There are 119 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Wisconsin Badgers QB Scott Tolzien

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Lost in all the WI run game stuff is when he does throw he is very accurate, steady and reliable. He has a strong enough arm to make all the throws. He reads the field well. And he doesn't turn the ball over. IMO he would be a very high end backup at least. And we need that. We need 2 new QB's around here. We can cut all 3 that we have and get 2 new ones.

We could look at Locker / Mallett high. And then Tolzien later in the draft as our backup guy. That could give you 2 good QB's. I'm tired of our QB's sucking. If we spend 2 picks on it that may be worth it.

I told you guys this in December 2010 but nobody listened.....

Props to you for finding the old thread and wanting Tolzien. I was on the Froman bandwagon, but I now wish they would have locked up Tolzien in the draft. I would be very excited to have Kaepernick and Tolzien as the qb's of the futuure.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by maxsmart:
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Damn good thing we drafted Holcomb in the 7th instead of locking in Tolzien the Unitas Golden arm winner! Not

32 teams picked over 250 players, he wasnt one of them. I doubt any other fans save for maybe UW or some packers fans are complaining that their teams didnt draft him.

QB expert Jim Harbaugh wanted him. QB expert Norv Turner wanted him.
Apparently they liked him (he was the top-rated QB in the country). Why not spend a late 7th rd pick on him?

7/28: Norv Turner praised Tolzien after he completed several passes in the afternoon session. “He’s very accurate,” Turner said. “He’s very smart. I’m excited that we had an opportunity to sign him as a free agent, and he had a good day today.”

Turner impressed with rookie QB Tolzien:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/chargers-release-wr-buster-davis-as-camp-opens-turner-impressed-with-rookie-qb-tolzien/2011/07/28/gIQAFF25fI_story.html

8/5/11: Kevin Acee (San Diego Tribune) says the early returns likes UDFA QB Scott Tolzien are promising:
"This kid is sooo smart, so accurate, gets rid of the ball so quick," writes Acee. "He's Drew Brees without having to be forced into playing so soon." It sounds like the Chargers may have found Philip Rivers' backup of the future." http://www.signonsandiego.com/bigmailbag/chargers/

[ Edited by maxsmart on Aug 6, 2011 at 17:14:41 ]

apparently harbaugh didnt want him enough. I dont see why we didnt take a flyer on him. I liked him a lot better than Kaeperpick, that's for sure.

Honestly he may be better than Kaep. Kaep just is bigger with better physical skills. But Tolzien has pocket presense and accuracy.
He sure looked like it last night,, he was very accurate, with a lot of pressure around him by Dobbs and Aldon Smith. Hopefully this isnt the guy we always look at and think he slipped right through our fingers....,,,

or maybe SD cuts him and we make him our 3rd QB.

I listened to you (see reply #22 above); and we were right! Unfortunately, the 9ers didn't listen.
[ Edited by maxsmart on Sep 2, 2011 at 3:11 PM ]
Eric_Branch: FYI: Chargers have released QB Scott Tolzien. #49ers
The overhype in this thread is on par with the Kory Sheets thread.
Originally posted by PTulini:
Eric_Branch: FYI: Chargers have released QB Scott Tolzien. #49ers

Please please please claim him off of waiver wire. Would finally like our 3 qb's.
The guy looked like a smart pick up as soon as the draft ended and he was still unclaimed.

Every time he took the field in the preseason he looked like an even smarter pick up.

I can understand wanting a vet QB, but other than that I don't see any reason not to pick him up. And it sure looks like could sign McCown again later in the season if we needed to.
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
The guy looked like a smart pick up as soon as the draft ended and he was still unclaimed.

Every time he took the field in the preseason he looked like an even smarter pick up.

I can understand wanting a vet QB, but other than that I don't see any reason not to pick him up. And it sure looks like could sign McCown again later in the season if we needed to.
Since we kept Dobbs and Williams I guess we don't have room on the 53 for Tolzien.
I would sign him to the practice squad. He's worth that. He can compete for the #2 / #3 QB slot over time. You have seen how he is. Smart, accurate and a good decision maker. He can make the throws and is big enough. He was and is underrated IMO. His upside is good especially with Harbaugh coaching him.
Originally posted by RonRon:
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:

Since we kept Dobbs and Williams I guess we don't have room on the 53 for Tolzien.

i see that we have signed him to the 53 and dropped Kristick to the PS,, good move!
I would sign him to the practice squad. He's worth that. He can compete for the #2 / #3 QB slot over time. You have seen how he is. Smart, accurate and a good decision maker. He can make the throws and is big enough. He was and is underrated IMO. His upside is good especially with Harbaugh coaching him.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I didn't know that Tolzien was in his rookie season. I thought for sure this was his 2 or 3 season in the league. Championship.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Sep 5, 2011 at 6:31 AM ]
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Damn good thing we drafted Holcomb in the 7th instead of locking in Tolzien the Unitas Golden arm winner! Not

32 teams picked over 250 players, he wasnt one of them. I doubt any other fans save for maybe UW or some packers fans are complaining that their teams didnt draft him.

QB expert Jim Harbaugh wanted him. QB expert Norv Turner wanted him.
Apparently they liked him (he was the top-rated QB in the country). Why not spend a late 7th rd pick on him?

7/28: Norv Turner praised Tolzien after he completed several passes in the afternoon session. "He's very accurate," Turner said. He's very smart. I'm excited that we had an opportunity to sign him as a free agent, and he had a good day today."

Turner impressed with rookie QB Tolzien:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/chargers-release-wr-buster-davis-as-camp-opens-turner-impressed-with-rookie-qb-tolzien/2011/07/28/gIQAFF25fI_story.html

8/5/11: Kevin Acee (San Diego Tribune) says the early returns likes UDFA QB Scott Tolzien are promising:
"This kid is sooo smart, so accurate, gets rid of the ball so quick," writes Acee. "He's Drew Brees without having to be forced into playing so soon." It sounds like the Chargers may have found Philip Rivers' backup of the future." http://www.signonsandiego.com/bigmailbag/chargers/

[ Edited by maxsmart on Aug 6, 2011 at 17:14:41 ]

apparently harbaugh didnt want him enough. I dont see why we didnt take a flyer on him. I liked him a lot better than Kaeperpick, that's for sure.

Question to Jim Harbaugh: What do you like about Tolzien?
"I liked him in the eleven on eleven from college, a winner. I liked his mind. I liked how smart he was. I liked him when I went to the combine and there was nobody out on the field yet, but he came out early and was out there throwing the ball around. He was there every day throwing to the backs or to the receivers. He was there on the quarterback?s day. He was always the first one out of the locker room just throwing balls, must have been for four to five hours. That?s what I noticed first, what I first noticed, first really liked. Liked his tape, liked the way he gets the ball out quick. Liked the way he played against us the other night. Wanted to sign him, thinking hard about drafting him in the draft and then he was a priority free agent signing for us, but we weren't able to get it done. We got him now."
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/09/what-harbaugh-likes-about-scott-tolzien.html
[ Edited by maxsmart on Sep 10, 2011 at 3:05 PM ]

I listened to you (see reply #22 above); and we were right! Unfortunately, the 9ers didn't listen.

Ya they totally ignores him
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:

Ya they totally ignores him

Yes, it appears that the 49es brass did agree with us that Tolzien was worth a draft pick (as Harbaugh stated = "thinking hard about drafting him in the draft"). They got lucky that nobody else picked him up. I don't think he's the savior, but I do think a 7th rd pick was wise. However, they got lucky and it worked out even better for them.
Idk exactly why but I really wanna see what this kid could do on the field