LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 231 users in the forums

Re-sign Alex, Draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd Rd (regardless of HC)

Originally posted by jreff22:
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=149903

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=149674

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=149682

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=149818

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=149683

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=149597

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=149572

All of those are different than this. My argument is that Alex Smith is a serviceable starter in the NFL and the best option would be to keep him, start him, and try to develop another QB. If the prospect fails, at least we have a guy that gets you decent production.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by fakers23:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
With Alex Smith, we know what we get at this point: an average starter with a QB rating of 80 - 85 when mature and healthy: (385/641/4159/30/21 in '09 and '10)

Now, that's good enough to win some games with a good defense and running game, but it isn't enough to take you all the way...think Jake Delhomme in Carolina. This will be even more true in the future, with rule changes enhancing the role of the quarterback (QB rating has been going up over the last few years).

So, let's re-sign Alex for 2 -3 years and draft a rookie in the first or second round ...my preference at this point would be to draft a QB in the second (or third) round like Stanzi or Ponder. But if we have a shot at Locker or Cam Newton in the middle of the 1st, that works for me too.

If the rookie pans out and is a 90+ QB rating guy, then great. But if he's a bust, we still have Alex Smith to give you decent production.

Thoughts?

Alex is the best we have..so yeah, we should re-sign him. We should draft a rook.

Ugh,NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I don't want The Bust back period! Why can't you Alex lovers accept reality! He's not welcome in San Fran!

An 80-85 QB rating player is NOT a bust. Those are Phil Simms-type career stats, adjusted for today's more QB-friendly environment.

http://www.nfl.com/players/philsimms/profile?id=SIM342758

He's a bust! Everyone around football knows... Eddie knows it,Steve Young knows it... Only ones that think he's good are you lovers... He has a 18-30 record and a 2 and 6 record this year.. Why is it only people on here can't see what the rest of world sees!
With Alex Smith, we know what we get at this point: an average starter with a QB rating of 80 - 85 when mature and healthy: (385/641/4159/30/21 in '09 and '10)

Now, that's good enough to win some games with a good defense and running game, but it isn't enough to take you all the way...think Jake Delhomme in Carolina. This will be even more true in the future, with rule changes enhancing the role of the quarterback (QB rating has been going up over the last few years).

So, let's re-sign Alex for 2 -3 years and draft a rookie in the first or second round ...my preference at this point would be to draft a QB in the second (or third) round like Stanzi or Ponder. But if we have a shot at Locker or Cam Newton in the middle of the 1st, that works for me too.

If the rookie pans out and is a 90+ QB rating guy, then great. But if he's a bust, we still have Alex Smith to give you decent production.

Thoughts?

Alex is the best we have..so yeah, we should re-sign him. We should draft a rook.

Ugh,NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I don't want The Bust back period! Why can't you Alex lovers accept reality! He's not welcome in San Fran!

Lover? Tell me who is better on this team at QB? no one...so we keep the best and try to get something better. I don't see your logic...you'd rather just suck next year while we throw another inexperienced QB up against the wall to see if he sticks?

My logic?? How about 6 years of failure! How's that for logic!

So your logic says Smith is the only reason this team has failed? I think I will side with Jake on this one. I would only upgrade if it is a real upgrade, but I guess you guys that just like to blame Smith for all the teams woes cannot see past your irrational emotions to see there might not be anything better to be had on the FA market. Draft a rookie QB if there is one worth the pick, but the CB position is a bigger need in my opinion.
  • Jiks
THe question is, is why would Alex want to re-sign here in the first place? With all our douche bag fans. WHy not go somewhere where the fans are not known as the Whiners, and feel welcome? Why not go to a team with a legitiment coaching staff?

I don't think Alex would care to come back.
And people wonder why we haven't won for 8 years... Just look at Alex Lovers and you get your answer... To want to bring a Bust back for a 7th year is just stupid...

Again, Alex Smith has been a healthy, mature quarterback for two seasons now, and his average QB rating is 81 during that time. That's not a Bust.
And people wonder why we haven't won for 8 years... Just look at Alex Lovers and you get your answer... To want to bring a Bust back for a 7th year is just stupid...

Again, Alex Smith has been a healthy, mature quarterback for two seasons now, and his average QB rating is 81 during that time. That's not a Bust.

He has a 18-30 record... He's a Bust!

He was drafted in 2005 and its 2010 hmmm..

Thoughts?

An 80-85 QB rating player is NOT a bust. Those are Phil Simms-type career stats, adjusted for today's more QB-friendly environment.

http://www.nfl.com/players/philsimms/profile?id=SIM342758

He's a bust! Everyone around football knows... Eddie knows it,Steve Young knows it... Only ones that think he's good are you lovers... He has a 18-30 record and a 2 and 6 record this year.. Why is it only people on here can't see what the rest of world sees!

I look at production (QB Rating), and by that metric, he's an average NFL starter.

So no other position matters? Bottom-of-the-league offensive lines don't matter. A very weak receiving corps (until 2009) doesn't matter?
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
THe question is, is why would Alex want to re-sign here in the first place? With all our douche bag fans. WHy not go somewhere where the fans are not known as the Whiners, and feel welcome? Why not go to a team with a legitiment coaching staff?

Because we didn't cut him when the whole league labeled him as a bust.

I saw some Minneapolis Star article the other day that said the Vikes could make a move for Alex Smith in 2011...

QB's don't have W/L records, genius.

I saw some Minneapolis Star article the other day that said the Vikes could make a move for Alex Smith in 2011...

The Vikings can have him... I don't want him any where near the 49ers again..

So no other position matters? Bottom-of-the-league offensive lines don't matter. A very weak receiving corps (until 2009) doesn't matter?

It doesn't matter to him because it doesn't fit his opinion, which seems very shortsighted and uninformed, if not completely ignorant of all facts that do not support his indefensible position.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Thoughts?

Lover? Tell me who is better on this team at QB? no one...so we keep the best and try to get something better. I don't see your logic...you'd rather just suck next year while we throw another inexperienced QB up against the wall to see if he sticks?

My logic?? How about 6 years of failure! How's that for logic!

So your logic says Smith is the only reason this team has failed? I think I will side with Jake on this one. I would only upgrade if it is a real upgrade, but I guess you guys that just like to blame Smith for all the teams woes cannot see past your irrational emotions to see there might not be anything better to be had on the FA market. Draft a rookie QB if there is one worth the pick, but the CB position is a bigger need in my opinion.

Unless we have a shot at Locker, Newton, or Mallett with our #1, better off going w/ CB, then taking a QB in the 2nd or 3rd. Stanzi, Ponder, and Devlin are good pro prospects in the 2nd/3rd.

trade him for Bret Favre
Share 49ersWebzone