LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

AB's 3rd Mock of the season

Originally posted by EscuelaVieja:
Originally posted by Gavintech:

Outside of the Bay Area no one is hyping Luck as the "next Peyton Manning".

Really? I could have sworn that Sporting News was a national publication. I had no idea it was local.

Quote:
1. Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford
Luck is advanced in terms of poise and pocket presence, especially surprising for a redshirt sophomore. He has all the physical tools, yes, but he also has everything above the shoulders an NFL quarterback must possess. He goes through his progressions, moves defenders with his eyes and makes great decisions. He also has been in Stanford's pro-style offense for three years, making him more prepared than most college quarterbacks to enter the NFL. He is reminiscent of the Colts' Peyton Manning and the Falcons' Matt Ryan when they entered the league.
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2010-09/draft-dish/story/draft-dish-stanford-qb-andrew-luck-the-drafts-most-nfl-ready-player

interesting because he hasn't entered the league yet

Really? I could have sworn that Sporting News was a national publication. I had no idea it was local.

Quote:
Luck is advanced in terms of poise and pocket presence, especially surprising for a redshirt sophomore. He has all the physical tools, yes, but he also has everything above the shoulders an NFL quarterback must possess. He goes through his progressions, moves defenders with his eyes and makes great decisions. He also has been in Stanford's pro-style offense for three years, making him more prepared than most college quarterbacks to enter the NFL. He is reminiscent of the Colts' Peyton Manning and the Falcons' Matt Ryan when they entered the league.
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2010-09/draft-dish/story/draft-dish-stanford-qb-andrew-luck-the-drafts-most-nfl-ready-player

That's saying that, like Manning and Ryan, he has played in pro-style offense in college and is more prepared for the NFL than college QBs that didn't play in a pro-style offense.

Not that he's the next Peyton Manning. Nowhere in what you posted even hints that they writer thinks he's the next Peyton Manning.

Quote:

That's saying that, like Manning and Ryan, he has played in pro-style offense in college and is more prepared for the NFL than college QBs that didn't play in a pro-style offense.

Not that he's the next Peyton Manning. Nowhere in what you posted even hints that they writer thinks he's the next Peyton Manning.

Wow. Way to split hairs.

Quote:

Wow. Way to split hairs.

Split hairs? It's knowing how to read. There is no one, outside of starving 49er and Raider fans, that are saying Luck will be in the conversation as the best NFL QB of all time, which is where Peyton sits already, and he's no where near done. Your link didn't even point to the idea that he's the next Manning. Only that he's more NFL ready than other top college QBs, like Manning was when he came out. It doesn't compare the two QBs to each other in any other way.

Quote:

Wow. Way to split hairs.

Split hairs? It's knowing how to read. There is no one, outside of starving 49er and Raider fans, that are saying Luck will be in the conversation as the best NFL QB of all time, which is where Peyton sits already, and he's no where near done. Your link didn't even point to the idea that he's the next Manning. Only that he's more NFL ready than other top college QBs, like Manning was when he came out. It doesn't compare the two QBs to each other in any other way.

You are right. Please excuse my miscue, nobody but fans are calling Luck the next Manning and my bad for using an article that compared Luck as a prospect to Peyton Manning. Nobody said he is going to be the next Manning at the NFL level, only that he is the best COLLEGE prospect since Manning and some view him as an even superior one.

Quote:

Wow. Way to split hairs.

You are right. Please excuse my miscue, nobody but fans are calling Luck the next Manning and my bad for using an article that compared Luck as a prospect to Peyton Manning. Nobody said he is going to be the next Manning at the NFL level, only that he is the best COLLEGE prospect since Manning and some view him as an even superior one.

Have to say I agree with Mr. Vieja on this one. They compared Luck to Peyton basically, saying that he's that type of prospect that could be a franchise QB. Nothing more needs to be said.

btw I love Manning but he's not better than Joe.
"He's the best quarterback AND elite prospect -- including LaDainian Tomlinson, Steve Hutchinson, Calvin Johnson, Ndamukong Suh -- I've scouted, including every Senior Bowl since 2001."

"It is hyperbole to compare Luck to any of the all-time greats. Luck, for as good as he is, obviously hasn't done a thing at the professional level.

A number of scouts over the long weekend made it clear that the comparison to some of the all-time greats aren't merely media hype -- the scouts are drawing parallels, too.

Luck's size, arm strength and surprising speed earn high grades from scouts. His accuracy, ability to read defenses and poise are earning even more exemplary marks."

Rob Rang

Quote:

Wow. Way to split hairs.

The ONLY comparison to Manning is that he's played in a more pro-like offense. Nothing else. PERIOD. Everything else you're saying you are making up.
i would be pissed if the hawks and zona get newton and locker, that would suck for us. I see us taking newton or mallet if they fall to us anyway
"Theres" should have an apostrophe.

