LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 307 users in the forums

Analysis: 49ers' Positions of Need in 2011 and Prospects to Fill Them

• 4ML
  • Veteran
I think if we continue to play like s**t, we should reach out to Harbaugh and if he is ready to leave Stanford, Luck will def. come out as well.

Then Niners will have to leap-frog teams like Bills, Browns, and Jags to get to Luck. I don't see us finishing with a worse record with any of those teams.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
While I'd love to get Luck or Mallett, I think the more realistic pick for us a Ponder. He would definetly be an upgrade over Smith and should be available in the middle of the first round.
How does everyone all of a sudden forget about Locker, after 1 bad game??? I'd take him over any other player in this draft. Including Luck!
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
How does everyone all of a sudden forget about Locker, after 1 bad game??? I'd take him over any other player in this draft. Including Luck!

No one has forgotten about Locker. I still think Locker is better than Mallet and Ponder. I also think you are delusional if you would take Locker over Luck. Locker is too raw compared to Luck. Locker has tons of talent but he needs more work. Possibly, even sit behind a vet for a year. Even though I doubt that will happen with the talent he has. I still believe that Luck is more polished and ready to play in the pros than Locker. So that is why I would take Luck over Locker.
Hey OTC great list I was just wondering if you could do a quick overview on what you think of this class of pass rushers?
You forgot McKillop at ILB
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by al49erfan:
Two things...

Frist, i believe it is Kaepernick but i may be wrong.
Second why those three for you QB?
-Luck is easy, but TJ Yates and Kaepernick(who i like)? What do you think about Jerrod Johnson (who seems similar to Kaepernick), Pat Devlin, or the three other big names (Mallett, Locker, Ponder)

You're right, it's Kaepernick. Thanks for the correction, I through this together rather quickly and didn't catch it initially.

Now as for Jerrod Johnson, I'm not sure yet. I need to see more of him before I can make any absolute evaluations of the kid. But as for Mallet and Ponder, I haven't been impressed with those two at all. Locker had one rough game, but I think he'll be fine and still has the makings of an early round pick.

Luck may not enter, but I'm just throwing out some names to keep an eye on in general. These are players we should be tracking the progress of to see if they can consistently put up good numbers the rest of this season.

Can i ask how locker, after going 4/20, is still going to be a top pick? Maybe its just me but im really not that high on the guy. He seems to have the same accuracy issues as other QB and is a one and done QB. One and done meaning make one read and then take off down field. Maybe thats me not looking at him properly because im not a scout. I honestly dont see the QB i see an athlete (started a safety for awhile when he was hurt). I see him like a Tim Tebow were i think its a big risk if you take him to be your QB of a future.

That's the one rough game I'm talking about. I think Locker can bounce back. He has the rest of the season to prove he's better than that. I expect him to get invited to the Senior Bowl and fans will be able to better gauge him there.

I wouldn't give up on him just yet. Now, saying he's a lock to go in the first, I won't do that. When I say an "early pick" -- Right now I'm looking at the late 1st to 2nd round area. But I doubt he falls beyond that 2nd unless his season goes downhill and his combine workouts go terribly.

How does a player go from a sure-fire first overall pick to a likely top 64 pick, after 1 game? Do you think he ranks above Luck?

He doesn't. He was never a lock to go first overall coming into this season, but he had to play lights out all year to carry no doubt with the scouts. That game will cause some doubt, but like all these players, their stock shifts up and down all season based on their performance.

Luck may be the better all around QB when you look at potential and upside, but it's dang close. Locker would be my favorite of the bunch with Luck a close second.

Questions are swirling around Jake after the bad game, but if he comes out and plays terrific this week, he'll go right back to the reputation of sure-fire first rounder. Right now people are just saying "I don't know."

I see a lot of potential in this QB class, but I worry about them all. There's something scary about them all, especially Mallet.
Originally posted by jreff22:
You forgot McKillop at ILB

I like Keaton Kristick as a backup too. He seemed to be always around the ball, when I saw him play in the pre-season. Needs to add some weight in the off season.
[ Edited by WerschingMachine on Sep 28, 2010 at 10:13 AM ]
Originally posted by drake49er:

No one has forgotten about Locker. I still think Locker is better than Mallet and Ponder. I also think you are delusional if you would take Locker over Luck. Locker is too raw compared to Luck. Locker has tons of talent but he needs more work. Possibly, even sit behind a vet for a year. Even though I doubt that will happen with the talent he has. I still believe that Luck is more polished and ready to play in the pros than Locker. So that is why I would take Luck over Locker.

