There are 218 users in the forums

Re-sign Alex, Draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd Rd (regardless of HC)

With Alex Smith, we know what we get at this point: an average starter with a QB rating of 80 - 85 when mature and healthy: (385/641/4159/30/21 in '09 and '10)

Now, that's good enough to win some games with a good defense and running game, but it isn't enough to take you all the way...think Jake Delhomme in Carolina. This will be even more true in the future, with rule changes enhancing the role of the quarterback (QB rating has been going up over the last few years).

So, let's re-sign Alex for 2 -3 years and draft a rookie in the first or second round ...my preference at this point would be to draft a QB in the second (or third) round like Stanzi or Ponder. But if we have a shot at Locker or Cam Newton in the middle of the 1st, that works for me too.

If the rookie pans out and is a 90+ QB rating guy, then great. But if he's a bust, we still have Alex Smith to give you decent production.

Thoughts?
don't we have like 3 of these threads
[ Edited by jreff22 on Dec 13, 2010 at 2:49 PM ]
Originally posted by jreff22:
don't we have like 3 of these threads

recently?
Originally posted by nickbradley:
With Alex Smith, we know what we get at this point: an average starter with a QB rating of 80 - 85 when mature and healthy: (385/641/4159/30/21 in '09 and '10)

Now, that's good enough to win some games with a good defense and running game, but it isn't enough to take you all the way...think Jake Delhomme in Carolina. This will be even more true in the future, with rule changes enhancing the role of the quarterback (QB rating has been going up over the last few years).

So, let's re-sign Alex for 2 -3 years and draft a rookie in the first or second round ...my preference at this point would be to draft a QB in the second (or third) round like Stanzi or Ponder. But if we have a shot at Locker or Cam Newton in the middle of the 1st, that works for me too.

If the rookie pans out and is a 90+ QB rating guy, then great. But if he's a bust, we still have Alex Smith to give you decent production.

Thoughts?

Alex is the best we have..so yeah, we should re-sign him. We should draft a rook.
Originally posted by Jakemall:

Thoughts?

Alex is the best we have..so yeah, we should re-sign him. We should draft a rook.

Ugh,NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I don't want The Bust back period! Why can't you Alex lovers accept reality! He's not welcome in San Fran!
Can we please wait until these last few games are over before suggesting we resign smith? I admit, he'll probably be better than most other qbs we'll be able to get in the FA market (if there even is a FA period), let's just see what happens the next couple weeks.
Originally posted by fakers23:

Thoughts?

Ugh,NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I don't want The Bust back period! Why can't you Alex lovers accept reality! He's not welcome in San Fran!

Lover? Tell me who is better on this team at QB? no one...so we keep the best and try to get something better. I don't see your logic...you'd rather just suck next year while we throw another inexperienced QB up against the wall to see if he sticks?
I'd like to see if we can trade or sign a vet QB. then draft a rookie to groom.
Alex would be my very last choice if we can't lure anyone else.

Thoughts?

Lover? Tell me who is better on this team at QB? no one...so we keep the best and try to get something better. I don't see your logic...you'd rather just suck next year while we throw another inexperienced QB up against the wall to see if he sticks?

My logic?? How about 6 years of failure! How's that for logic!
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=149903

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=149674

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=149682

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=149818

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=149683

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=149597

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=149572

I say we Resign Alex and draft a new QB regardless of the HC.
imo resign alex and troy smith, get rid of david carr, draft an early round QB and we'll be set. Troy still has unlimited potential imo

Thoughts?

An 80-85 QB rating player is NOT a bust. Those are Phil Simms-type career stats, adjusted for today's more QB-friendly environment.

http://www.nfl.com/players/philsimms/profile?id=SIM342758
And people wonder why we haven't won for 8 years... Just look at Alex Lovers and you get your answer... To want to bring a Bust back for a 7th year is just stupid...
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
imo resign alex and troy smith, get rid of david carr, draft an early round QB and we'll be set. Troy still has unlimited potential imo

FYI resign means to give up deliberately. Re-Sign means to sign them again.
Share 49ersWebzone