Originally posted by jojomellon:
Theres no way DET would pass Peterson and the Prince for a DE. Just no way.

And the word is 'their'

Also hate GB taking yet another NT. They just took Raji and still have Pickett moved over to End. Lots more needs in other places.

JAX spent their top two picks of 09 on T's, both of whom are playing well. They have one of the worst secondaries in the league as well. But another Tackle it is!

• okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by okdkid:
Not a slight on your draft, but just in general...

1) No way the Panthers pass on Luck if given the opportunity. It is a pipe dream, and a dumb football decision, to think that they won't pick Luck just because they took Clausen. You can't compare the two players. That line of thought is more wishful thinking than anything based in logic. No football team in their right mind would pass on the guy hyped as the next Peyton Manning simply because they're waiting on a 2nd year, 2nd round guy to pan out. Won't happen. ESPECIALLY since that team will very likely have a new head coach. He will bring in his own QB.

2) One way or another Luck will be the first overall pick. Once in a decade QBs like him don't fall because a horrible team has needs elsewhere. Those teams either bite the bullet and take him or trade with somebody who will.

________

I don't live in the Bay Area.

They absolutely, 100% are.
1 Carolina 1-10
Andrew Luck- This is a no-brainer. The top QB prospect in a long time goes to a team that has a number of struggling vets, and a second round rookie that has proven to be

2 Detroit 2-9
Da'Quan Bowers- Many think that Peterson is the choice here, but a CB has never been drafted this high. Bowers helps on the worst pass rushes in the NFL after a sensational off-season workout.

3 Cincinnati 2-9
Nick Fairley- The Bengals need a dominant DL, and Fairley is the best of this crop. He has been virtually unblockable this season, and teams will notice the impact of Suh on the Lions defense in 2010.

4 Buffalo 2-9
Patrick Peterson- The Bills finally attempt to correct their CB play, and Peterson is easily the best CB on the board.

5 Arizona 3-8
AJ Green- The Cards have never looked the same since Boldin left the squad, and Breaston is best as a third WR. Green takes so much pressure off of Fitzgerald.

6 Denver 3-8
Adrian Clayborn- The Broncos DL needs retooling, and Clayborn can play in either a 3-4 system or 4-3 system regardless of what happens to the DC this offseason.

7 Dallas 3-8
Derek Sherrod- Marc Colombo is long in the tooth and injury prone, and the Cowboys need some serious work to retool their OL. There will be an OT selected in the top ten picks, and I believe this is the player and the correct slot area.

8 San Francisco 4-7
Marcel Dareus- The Niners may lose Franklin in free agency, and the team, whether in a 3-4, or 4-3 defense, needs a youth infusion on the DL.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

8 San Francisco 4-7
Marcel Dareus- The Niners may lose Franklin in free agency, and the team, whether in a 3-4, or 4-3 defense, needs a youth infusion on the DL.

No love for Prince?
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
1 Carolina 1-10
Andrew Luck- This is a no-brainer. The top QB prospect in a long time goes to a team that has a number of struggling vets, and a second round rookie that has proven to be

2 Detroit 2-9
Da'Quan Bowers- Many think that Peterson is the choice here, but a CB has never been drafted this high. Bowers helps on the worst pass rushes in the NFL after a sensational off-season workout.

3 Cincinnati 2-9
Nick Fairley- The Bengals need a dominant DL, and Fairley is the best of this crop. He has been virtually unblockable this season, and teams will notice the impact of Suh on the Lions defense in 2010.

4 Buffalo 2-9
Patrick Peterson- The Bills finally attempt to correct their CB play, and Peterson is easily the best CB on the board.

5 Arizona 3-8
AJ Green- The Cards have never looked the same since Boldin left the squad, and Breaston is best as a third WR. Green takes so much pressure off of Fitzgerald.

6 Denver 3-8
Adrian Clayborn- The Broncos DL needs retooling, and Clayborn can play in either a 3-4 system or 4-3 system regardless of what happens to the DC this offseason.

7 Dallas 3-8
Derek Sherrod- Marc Colombo is long in the tooth and injury prone, and the Cowboys need some serious work to retool their OL. There will be an OT selected in the top ten picks, and I believe this is the player and the correct slot area.

8 San Francisco 4-7

If arizona gets AJ I will go friggin balistic.

And agreed with jreff, why no Amukamara?
Originally posted by jojomellon:
Theres no way DET would pass Peterson and the Prince for a DE. Just no way.

And the word is 'their'

Also hate GB taking yet another NT. They just took Raji and still have Pickett moved over to End. Lots more needs in other places.

JAX spent their top two picks of 09 on T's, both of whom are playing well. They have one of the worst secondaries in the league as well. But another Tackle it is!

NO WAY NO WAY
Share 49ersWebzone