There are 102 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Re-sign Alex, Draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd Rd (regardless of HC)

So if we get rid of Alex, who's going to play QB next year? A rookie? I don't think Alex Smith is the answer, but it's way better to have him and develop a QB behind him than to have some s**tty QB like Derek Anderson.
Originally posted by Pick6:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Can we please wait until these last few games are over before suggesting we resign smith? I admit, he'll probably be better than most other qbs we'll be able to get in the FA market (if there even is a FA period), let's just see what happens the next couple weeks.

I think we should, do we let him walk to a team like the cards! NO WAY, he's a instant upgrade for them. Better to work out a deal with him. He's finally starting to perform under mike Johnson. Stats show under jimmy raye he sucked. With mike running the game plans, and seeming more comfortable in knowing what our players can and can't do; Alex when healthy has looked his best since norv. I think if him, and mike can build on the last few games; and we actually do make the playoffs both should have jobs next season with the niners! So chargers and a short week.... Yes i still think we should draft a qb to learn under alex, also to push him to be a great qb. Joe always had steve behind him, and it made both players better for it.

If we let him walk, he's probably ending up in AZ, Minny, or Nashville AS THE STARTER.

IF thats the case how do the 9ers have any say in the matter? they don't... ASmith will go somewhere else in the offseason... starter or not he will NOT be back w/ the 9ers.

WHY WOULD HE CHOOSE TO PLAY HERE IF HE HAS OTHER OPTIONS? ... maybe he likes being booed after two plays

It's not about other options. It's about proving himself, and to the fans that they made the right selection. If he wanted to be somewhere else, he wouldn't have restructured his deal. He's loyal like a puppy, but he's also willing to challenge himself to prove it.
1 good game and people want to re-sign him. Only in NT
Originally posted by susweel:

Nevermind... it's susweel.

The guy who talks badly about "NT" but has 20,000+ post... You're dogging yourself there buddy
[ Edited by JiksJuicy on Dec 13, 2010 at 3:53 PM ]
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by fakers23:
Originally posted by whatawegot:
With Alex Smith, we know what we get at this point: an average starter with a QB rating of 80 - 85 when mature and healthy: (385/641/4159/30/21 in '09 and '10)

Now, that's good enough to win some games with a good defense and running game, but it isn't enough to take you all the way...think Jake Delhomme in Carolina. This will be even more true in the future, with rule changes enhancing the role of the quarterback (QB rating has been going up over the last few years).

So, let's re-sign Alex for 2 -3 years and draft a rookie in the first or second round ...my preference at this point would be to draft a QB in the second (or third) round like Stanzi or Ponder. But if we have a shot at Locker or Cam Newton in the middle of the 1st, that works for me too.

If the rookie pans out and is a 90+ QB rating guy, then great. But if he's a bust, we still have Alex Smith to give you decent production.

Thoughts?

What words come to mind when reading the subject heading

r u kidding me
clueless
omg
get off the crack
quit riding the bottle
resign who?
i forgot to take my zanez when reading webzone

lmao... couldn't put it any better... i mean i can't believe people still haven't learned after 6 years

Spoken like a noob, totally ignoring facts (like statistics), the quality of the rest of the team, and the fact that there's a 50-50 bust rate on new quarterbacks.

So everyone in the league including Eddie is wrong and you Alex lovers are right... The facts remain in 6 years under Smith the team has never once had a winning season! Has an 18-30 record and has seen your boy loses his job to Troy,Hill,and JTO.. Those are the facts!

Archie Manning never went to the play-offs...he was still a great QB...just on a sucky team. That's a fact too.

Archie's a bad example because he wasn't that good...overrated. Had 3 decent seasons (78 - 80).

I dunno...I figured he was solid...the team was just THAT bad.

Look at his stats:

http://www.nfl.com/players/archiemanning/profile?id=MAN479160

He was super-hyped coming out of College, and played for a loooong time. Racked up almost 24,000 yard passing, but had a career QB rating of 67.

There was a time when that wasn't as bad as it is now... there are QB's in the HOF with similar ratings. Joe Namath... whom some consider to be one of the best of all time has a career rating of 65.5.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:

1 good game and people want to re-sign him....

The guy who talks badly about "NT" but has 20,000+ post... You're dogging yourself there buddy

nevermind its some noob I never heard of.

He's had several good games, since Mike Johnson took over. Strange to think, it might have been poor play calling. we win against the panthers if alex stays upright. Are oline is the problem for the bad qb play. Rachael can't block. Davis struggles because he's a rookie, and trying to do the job of 2 men. If someone is going to get replaced, it's rachael first....
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Dec 13, 2010 at 3:56 PM ]

nevermind its some noob I never heard of.

