jamarcus Russell
QB Rating 65.2, Comp PCT 52.1%, TD-INT 18-23

Ryan Leaf
QB Rating 50.0, Comp PCT 48.4%, TD-INT 14-36

Brady Quinn
QB Rating 66.8, Comp PCT 52.1%, TD-INT 10-9

Ohh yes, Alex Smith is CLEARLY THE BEST of his bust brothers...not. He's better than only Leaf and Russell but that's only because those two lacked the mental capacity to handle the NFL. Alex is in the "I have no actual talent" bust category of Carr, Couch, and Harrington. Stats don't lie...go use your google machine to prove me otherwise. All the fansboys have are excuses and conditional statements.

The backup QB should be providing COMPETITION for the new starter like Steve Young did with Montana. Alex doesn't even provide that.

Its amazing how low the standards for QB play has sunk in SF. Once you all stop accepting losing football and mediocrity, then the 49ers can return to their glory days.

This last paragraph simply isn't true. Not sure if you are being funny or if you actually mean it. If you really believe this, all I can say is you don't know enough about the history of the NFL to be making statements like this.
Originally posted by English:

This last paragraph simply isn't true. Not sure if you are being funny or if you actually mean it. If you really believe this, all I can say is you don't know enough about the history of the NFL to be making statements like this.

Its more of a statement of the very slim likelihood of a career resurrection. Sure there are exceptions like Plunkett, Testaverde and even Dilfer but that's a barely handful of the countless busts at QB.
Originally posted by English:

Its more of a statement of the very slim likelihood of a career resurrection. Sure there are exceptions like Plunkett, Testaverde and even Dilfer but that's a barely handful of the countless busts at QB.

Then say it that way. Typing, in caps, never in the history of the NFL is just asking to be shot down in flames if it isn't true.

Also worth pointing out that just because something has never happened before is no guarantee that it will never happen.

And anyway, Jim Plunkett's story is one of my favourites.
Share 49ersWebzone