There are 144 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Christian Ponder Bandwagon

• JDog
  • Veteran
He will never last until our current pick spot in the 2nd round though.
Originally posted by JDog:
Originally posted by valrod33:

WE MUST TRADE DOWN TO LATE FIRST EARLY SECOND!

[ Edited by 9erguy on Mar 17, 2011 at 13:38:38 ]
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erguy:

I'm doubting he gets past seattle at 25th if carroll gets wind of harbaugh liking ponder lol. I know they have other needs, but replacing an aging/oft injured Hasselbeck is one of them. Which is why I'm doubting the NE deal is the best for us.

Yeah, they could go kaepernick or anyone else in 2nd/3rd because short term hasselbeck is still a good qb when healthy, and defense or a receiver in first, but like us-if they believe ponder's a few tiers ahead of the others why would they wait?

[ Edited by mike on Mar 17, 2011 at 18:56:40 ]
I find it interesting that Jimmy hasn't said boo about CP... Jimmy likes poker, and I think he is holding CP close to his vest...
Originally posted by submoa:
I find it interesting that Jimmy hasn't said boo about CP... Jimmy likes poker, and I think he is holding CP close to his vest...

IMO, I think Ponder is the guy we are targeting. I dont believe for one second that Newton or Gabbert are options for us. I think Harbaugh is targeting a QB in the 2nd or late first by trading back in.

Ponder
Kaepernick
Dalton
Stanzi

Thats how i think we are gonna go
yup, I agree...

I like Dalton as well but I don't think he is as mentally quick as CK and CP and I know Jimmy likes his QBs smart.
Harbaugh's chief scout was at Ponder's pro day...and I'm reasonably sure he told Coach how well he sees Ponder fitting into his WCO. JH has seen most of the other top-rated QB's, with Mallett being an exception. I've never seen him as a legitimate candidate for our offense...but once I saw Ponder at the Senior Bowl, and again at the combine, I was convinced he'd be a guy to take the reins. With his stock rising, agree, trading down with the right partner (before Seattle, or other teams needing a QB) is the path they'll need to take to get him. Locker's a possibility, too...Harbaugh knows him well, having coached against him since 2007. But, Ponder has none of the accuracy issues Locker's had...and in my mind, would be the best fit.
Originally posted by mike:

I'm doubting he gets past seattle at 25th if carroll gets wind of harbaugh liking ponder lol. I know they have other needs, but replacing an aging/oft injured Hasselbeck is one of them. Which is why I'm doubting the NE deal is the best for us.

Yeah, they could go kaepernick or anyone else in 2nd/3rd because short term hasselbeck is still a good qb when healthy, and defense or a receiver in first, but like us-if they believe ponder's a few tiers ahead of the others why would they wait?

I tend to agree. I project Ponder going to Seattle at 25.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

Hopefully Seattle trades for Kolb. There is a report that a NFC West team has an offer for a 1st rounder for Kolb.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

Hopefully Seattle trades for Kolb. There is a report that a NFC West team has an offer for a 1st rounder for Kolb.

Yeah seattle makes sense, no other teams are going to give up a first, us and arizona are too high up to care and everyone else toward the bottom are already pretty much set at qb.

I'm not worried about kolb in our division considering the lack of weapons they've got for him to throw to compared to philly. Hasselbeck will outplay him until the usual injuries strike.

This would free up our options of teams we can safely down to. Could perhaps pull off that new england deal or something.
The Peahawks are in a bit of a pickle... they can't trade their first round pick for Kolb if there is no CBA (at least that is my understanding)... so do they take Ponder or wait to trade next year's pick for Kolb?

IMO, I think Ponder is the guy we are targeting. I dont believe for one second that Newton or Gabbert are options for us. I think Harbaugh is targeting a QB in the 2nd or late first by trading back in.

Ponder
Kaepernick
Dalton
Stanzi

Thats how i think we are gonna go

I have been saying that all this talk is smoke and mirrors. They may be trying to stir up interest in in gabbert and newton so that if the player they want is not there, and one or two of the QBs are there, someone will offer an enticing trade package for the niners to move down.
The Peahawks are in a bit of a pickle... they can't trade their first round pick for Kolb if there is no CBA (at least that is my understanding)... so do they take Ponder or wait to trade next year's pick for Kolb?

I am hoping they go for hometown boy Locker
Tuesday, March 29, at 8:00 PM ET - NFL Network

'Game Changers' with Mooch, Ponder and Gabbert.

Cant wait!