LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 357 users in the forums

Positions you want to see drafted next year

Originally posted by waiting4number6:
QBQBQBQBQBQBQQBQBQBQBQBQBQBQBQBQBQBQBQBQBQBQBQBQBQBQBQBQBQBQBQBQQBQBQBQBQBQBQQB

QUARTER-EFFING-BACK. Course we should of gotten last year too...

Who could we have drafted in the first last year? I kind of wanted McCoy in the 3rd but nobody else did. There weren't any other first rounders this year besides Bradford and Tebow who isn't ready to play, and Bradford was pretty much a lock to go #1 to the Rams because they needed their franchise QB.

I still kind of wanted McCoy. He would've fit well in a WCO which we might be running by next year!
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Who could we have drafted in the first last year? I kind of wanted McCoy in the 3rd but nobody else did. There weren't any other first rounders this year besides Bradford and Tebow who isn't ready to play, and Bradford was pretty much a lock to go #1 to the Rams because they needed their franchise QB.

I still kind of wanted McCoy. He would've fit well in a WCO which we might be running by next year!

Clausen and McCoy. Clausen has pure talent and McCoy is underappreciated and has immense intangibles.

Clausen and McCoy. Clausen has pure talent and McCoy is underappreciated and has immense intangibles.

Eh I think Clausen isn't very good and is a bit of a train wreck. I loved McCoy's intangibles though, everyone sees now how much he carried that Texas team after they got stomped by UCLA. But people were mad he didn't have a great arm. But whatever. Would've contributed just as much as Taylor f'ing Mays. But I think before a young QB can even play on this team we have a coaching staff problem to fix and an OLine that needs to gel together.
QB
CB
OG
C
DE
LB
NT

Eh I think Clausen isn't very good and is a bit of a train wreck. I loved McCoy's intangibles though, everyone sees now how much he carried that Texas team after they got stomped by UCLA. But people were mad he didn't have a great arm. But whatever. Would've contributed just as much as Taylor f'ing Mays. But I think before a young QB can even play on this team we have a coaching staff problem to fix and an OLine that needs to gel together.

The O-Line is good enough it's just young (the RT is 20 years old) and missing Heitmann, the main problem is Alex as well as his lack of blitz awareness to help the O-line and Jimmy Raye and his own problems.
can we draft a coach?
Spend all 7 picks on QBs. One has to be good.
OLB - need a better pass rush
CB - more speed and a cover man
WR - a Wes Welker type who can seperate
DT - need more push at the line of scrimage

A qb will be first on my list if Alex does not show marked improvement - reading the defense, leadership skills, better timing with receivers.
QB
CB
OLB
CB
WR
CB
DE
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
QB
CB
OLB
CB
WR
CB
DE

I like it. Maybe pick up a DE in FA.

Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
QB
CB
OLB
CB
WR
CB
DE

One too many CB's. I would throw in an ILB because the depth is non-existent at that position.
Originally posted by Leathaface:

I like that idea.
If the season ended now....

Definite Needs:
CB - Nate Clements is getting up there in age and many of you remember the 8 year 80 million dollar contract. Well it basically is a 6 year, 43.5 million dollar contract. He will NEVER see year 7 and 8 because those years are the other 36.5 million. So 2012 is his last year unless he restructures (although by then he will be 33). Spencer is a good 2 (but is #1 CB on the team), Brown is alright at nickel (I'd prefer him at the 4th or 5th spot). Then we have Will James (1 year contract) who we haven't seen yet due injury. Phillip Adams definitely looked great at CB in the pre season (quick hips, great break) in limited reps but I don't think he has seen the field yet in the regular season. Next year I would like to see it be something like: Spencer, Clements, High Pick Rookie, Adams, Brown and maybe James/vet.

OLB - As of now we have Lawson/Haralson starting. Lawson is a FA after the season and wants big money. He does well in coverage/run d but isn't getting sacks (we have been dropping him in coverage a lot though). Haralson needs to get upgraded. Brooks/LaBoy have taken some of his time (3rd down pass rush) but not sure those guys are every down LBs. If we lose Lawson we definitely need someone within rounds 1-3.

Possible Needs/Depth
QB - If we make the playoffs and Alex does reasonably well we should be able to sign him fairly easy. We also have David Carr for a few years so he could be the next option. If Alex/possibly Carr do horrible this year and we miss the playoffs it would probably be need #1. If we end up with a new coach we probably draft QB round 1. If not we keep Alex or sign/trade for vet.

FS - Goldson has been a liability in coverage which he was last season but he hasn't got a turnover yet (last year he had 4int/3ff so we dealt w/ it.) I think Mays takes over for Lewis at SS and at backup FS is Reggie Smith who looked good in pre season but hasn't looked as good so far in regular season. If Goldson wants big bucks he probably is gone. Not sure I am confident in Reggie Smith.

RG - Rachal has struggled and Snyder/Wragge aren't much better. All there of those guys are free agents within the next 2 years. Really would like an upgrade there if Rachal doesn't get his act together.

3-4 DE - Could use an upgrade opposite of Justin Smith. Isaac Sopoaga is decent but not as good as Smith. Having a guy like Smith on the other side with Franklin would make it one of the top 3-4 DLs. Ray McDonald could be the future but he is often injured (also is a FA next year). I don't think it is a priority but it could be a need come next year.

NT Depth - I am thinking Ricky Jean Francois takes over if Franklin doesn't resign. He was groomed in the pre season to take over and did well and has been playing DE/NT during the first 3 games on occasion.

ILB Depth - I see Willis/Bowman starting next year and behind them we have McKillop and Spikes if he resigns (vet leader/possible starter).

Center For Future - Eric Heitmann is 30 years old... he may have a few years left in him but we have nothing behind him. I am not saying this will be a need next draft but it could be. Baas has done alright replacing him and is a FA next off season. Not sure if he has done enough at C to resign him and I don't want to sign him for G (been there done that).

As of now if we don't address any of these issues in FA I would go something like this:
1st - QB (probably if we got a new coach/If Sing stays we keep Alex or trade/sign vet)
2nd - OLB (Pass Rusher/Every Down LB)
3rd - CB
4th - RG
4th - FS
5th - C
6th - DE
6th - FB
7th - NT Depth
7th - ILB Depth
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Luck and Locker at 5:00 today on ABC and ESPN2. Hope the clicker is working today.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Oct 2, 2010 at 10:37 AM ]
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by Leathaface:

I like that idea.

seriously I think its a reasonable idea for teams lacking a true franchise QB

QB is so far and away the most important position as far as long term success goes, that it's worth it to ignore the other positions until you get it right at QB....otherwise you end up with long term failure like us and the Bills and the Browns etc.
Share 49ersWebzone