Look up the rack record for undrclassman QBs in the NFL. Big Ben being the ONLY exception
Two things...

-Luck is easy, but TJ Yates and Kaepernick(who i like)? What do you think about Jerrod Johnson (who seems similar to Kaepernick), Pat Devlin, or the three other big names (Mallett, Locker, Ponder)

You're right, it's Kaepernick. Thanks for the correction, I through this together rather quickly and didn't catch it initially.

Now as for Jerrod Johnson, I'm not sure yet. I need to see more of him before I can make any absolute evaluations of the kid. But as for Mallet and Ponder, I haven't been impressed with those two at all. Locker had one rough game, but I think he'll be fine and still has the makings of an early round pick.

Luck may not enter, but I'm just throwing out some names to keep an eye on in general. These are players we should be tracking the progress of to see if they can consistently put up good numbers the rest of this season.

Can i ask how locker, after going 4/20, is still going to be a top pick? Maybe its just me but im really not that high on the guy. He seems to have the same accuracy issues as other QB and is a one and done QB. One and done meaning make one read and then take off down field. Maybe thats me not looking at him properly because im not a scout. I honestly dont see the QB i see an athlete (started a safety for awhile when he was hurt). I see him like a Tim Tebow were i think its a big risk if you take him to be your QB of a future.

That's the one rough game I'm talking about. I think Locker can bounce back. He has the rest of the season to prove he's better than that. I expect him to get invited to the Senior Bowl and fans will be able to better gauge him there.

I wouldn't give up on him just yet. Now, saying he's a lock to go in the first, I won't do that. When I say an "early pick" -- Right now I'm looking at the late 1st to 2nd round area. But I doubt he falls beyond that 2nd unless his season goes downhill and his combine workouts go terribly.

How does a player go from a sure-fire first overall pick to a likely top 64 pick, after 1 game? Do you think he ranks above Luck?

He doesn't. He was never a lock to go first overall coming into this season, but he had to play lights out all year to carry no doubt with the scouts. That game will cause some doubt, but like all these players, their stock shifts up and down all season based on their performance.

Luck may be the better all around QB when you look at potential and upside, but it's dang close. Locker would be my favorite of the bunch with Luck a close second.

Questions are swirling around Jake after the bad game, but if he comes out and plays terrific this week, he'll go right back to the reputation of sure-fire first rounder. Right now people are just saying "I don't know."

I see a lot of potential in this QB class, but I worry about them all. There's something scary about them all, especially Mallet.

I was watching the Stanford game and does luck not have very good arm stength? it seems like he didnt really zip it out there when throwing out routs and stuff. I also thought he could have had 3 ints in the first he threw a couple balls "up for grabs" on of them the TE made the TD catch the other two were in double coverage and just knocked down... But his football look pretty good and his ability to look off a safety looks really good as well too... Is this what your seeing as well?

The only thing that i dont like about Mallet is his accuracy and the fact that alot of his yards come off of catches where there isnt a defender within 10 yards (its a 7 yard pass that goes 60 yards). But he can throw it with the best of them and his footwork seem better then alot of people give him credit for....

Thats just my two cents on these two QBs.

can we draft a Real Coach
Me wants Patrick Peterson. And then Devlin in Rd 2. And then OLB/DE in rd 2 when we trade up. And then speedy players. But first, Jim Harbaugh.
  • dj43
Two things...

That is another reason I hope Mike Johnson gets Smith to perform at an acceptable level.

With the extreme need for a pass rusher and a reliable NT, along with a shut down corner and speedy wide receiver, if they have to draft a QB with their first pick, another MAJOR need will go unsolved. So if they take a chance on a QB that has some question marks after his name, that would not be good. I'd rather take my chances with Smith and grab a pass rusher - that has been a huge need for the last 8 years.
Originally posted by dj43:

That is another reason I hope Mike Johnson gets Smith to perform at an acceptable level.

With the extreme need for a pass rusher and a reliable NT, along with a shut down corner and speedy wide receiver, if they have to draft a QB with their first pick, another MAJOR need will go unsolved. So if they take a chance on a QB that has some question marks after his name, that would not be good. I'd rather take my chances with Smith and grab a pass rusher - that has been a huge need for the last 8 years.

Agreed. I don't want us to have to draft another QB. We so badly need Smith to step it up. I'm hoping and praying he can so we can focus on other dire needs and finally put QB farther down the list -- for sure. As long as our new OL-men develop right, are biggest needs really will just be at Pass Rusher, NT, and CB/S. We also need a true #2 WR. Morgan is not good enough for that role.