I prefer to talk real football... Remember this is the "NT"? You said it yourself...
Originally posted by BobS:
With Alex Smith, we know what we get at this point: an average starter with a QB rating of 80 - 85 when mature and healthy: (385/641/4159/30/21 in '09 and '10)

Now, that's good enough to win some games with a good defense and running game, but it isn't enough to take you all the way...think Jake Delhomme in Carolina. This will be even more true in the future, with rule changes enhancing the role of the quarterback (QB rating has been going up over the last few years).

So, let's re-sign Alex for 2 -3 years and draft a rookie in the first or second round ...my preference at this point would be to draft a QB in the second (or third) round like Stanzi or Ponder. But if we have a shot at Locker or Cam Newton in the middle of the 1st, that works for me too.

If the rookie pans out and is a 90+ QB rating guy, then great. But if he's a bust, we still have Alex Smith to give you decent production.

Thoughts?

Alex is the best we have..so yeah, we should re-sign him. We should draft a rook.

Ugh,NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I don't want The Bust back period! Why can't you Alex lovers accept reality! He's not welcome in San Fran!

An 80-85 QB rating player is NOT a bust. Those are Phil Simms-type career stats, adjusted for today's more QB-friendly environment.

http://www.nfl.com/players/philsimms/profile?id=SIM342758

He's a bust! Everyone around football knows... Eddie knows it,Steve Young knows it... Only ones that think he's good are you lovers... He has a 18-30 record and a 2 and 6 record this year.. Why is it only people on here can't see what the rest of world sees!

You don't understand he had a good game. One good game here and there are all the Alex lovers need. Want till San Diego's pass defense gets a hold of him. Then the excuse makers will come back out.

Your right... I should of expected this from them...

This has nothing to do with that. Like I posted, Alex is a career 80 - 85 QB rating guy, starter-caliber but not a pro bowl, super bowl type. So, we keep him and develop another.
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:

He's had several good games since Mike Johnson took over. Strange to think it might have been poor play calling. we win against the panthers if alex stays upright. Are oline is the problem for the bad qb play. Rachael can't block. Davis struggles because he's a rookie, and trying to do the job of 2 men. If someone is going to get replaced, it's rachael first....

Several ???

really ??

If by people, you mean Nick-whatever his name is. Then yes. He and Ceadder will always be on Alex's nutz!
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
Damn you Alex haters are so stupid. You keep saying he has had six years to prove himself. No he has played in 51 games that equates to a little over 3 seasons, and that includes 9 games his rookie seson. Statisticly he is having a better year this year than anyother year he has had since being in SF. Yes even 2006 when everone was so high on him when Norv was here. Take away his rookie season and he is a pretty good QB which alot of potential. The problem is not with him but with the crappy coaching and coaches he's had. Oh and lets not forget about all of the idiot fans who dont know jacksh#t and think that he is the only player on the team and everytime they lose its all on him. It has nothing to do with game planning, play calling,defense, etc etc. We need to sign him and draft another QB to groom. I doubt he will sign here anyway because of how you tools have bashed and boo'd him. So to all you idiot fans and coaches, have fun ruining our next QB.
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by jreff22:
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=149903

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=149674

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=149682

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=149818

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=149683

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=149597

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=149572

Can mods PLZ remove these stupid lock signs? This AS thread is different than others. So many locks should be considered spam and a violation of policy.

Mods, please tell Norcal9erfan to stop trying to lock my 164th thread about my lord and savior Alex Smith. I can start a new thread and disregard all of the other millions of threads already open on the topic because I'm special.

Originally posted by Pick6:
Originally posted by whatawegot:

Thoughts?

What words come to mind when reading the subject heading

r u kidding me
clueless
omg
get off the crack
quit riding the bottle
resign who?
i forgot to take my zanez when reading webzone

lmao... couldn't put it any better... i mean i can't believe people still haven't learned after 6 years

Spoken like a noob, totally ignoring facts (like statistics), the quality of the rest of the team, and the fact that there's a 50-50 bust rate on new quarterbacks.

So everyone in the league including Eddie is wrong and you Alex lovers are right... The facts remain in 6 years under Smith the team has never once had a winning season! Has an 18-30 record and has seen your boy loses his job to Troy,Hill,and JTO.. Those are the facts!

Archie Manning never went to the play-offs...he was still a great QB...just on a sucky team. That's a fact too.

Archie's a bad example because he wasn't that good...overrated. Had 3 decent seasons (78 - 80).

I dunno...I figured he was solid...the team was just THAT bad.

Look at his stats:

http://www.nfl.com/players/archiemanning/profile?id=MAN479160

He was super-hyped coming out of College, and played for a loooong time. Racked up almost 24,000 yard passing, but had a career QB rating of 67.

There was a time when that wasn't as bad as it is now... there are QB's in the HOF with similar ratings. Joe Namath... whom some consider to be one of the best of all time has a career rating of 65.5.

starting in 1978, the NFL totally changed, and QB stats skyrocketed...before that there was no such thing as illegal contact. Joe Namath retired in 1977. Archie played 10 years under the new system and didn't do anything amazing. In fact, Archie's #s shot up all the way to 81 starting in 1978.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home