There are 87 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Your vote for Top QB in 2011 (for the 49ers)

Unless Mike Johnson is the second coming of Mike Shanahan, the niners are probably going to crap out the season and pick in the top 10. If that happens, Singletary is gone (his contract is up anyway) and a (probable) offensive coach will be brought in -- there is enough talent on defense.

With that being said, the new coach (and probably GM too) will take a QB. Lucky for us, this is an excellent year for QBs.

The top four QBs, consensus, are Luck (Stanford), Locker (UW), Mallett (Ark), and Ponter (Fla State) -- the rest (Stanzi, others) are probably 2nd or 3rd round picks.

Who would you take? Personally, I would take Luck and go back to the West Coast Offense with either Harbaugh or Gruden or Billick. But Luck will probably go #1, so I would go with Mallett after that -- his rocket arm and mobility in the pocket are too much to pass up. After that, I go with Ponder because I think Locker is too raw and erratic to be a safe choice.

Thoughts?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I don't think Luck is coming out, so it has to be between Mallett, Locker and Ponder in that order.
Originally posted by mayo49:
I don't think Luck is coming out, so it has to be between Mallett, Locker and Ponder in that order.

The only reason Luck would stay would be to avoid going to a really sad franchise like Buffalo or Cleveland (if they're picking #1).

What does he have left to accomplish at Stanford?
Originally posted by nickbradley:

The only reason Luck would stay would be to avoid going to a really sad franchise like Buffalo or Cleveland (if they're picking #1).

He said he wanted to get his degree.
Question #1: Which is the most accurate?

Question #2: Which has the quickest release?

Any team picking first overall, whether this year, or next, is a really sad franchise. He stated he wants to get a degree, and won't even consider going pro
  • titan
  • Veteran
I'm a Ryan Mallet fan! A good passing Offensive coordinator could make us look like the Colts on offense. I seen him throw over 85 yards during warm up last year with ease. I seen them practice with no dropped passed from his receivers. He is immature and has a lot of fun, but a solid head coach and with his own maturation he could be very dangerous in a passing NFL league. He is the prototype QB the NFL offensive attack is gearing towards to. With his arm strength he may get more total yards and offensive movement than Smith with just tossing the ball and getting a pass interference call. Right now he has shifty receivers, but no true deep threat. If we can get him and a WR with speed like Jackson that would be pretty sick. Incase we get luck that would be awesome also! either would be better than what we are baby sitting right now.
Right now I would say Luck (but who knows if he comes out), then I am not sure on Locker/Mallett. Distant would be Ponder, Stanzi, Devlin, etc. Honestly, depending on if we have a new coach or not we could end up picking a vet up (not much out there) or trading for a guy like Kyle Orton if they want Tebow to start.

New coach... I bet we take QB
Singletary... Alex or Sign/trade for vet
I think I actually might take Stanzi in the 2nd or 3rd to develop and then use the 1st rounder on a corner or a pass rusher.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
I think I actually might take Stanzi in the 2nd or 3rd to develop and then use the 1st rounder on a corner or a pass rusher.

Stanzi has actually been playing pretty good, he has a pretty decent arm with a good release. I'm also thinking 2nd or 3rd round pick.
Locker>>>>> Smith

Sngs contract is not up he signed a 4 year deal
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

Any team picking first overall, whether this year, or next, is a really sad franchise. He stated he wants to get a degree, and won't even consider going pro

Not even if his HC was hired by an NFL franchise and that same NFL franchise has already traded into the 1st spot in the draft to ensure their pick of QB?

What?

A guy can dream can't he.......
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

If we had the first pick, he'd have to consider coming out. Niners are probably his favorite team.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Oct 1, 2010 at 3:19 PM ]