Originally posted by epdavis:
Hey OTC great list I was just wondering if you could do a quick overview on what you think of this class of pass rushers?

When it comes to the Hybrid Rushers we're looking for, I'm not sure it's as good as years past, but it's still too early to tell. There are some good players that have the size you'd look for, but the problem is that I have serious doubts about the ability for some of these guys to convert from DE to OLB and drop back. Many of the pure OLB prospects do not possess the typical 3-4 linebacker size, checking in at the 230 pound range. We need guys near 240, and there aren't many out there like that. Most of the undersized DE's I've been scouting don't appear to have the change of direction ability to successfully convert to linebacker.

Here's an initial list of about 10 guys we could be tracking (I'll rank in order of preference):

1. Akeem Ayers (UCLA), 6-4 254 4.68 *
2. Jeremy Beal (Oklahoma), 6-3 260 4.74
3. Ryan Kerrigan (Purdue), 6-4 263 4.82
4. K.J. Wright (Mississippi State), 6-3 245 4.68
5. Mark Herzlich (Boston College), 6-4 245 4.75
6. Jabaal Sheard (Pittsburgh), 6-3 255 4.76
7. Brian Duncan (Texas Tech), 6-0 240 4.73
8. Mason Foster (Washington), 6-2 240 4.73
9. Cliff Matthews (South Carolina), 6-3 262 4.77
10. Bruce Miller (Central Florida, 6-1 248 4.75

Note: I didn't include Quinn on here because he's more of a 4-3 End at around 6-5 270 pounds.

Agreed. I don't want us to have to draft another QB. We so badly need Smith to step it up. I'm hoping and praying he can so we can focus on other dire needs and finally put QB farther down the list -- for sure. As long as our new OL-men develop right, are biggest needs really will just be at Pass Rusher, NT, and CB/S. We also need a true #2 WR. Morgan is not good enough for that role.

Sorry, OTC, couldn't disagree more. Smith is NOT the guy. He wasn't in his rookie year, or in any year since. A few games in '06, an opening night game against AZ, 1 quarter against a relaxed Houston defense, and the Monday night game against NO. That's IT during his entire career when he actually looked like an NFL QB. If he plays to that level and we build ALL the rest of the pieces, we could be a 10-6 team. But with a real QB we can be much better, much faster. Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Mark Sanchez and Josh Freeman, all came in and contributed very quickly (Freeman was as raw as they get, and he only took a year and now looks like a very solid option). This is a QB league. Morgan IS good enough. What do I mean by that? Well for one, we have Vernon and Crabtree. He is therefore, the #3 option. What I also mean, is that if Smith is our QB and Sing is our coach, we barely even need him. All we need are backup TEs to throw 3 yard passes to. I don't say this condescendingly, I mean that seriously. How important is a #3 receiving option in our current system? Morgan is often open along the sidelines and can bring in a high pass, but often gets overthrown by Smith. Smith's accuracy is simply not there. I know you watch enough football to see where a guys like Rivers, Manning and Rodgers place the ball. I know deep down you know that Smith simply does not, and has not show the ability to, do so. And finally, what I mean by Morgan IS good enough, is that Morgan is a much better #2 WR than Smith is a QB. The importance of the positions can't even be debated, we all know that. But if for the sake of the argument we assume that the #2 WR is just as important as the QB, then I have to argue that I have much more confidence that Morgan can be a good #2 WR, than I do that Smith can be a good QB. He simply can't. Must I keep reminding people that this team has far and away (with Colts and maybe Dallas the only competition) the proudest QB franchise in history? Tittle, Brody, Joe, Steve and Garcia. And this is what we've been reduced to? I would love it as much as anyone if Smith came out and proved me wrong, but I can't imagine Smith's accuracy improving any more than I can imagine Clements suddenly becoming fast, or Lawson suddenly becoming a pass-rush threat. Singletary is a different issue altogether. My guess (or rather my hope and prayer) that one of these guys comes in next year and brings a QB and knowledge of offensive Xs and Os (the rest of the offense is set up to succeed):

-Mike Gundy
-Chris Peterson
-Urban Meyer (longshot)
-Jim Harbaugh (!!!!!!!)

Sorry if I seem attacking, I don't mean to be, I simply have to be objective, and cannot lie to myself about Alex becoming a great QB (or even a decent one) anymore.
Share 49ersWebzone