There are 197 users in the forums

Re-sign Alex, Draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd Rd (regardless of HC)

Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by fakers23:
Originally posted by whatawegot:
With Alex Smith, we know what we get at this point: an average starter with a QB rating of 80 - 85 when mature and healthy: (385/641/4159/30/21 in '09 and '10)

Now, that's good enough to win some games with a good defense and running game, but it isn't enough to take you all the way...think Jake Delhomme in Carolina. This will be even more true in the future, with rule changes enhancing the role of the quarterback (QB rating has been going up over the last few years).

So, let's re-sign Alex for 2 -3 years and draft a rookie in the first or second round ...my preference at this point would be to draft a QB in the second (or third) round like Stanzi or Ponder. But if we have a shot at Locker or Cam Newton in the middle of the 1st, that works for me too.

If the rookie pans out and is a 90+ QB rating guy, then great. But if he's a bust, we still have Alex Smith to give you decent production.

Thoughts?

What words come to mind when reading the subject heading

r u kidding me
clueless
omg
get off the crack
quit riding the bottle
resign who?
i forgot to take my zanez when reading webzone

lmao... couldn't put it any better... i mean i can't believe people still haven't learned after 6 years

Spoken like a noob, totally ignoring facts (like statistics), the quality of the rest of the team, and the fact that there's a 50-50 bust rate on new quarterbacks.

So everyone in the league including Eddie is wrong and you Alex lovers are right... The facts remain in 6 years under Smith the team has never once had a winning season! Has an 18-30 record and has seen your boy loses his job to Troy,Hill,and JTO.. Those are the facts!

Archie Manning never went to the play-offs...he was still a great QB...just on a sucky team. That's a fact too.

Archie's a bad example because he wasn't that good...overrated. Had 3 decent seasons (78 - 80).

I dunno...I figured he was solid...the team was just THAT bad.
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Can we please wait until these last few games are over before suggesting we resign smith? I admit, he'll probably be better than most other qbs we'll be able to get in the FA market (if there even is a FA period), let's just see what happens the next couple weeks.

I think we should, do we let him walk to a team like the cards! NO WAY, he's a instant upgrade for them. Better to work out a deal with him. He's finally starting to perform under mike Johnson. Stats show under jimmy raye he sucked. With mike running the game plans, and seeming more comfortable in knowing what our players can and can't do; Alex when healthy has looked his best since norv. I think if him, and mike can build on the last few games; and we actually do make the playoffs both should have jobs next season with the niners! So chargers and a short week.... Yes i still think we should draft a qb to learn under alex, also to push him to be a great qb. Joe always had steve behind him, and it made both players better for it.
  • Otter
  • Veteran
I think we should re-sign Alex Smith too. We should also make a play for Favre. He's done in Minnesota, and a free agent. Bring him in and let Smith learn from him. Maybe put a little gunslinger in Alex.
Alex Smith is a serviceable quarterback with some upside if he's properly coached. Keeping him would not be a good idea due to the hate from the fan base. Unless, of course, we can take these last 3 games and sneak into the playoffs. If he does decent there resigning him would be a good idea while we groom a qb.

That being said the biggest problem all year hasn't been Alex Smith even though everyone likes to blame him. The problem is the defense. Green Bay flat out embarrassed our secondary. We should be more focused on signing a cover corner and a pass rusher.
Can we please let Alex Smith go??? What does it take? The man simply is not good enough. He has had 6 years to prove himself. Almost no one gets that much time to prove himself on any job.
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Can we please wait until these last few games are over before suggesting we resign smith? I admit, he'll probably be better than most other qbs we'll be able to get in the FA market (if there even is a FA period), let's just see what happens the next couple weeks.

I think we should, do we let him walk to a team like the cards! NO WAY, he's a instant upgrade for them. Better to work out a deal with him. He's finally starting to perform under mike Johnson. Stats show under jimmy raye he sucked. With mike running the game plans, and seeming more comfortable in knowing what our players can and can't do; Alex when healthy has looked his best since norv. I think if him, and mike can build on the last few games; and we actually do make the playoffs both should have jobs next season with the niners! So chargers and a short week.... Yes i still think we should draft a qb to learn under alex, also to push him to be a great qb. Joe always had steve behind him, and it made both players better for it.

If we let him walk, he's probably ending up in AZ, Minny, or Nashville AS THE STARTER.
[ Edited by nickbradley on Dec 13, 2010 at 3:39 PM ]
Originally posted by jreff22:
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=149903

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=149674

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=149682

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=149818

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=149683

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=149597

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=149572

Dec 13, 2010 at 3:41 PM
With Alex Smith, we know what we get at this point: an average starter with a QB rating of 80 - 85 when mature and healthy: (385/641/4159/30/21 in '09 and '10)

Now, that's good enough to win some games with a good defense and running game, but it isn't enough to take you all the way...think Jake Delhomme in Carolina. This will be even more true in the future, with rule changes enhancing the role of the quarterback (QB rating has been going up over the last few years).

