LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 271 users in the forums

Wisconsin Badgers QB Scott Tolzien

[ Edited by PTulini on Sep 4, 2011 at 6:55 AM ]
Lost in all the WI run game stuff is when he does throw he is very accurate, steady and reliable. He has a strong enough arm to make all the throws. He reads the field well. And he doesn't turn the ball over. IMO he would be a very high end backup at least. And we need that. We need 2 new QB's around here. We can cut all 3 that we have and get 2 new ones.

We could look at Locker / Mallett high. And then Tolzien later in the draft as our backup guy. That could give you 2 good QB's. I'm tired of our QB's sucking. If we spend 2 picks on it that may be worth it.
good player. great guy.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sportscenter/post/_/id/86935/the-meaning-of-friendship
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
good player. great guy.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sportscenter/post/_/id/86935/the-meaning-of-friendship

Wow, great story! I hope we draft this kid now. He's worth a late round pick, in my opinion. (rounds 5-7)
[ Edited by PTulini on Dec 13, 2010 at 8:11 AM ]
oh man. i just teared up at work. what a great story. sounds like tolzien is a solid dude.
Looks to be a Luck clone. I hope if Luck is too pricey we go after guys like this 2 qbs and get some other needs like corner and DL etc. I cannot see trading for Luck if the price is too high. I thought it would be a good idea to position the niners earlier to get a qb but Jed never thinks ahead.
Same with JJ Watt... wouldn't hate if we grabbed him in round 2.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2010/10/14/wisconsin-watt-goes-pizza-boy-punisher/

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1174342/index.htm#%23

As for Tolzein if we get him in the mid rounds I would be happy. It depends on the coach though. He excels in play action, knows how to use the TEs. He isn't really a spread type or deep ball guy.

Edit: I would suggest reading the 2nd article. JJ what is also involved with Jaxson and has filed the papers necessary to start his own foundation. He hopes to spread it across the country when he makes it to the NFL. How many college players you know want to or have started their own foundation?
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Dec 13, 2010 at 2:47 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Same with JJ Watt... wouldn't hate if we grabbed him in round 2.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2010/10/14/wisconsin-watt-goes-pizza-boy-punisher/

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1174342/index.htm#%23

As for Tolzein if we get him in the mid rounds I would be happy. It depends on the coach though. He excels in play action, knows how to use the TEs. He isn't really a spread type or deep ball guy.

J.J. Watt is an outstanding prospect moving up the draft boards rapidly. He may go late first now. Some projections have him mid 1st. He's 6'6" 295 lbs. and is a real good athlete with a non stop motor. I wouldn't count on him being there in round 2.

Tolzein in the mid rounds would be fine. He can at least be a real good #2 IMO. He's real steady and accurate. He takes care of the ball.
I'm glad somebody mentioned this dude. Tolzien is CRAZY ACCURATE. The only thing that scares me about him is that almost every time he misses a throw, it's picked off. I'm not sure why that is. But he comp[letes about 75 percent of his passes and his pick total is way higher than you would expect. Like the Michigan game, he went like 14 for 15 with a pick., HUH? Either way, he looks like he will have an NFL career.
Originally posted by TommyFrazier:
I'm glad somebody mentioned this dude. Tolzien is CRAZY ACCURATE. The only thing that scares me about him is that almost every time he misses a throw, it's picked off. I'm not sure why that is. But he comp[letes about 75 percent of his passes and his pick total is way higher than you would expect. Like the Michigan game, he went like 14 for 15 with a pick., HUH? Either way, he looks like he will have an NFL career.

He's very accurate and very steady. Makes good decisions. He's underrated IMO. I've watched a lot of Wisconsin football. And of course he is underrated because of the power running game. But when you do throw he can make it and is accurate. I like him a lot mid to late in the draft. He can be at least a good #2 QB. And we certainly need that. I wouldn't mind having a new good backup even. We could use 2 new QB's. A good starter and a good backup.

I want to see how Tolzien does when Wisconsin plays TCU at the Rose Bowl.
  • cgida
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Lost in all the WI run game stuff is when he does throw he is very accurate, steady and reliable. He has a strong enough arm to make all the throws. He reads the field well. And he doesn't turn the ball over. IMO he would be a very high end backup at least. And we need that. We need 2 new QB's around here. We can cut all 3 that we have and get 2 new ones.

We could look at Locker / Mallett high. And then Tolzien later in the draft as our backup guy. That could give you 2 good QB's. I'm tired of our QB's sucking. If we spend 2 picks on it that may be worth it.

Sounds like Shaun Hill 2.0
Originally posted by PTulini:

TODAY!

[ Edited by PTulini on Jan 1, 2011 at 13:36:34 ]

TODAY!

Not a great game, but most of his throws were still pretty accurate.

He was 12/21 for 156 yards.

TODAY!

Not a great game, but most of his throws were still pretty accurate.

He was 12/21 for 156 yards.

Had about 3 plus drops... his problem this game was holding the ball too long a few times.

I would definitely take a look at Dalton as well. He's a winner, has a decent arm, smart with the football... one of the problems though is he is he will be 24 early into next season. Might not be ready to play until 26 or 27.

If you are going to look at him from this game though the Badgers DBs played off 10-15 yards basically every play including the 3rd and shorts. That's becoming more common in the NFL but if the CBs play bump and run it's much tougher.

Edit: Also, I mentioned JJ Watt and what type of player person he is. If you guys happen to find the video of his post rose bowl game press conference from big ten network watch it.

[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jan 1, 2011 at 19:34:06 ]
Share 49ersWebzone