So, let's re-sign Alex for 2 -3 years and draft a rookie in the first or second round ...my preference at this point would be to draft a QB in the second (or third) round like Stanzi or Ponder. But if we have a shot at Locker or Cam Newton in the middle of the 1st, that works for me too.

If the rookie pans out and is a 90+ QB rating guy, then great. But if he's a bust, we still have Alex Smith to give you decent production.

Thoughts?

r u kidding me
clueless
omg
get off the crack
quit riding the bottle
resign who?

lmao... couldn't put it any better... i mean i can't believe people still haven't learned after 6 years

Spoken like a noob, totally ignoring facts (like statistics), the quality of the rest of the team, and the fact that there's a 50-50 bust rate on new quarterbacks.

So everyone in the league including Eddie is wrong and you Alex lovers are right... The facts remain in 6 years under Smith the team has never once had a winning season! Has an 18-30 record and has seen your boy loses his job to Troy,Hill,and JTO.. Those are the facts!

Archie Manning never went to the play-offs...he was still a great QB...just on a sucky team. That's a fact too.

Archie's a bad example because he wasn't that good...overrated. Had 3 decent seasons (78 - 80).

Look at his stats:

http://www.nfl.com/players/archiemanning/profile?id=MAN479160

He was super-hyped coming out of College, and played for a loooong time. Racked up almost 24,000 yard passing, but had a career QB rating of 67.
  • BobS
  • Veteran

Thoughts?

Alex is the best we have..so yeah, we should re-sign him. We should draft a rook.

Ugh,NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I don't want The Bust back period! Why can't you Alex lovers accept reality! He's not welcome in San Fran!

An 80-85 QB rating player is NOT a bust. Those are Phil Simms-type career stats, adjusted for today's more QB-friendly environment.

http://www.nfl.com/players/philsimms/profile?id=SIM342758

He's a bust! Everyone around football knows... Eddie knows it,Steve Young knows it... Only ones that think he's good are you lovers... He has a 18-30 record and a 2 and 6 record this year.. Why is it only people on here can't see what the rest of world sees!

You don't understand he had a good game. One good game here and there are all the Alex lovers need. Want till San Diego's pass defense gets a hold of him. Then the excuse makers will come back out.

Thoughts?

r u kidding me
clueless
omg
get off the crack
quit riding the bottle
resign who?

Look at his stats:

http://www.nfl.com/players/archiemanning/profile?id=MAN479160

He was super-hyped coming out of College, and played for a loooong time. Racked up almost 24,000 yard passing, but had a career QB rating of 67.

Did you look at his total times sacked? WOW.

Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by jreff22:
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=149903

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=149674

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=149682

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=149818

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=149683

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=149597

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=149572

Can mods PLZ remove these stupid lock signs? This AS thread is different than others. So many locks should be considered spam and a violation of policy.
[ Edited by nickbradley on Dec 13, 2010 at 3:44 PM ]
  • Jiks
Originally posted by BobS:

Thoughts?

Alex is the best we have..so yeah, we should re-sign him. We should draft a rook.

Ugh,NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I don't want The Bust back period! Why can't you Alex lovers accept reality! He's not welcome in San Fran!

An 80-85 QB rating player is NOT a bust. Those are Phil Simms-type career stats, adjusted for today's more QB-friendly environment.

He's a bust! Everyone around football knows... Eddie knows it,Steve Young knows it... Only ones that think he's good are you lovers... He has a 18-30 record and a 2 and 6 record this year.. Why is it only people on here can't see what the rest of world sees!

You don't understand he had a good game. One good game here and there are all the Alex lovers need. Want till San Diego's pass defense gets a hold of him. Then the excuse makers will come back out.

But what will you Fortune Tellers say if he has a good game and we win?

You will come up with your same excuses.
Originally posted by Spoonerism:
Alex Smith is a serviceable quarterback with some upside if he's properly coached. Keeping him would not be a good idea due to the hate from the fan base. Unless, of course, we can take these last 3 games and sneak into the playoffs. If he does decent there resigning him would be a good idea while we groom a qb.

That being said the biggest problem all year hasn't been Alex Smith even though everyone likes to blame him. The problem is the defense. Green Bay flat out embarrassed our secondary. We should be more focused on signing a cover corner and a pass rusher.

There's 3 players i want in the draft. Aj green, Peterson, and prince. We can take a qb in the second and add a instant starter to either our wr core, or our over the hill secondary... Still don't believe there's a passrusher in the draft. There's just no dware yet! Combine will mix things up!

Alex Throwing to fitz is going to give me a fit!
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Dec 13, 2010 at 3:45 PM ]
Originally posted by BobS:

Thoughts?

Your right... I should of expected this from them...
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:

If we let him walk, he's probably ending up in AZ, Minny, or Nashville AS THE STARTER.

IF thats the case how do the 9ers have any say in the matter? they don't... ASmith will go somewhere else in the offseason... starter or not he will NOT be back w/ the 9ers.

WHY WOULD HE CHOOSE TO PLAY HERE IF HE HAS OTHER OPTIONS? ... maybe he likes being booed after two plays